Error 60

peteribrooks

Just Joined
Nov 12, 2023
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice regarding an error code 60 on my partners Riverside 500E. This error code is appearing after she has cycled about 1 mile and she looses the pedal assist when this happened. This error does clear after the bike is turned off for a while but this can sometimes take hours to clear.

When this bike was first purchased she was able to cycle assisted for 10 mile without any problems but after a week or 2 of owning the bike this error started appearing earlier and earlier every use.

I know this is covered by the warranty but as the store is quite distance from home and I can not get hold of the van I used to collect this I wanted to see if anyone knew a quick fix to this fault.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice regarding an error code 60 on my partners Riverside 500E. This error code is appearing after she has cycled about 1 mile and she looses the pedal assist when this happened. This error does clear after the bike is turned off for a while but this can sometimes take hours to clear.

When this bike was first purchased she was able to cycle assisted for 10 mile without any problems but after a week or 2 of owning the bike this error started appearing earlier and earlier every use.

I know this is covered by the warranty but as the store is quite distance from home and I can not get hold of the van I used to collect this I wanted to see if anyone knew a quick fix to this fault.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
According to the manual, code 60 is the infamous communications error, which means the LCD can't communicate with the motor controller. That could be caused by something direct, like a connection issue or damaged cable, or an indirect cause, like a short on the 5v anywhere on the bike or a software/firmware issue.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Are you sure the battery isn't just worn out? To only get 10 miles from an 11.6Ah/418Wh battery when the bike was "first purchased" suggests your partner isn't putting much (if any) effort into her cycling (i.e. just "ghost" pedaling?)... that's punishingly hard on a battery. On a bike/battery like that with moderate effort most would likely get 20-25 miles reasonably easily. It would also explain why on each subsequent outing she's getting progressively less and less mileage before it cuts out... and the battery springing back after it's been left awhile. Who knows if that would cause an error to be displayed (it wouldn't on my own bikes)?

You did say "was first purchased" rather than say "new": Sometimes even new batteries aren't perfect, but used ones should definitely be treated with suspicion.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Are you sure the battery isn't just worn out? To only get 10 miles from an 11.6Ah/418Wh battery when the bike was "first purchased" suggests your partner isn't putting much (if any) effort into her cycling (i.e. just "ghost" pedaling?)... that's punishingly hard on a battery. On a bike/battery like that with moderate effort most would likely get 20-25 miles reasonably easily. It would also explain why on each subsequent outing she's getting progressively less and less mileage before it cuts out... and the battery springing back after it's been left awhile. Who knows if that would cause an error to be displayed (it wouldn't on my own bikes)?

You did say "was first purchased" rather than say "new": Sometimes even new batteries aren't perfect, but used ones should definitely be treated with suspicion.
I think he means that she was able to complete 10 miles without problems, not until the battery was flat, but I'll let him answer if that's wrong. If the battery was defective, you wouldn't get error code 60.

Advertisers