Erik Buell’s new Fuell Fluid electric bicycle with 200 km range

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
https://electrek.co/2019/04/25/fuell-fluid-electric-bicycle-pre-orders/

Claimed price for the battery pack seems cheap

The Fuell Fluid’s multiple versions have MSRPs ranging from around $3,300-$3,700, but they are available for a 30% discount during the pre-order period. The Fluid-1 with a single battery is $2,299, the Fluid-1 with two batteries is $2,599, and the Fluid-1s with two batteries is $2,645. They are also offering extra battery packs for $299, just in case 200 km (125 mi) of range isn’t quite enough for you.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Another ebike [nightmare] start up :rolleyes:pre order and sit back and wait for the tech to catch up with the real world:oops: this might be the magic one that delivers on time and on budget we can but hope/ dream looks good on papero_O

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well bosch motors for hub gears are 50nm max so at 100nm? it would tear that cheap ass hub to bits in no time esp with the waight of the bike yet no thought that a carbon belt will cost not much less than a new hubo_O

a rohloff hub could just about handle it but there over 1k on there own lol.

• Agree

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I thought an Alfine 8 speed wasn't strong enough for a Bosch Active line. How on Earth will it survive 100Nm? It doesn't add up.

• Agree

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
My alfine 8 road bike has been ok at 36v and 25amps for over a year now with no problems , but you need to cut power while you change gear I just blip the brakes or stop pedals change gear then reapply the power my fattie also has a alfine 8 with a 36 tooth on the motor extra low geared no problems now a nexus 7/8 will die quickly takes about 6 months but the alfine 8 is sturdy now they did a re design early one are uselessIMG_20190407_135753152.jpg

Reactions: Nev and jarob10

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The new 5 speed alfine designed for ebikes is supposed to be out soon had a cube with a alfine 11 with a gates belt not bad but the cost of the rear cog and a new belt ouch not to mention the split rear stay frame new bike was £800 belt and cog £300 + if you can find them out side the US

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
My alfine 8 road bike has been ok at 36v and 25amps for over a year now with no problems , but you need to cut power while you change gear I just blip the brakes or stop pedals change gear then reapply the power my fattie also has a alfine 8 with a 36 tooth on the motor extra low geared no problems now a nexus 7/8 will die quickly takes about 6 months but the alfine 8 is sturdy now they did a re design early one are uselessView attachment 30104
How many miles has it done with the 8 speed Alfine? How often do you use the 25amps? The Alfine is fine with a Bosch if you keep it on eco mode!

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
How many miles has it done with the 8 speed Alfine? How often do you use the 25amps? The Alfine is fine with a Bosch if you keep it on eco mode!
I've got 11,000 miles on a Nexus 8 on a Bosch Classic, used turbo a lot on a lot of climbs, strava gives me rider power figures of 700+ watts at times.

In the vein of this long range bike I wonder how big the battery would need to be to match this ride from today? https://www.strava.com/activities/2323135234

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I think Erik Buell is one of those engineering mavericks possibly even genius, that often do not have what is needed to run a successful and profitable business. I seem to remember reading in Motor Cycle News that his motorcycle production business went bankrupt even though his motorcycle designs were said to be ground breaking.

I think it would be very risky stumping up any money for his new e-bike, there is a reasonable chance it would be money wasted.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The older alfine 8 has endured 3 different bikes 2 motors three chains a rear sprocket swap and several thousand trouble free miles the new one has about 500 miles on the 25 amp
The two important things to remember the yellow dots must align even if only slightly out the gears will grind instant death and always use one gear down than you think to keep the motor spinning
The Bosch that has a small chain wheel will destroy any igh through chain whip the power take up is harsh at 14 teeth the alfine was designed to have the spread of a triple chainwheel on the front and 9 speed on the rear 307% up to 409% 0n the 700 series

Reactions: Artstu

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I seem to remember reading in Motor Cycle News that his motorcycle production business went bankrupt even though his motorcycle designs were said to be ground breaking.
He started up in 1983 and exactly 20 years later Harley Davdson bought his company and continued to make Buells for 6 years before shutting down Buell in October 2009 to concentrate on their own brand.

In November 2009 Eric restarted Buell making some racing machines and a road version, but he's always been a small scale producer. The e-bike will probably be low volume too and I can't see it ever being profitable at this sort of price.