Equifax

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Has anyone else received a letter from the credit rating agency Equifax regarding the theft of your personal data from their inadequate storage facility which is hosted in a foreign country? Apparently, amoungst other organisations, my bank has been on a nice little earner flogging my name, address, date of birth, email address and telephone number to this company. Equifax has then stored the information in the good ole US of A without adequate security safeguards, and now it’s been stolen.

I suspect that authority to sell my details is buried deep within the bank’s T&Cs and that I have agreed to them by default or by not proactively disagreeing. By way of compensation, the company which has negligently failed to protect my personal data and thereby exposed me to a greater risk of identity fraud (Equifax), has offered to protect me against said identity fraud in exchange for even more of my personal data. You couldn’t make this up.

So what is our bold and fearless government doing about this crime which is unfolding in front of them? How will they react to this most serious transgression of the very legislation which underpins the whole of the credit rating industry, The Data Protection Act 1998? Well from what I observe, they are bogged down, wasting time and doing “easy” by pondering the question as to whether someone’s gaze rested for a nano second too long on some bint’s jugs back in 1983.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

You couldn't have put that better. That's exactly my thoughts, but we probably disagree on the solution. I want every person to have an identity chip inserted and scanners on every street corner and other significant positions where people transit, so we know where every single person is at any point in time. That doesn't bother me, but I guess that 9 out of 10 people have something to hide: cheating on their employer, cheating on their wives/husbands, cheating the government wrt tax/benefits, etc.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
You couldn't have put that better. That's exactly my thoughts, but we probably disagree on the solution. I want every person to have an identity chip inserted and scanners on every street corner and other significant positions where people transit, so we know where every single person is at any point in time. That doesn't bother me, but I guess that 9 out of 10 people have something to hide: cheating on their employer, cheating on their wives/husbands, cheating the government wrt tax/benefits, etc.
I agree, because I have nothing to hide. However, a comprehensive log of your whereabouts and habits 24/7 is a very valuable commodity for marketing, political snooping and even crime, if it falls into the wrong hands. When handling things of value, the temptation to gain personal benefit becomes irresistible for many people, especially in todays society when everything is measured in money. Therefore, do you trust these muppets to keep your data secure? Can you be sure that it won't be used for unlawful or unfair purposes?

We must remember that our country is administered by the most spectacularly inadequate and incompetent ass-holes you will meet, ever, anywhere on the planet. Many appointed on the basis of hereditary privilege, gender quotas, ethnicity quotas and other non relevant factors. Competency and suitability for post being a long way down the list of essential requirements. Whilst I agree in principle with your suggestion, I would never accept it for the reasons stated.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Take personal responsibility for your identity.

No bank - I've got a suitcase.

No credit(debt) card - only deal in cash.

Only correspond by post.

Use pay as you go sims.

My credit(debt) rating must be zero.

It drives them nuts:)

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Take personal responsibility for your identity.

No bank - I've got a suitcase.

No credit(debt) card - only deal in cash.

Only correspond by post.

Use pay as you go sims.

My credit(debt) rating must be zero.

It drives them nuts:)
I like the idea, but most employers force you into having a bank account so that you can be paid. Gone are the days of the transparent envelope every Thursday.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Do those of you who believe in the (false) adage "nothing to hide, nothing to fear", hang curtains or blinds in your windows? If so, what's your reason for doing so?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Do those of you who believe in the (false) adage "nothing to hide, nothing to fear", hang curtains or blinds in your windows? If so, what's your reason for doing so?
Firstly, heat insulation. It helps to break the airflow convection across the cold glass, especially if the radiator is incorrectly positioned on the wall opposite the window.

Secondly, security. Having curtains makes it less easy for a potential intruder to determine if there is anyone at home.

Privacy isn’t really a concern. If someone wants to peep through my window and observe me lying on the sofa in a pair of urine stained Y fronts & string vest whilst eating crisps and biscuits, they can do so.

Last edited:

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
I like the idea, but most employers force you into having a bank account so that you can be paid. Gone are the days of the transparent envelope every Thursday.
The method of payment is a matter for agreement between you and your employer - take control and negotiate for payment in cash to secure your personal data.

Reactions: tillson

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
I agree, because I have nothing to hide. However, a comprehensive log of your whereabouts and habits 24/7 is a very valuable commodity for marketing, political snooping and even crime, if it falls into the wrong hands. When handling things of value, the temptation to gain personal benefit becomes irresistible for many people, especially in todays society when everything is measured in money. Therefore, do you trust these muppets to keep your data secure? Can you be sure that it won't be used for unlawful or unfair purposes?

We must remember that our country is administered by the most spectacularly inadequate and incompetent ass-holes you will meet, ever, anywhere on the planet. Many appointed on the basis of hereditary privilege, gender quotas, ethnicity quotas and other non relevant factors. Competency and suitability for post being a long way down the list of essential requirements. Whilst I agree in principle with your suggestion, I would never accept it for the reasons stated.
I half agree, but would go further - no personal bias, but exactly how far do you trust the police, or MI5, I wouldn't want to be usefully and recognisably in the frame for a crime I hadn't commit that needed to be buried, and I wouldn't put it beyond them to frame the innocent or abuse this kind of data given what has happened (Hillsborough etc). Much better to leave what happens to my data to my discretion

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and tillson

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
A colleague of mine once suggested that a bar code tattooed on one's bottom, was an ideal identify system. Bar code scanners in every public convience, would provide location data on typically a daily basis . Short of flaying, it would be impossible to steal, and only the constipated would be free!!!

• :D
Reactions: mike killay
D

Deleted member 4366

Firstly, heat insulation. It helps to break the airflow convection across the cold glass, especially if the radiator is incorrectly positioned on the wall opposite the window.

Secondly, security. Having curtains makes it less easy for a potential intruder to determine if there is anyone at home.

Privacy isn’t really a concern. If someone wants to peep through my window and observe me lying on the sofa in a pair of urine stained Y fronts & string vest whilst eating crisps and biscuits, they can do so.
Again, you took the words right out of my mouth!

D

Deleted member 4366

A colleague of mine once suggested that a bar code tattooed on one's bottom, was an ideal identify system. Bar code scanners in every public convience, would provide location data on typically a daily basis . Short of flaying, it would be impossible to steal, and only the constipated would be free!!!
Great idea, but who's going to volunteer to tattoo my backside?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
1984 was on the tele about 10 days ago, lots of good ideas for a comfy society in there. I would want to belong to the class that gets to drink wine instead of cheap gin though... :rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I want every person to have an identity chip inserted and scanners on every street corner and other significant positions where people transit, so we know where every single person is at any point in time.
I'd also be happy with that if possible, but it's not possible when, as Tillson says, we are governed by a bunch of total incompetents, and long have been.

Long ago they managed to cock up the National Insurance Number system for the population so they are unlikely to be able to achieve the personal chipping without unexpected consequences. Like being decked and arrested by the police through belief of one being a wanted criminal from incorrectly registered chip identities.

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
I'd also be happy with that if possible, but it's not possible when, as Tillson says, we are governed by a bunch of total incompetents, and long have been.

Long ago they managed to cock up the National Insurance Number system for the population so they are unlikely to be able to achieve the personal chipping without unexpected consequences. Like being decked and arrested by the police through belief of one being a wanted criminal from incorrectly registered chip identities.
There's a rather good old sci-fi movie called Brazil that's all about that

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't use any net curtains, people see me when I'm out so I couldn't care less about being seen when in. But I do use heavy lined curtains at night for insulation and warmth reasons.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
I use curtains because I often walk around in my birthday suit, especially in summer. Whilst relatively comfortable with oneself, it’s far from the image I wish to project into the minds of passing individuals, particularly juveniles.

As regards to chips, I am 100% for it in principle as I am confident it would smash crime detection rates at a stroke and lead to a vast reduction in future crime. The issue for me unfortunately is that which has already been raised.

D

Deleted member 4366

Not too far in the future, everything will be run by robots. They can already beat world champion humans in the most difficult strategy games. Running a government should be a breeze for them.

• :D
Reactions: mike killay

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Not too far in the future, everything will be run by robots. They can already beat world champion humans in the most difficult strategy games. Running a government should be a breeze for them.
A golf robot that shoots par would make a great POTUS... :D

Advertisers