Ergon GP1 Handlebar Grips

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Like many others on this forum, I suffer the occasional tingling of the hands during a ride. I won't go into the reasons why we get this, as there are a few medical conditions in relation to tingling and pins and needles.

A solution that can either cure or at least alleviate tingling, is to fit ergonomic or comfort handlebar grips.

I bought a pair of Ergon GP1's, after trex linked to them in another thread.
Mine are the large version for normal shifters.

2016-05-06-183.jpg

Here is a photo of one fitted to the left hand side of the bike.

I went for a 15 mile ride and I can definitely say that they are super comfortable, and I immediately felt much more support across the whole of my hand. When fitted correctly, the design stops the wrist from twisting too far downwards, thus improving the blood flow to the hand. I also believe they help prevent damage to the ulnar nerve, but don't quote me as I'm not a doctor.

The most difficult task of fitting these was actually removing the old grips. The GP1's are pretty easy to slide on, and the hex screw on the end prevents the grip from twisting whilst riding.

It's too early to say if I have cured my tingling hand problem, but as these grips are superb in every way, I wouldn't ride without them now.

Pros
  • Easy to fit
  • Really comfortable
  • Provide plenty of grip whether using with or without gloves
  • Look cool
  • May cure tingling hand sensations/problems
Cons
  • Could be considered expensive, £22.49 from CRC
  • May make the rest of your bike look naff :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Solrighal and trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have palm grips on all my bikes.

Ergon are the gold standard, but the cheaper ones do a decent job.

stumpy150

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2015
Yorkshire
I have put some Ergon GP 5 grips on mine after suffering last September while bumbling around North Norfolk.... Not cheap but very comfortable

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Me too, I have the same ones on my Pedelec and bontrager's on my fully human powered bike. The bontrager's do move a little but as I'm a perpetual tinkerer I'm reluctant to glue them on :rolleyes:

lozw

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2016
RG45
I have fitted GP1's to my MTB but am struggling to find an optimum position for them.
What angle to you have yours set at?

I find that whilst I can make my wrist postion flatter, the consequence seems to be that I get more pressure on the bit from thumb to forefinger as that seems to be carrying more of the weight.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have used similar on both MTB bars and now on "Moon" bars with 23° sweep back. They work better for me with sweep back. Tingling went away but I now have suspension on the front. Bars or suspension? Or both? In any case it is good to be able to ride longer distances without losing all feeling in your hands.

lozw

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2016
RG45
moon bars seem a good idea - that may take the pressure off just the one inside spot I find with the straight bars