Every Death on Every Road - 1999 to 2010

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, in comparison to the concentration of people and vehicles in such a small area, all our road accident figures are in truth low, and extraordinarily so compared with any other country in the world.

It's something we can genuinely be proud of.

As an aside, it seems walking is more dangerous, apparently 44% more walking deaths than cycling ones per unit of distance travelled.

Still, the high proportion of cyclist deaths due to being crushed under left turning lorries is still a matter of great concern, and as much a matter for cyclists to address as anyone else. A few are still putting themselves in the most dangerous positions.

And London deaths of cyclists so far this year are rising again, 2009 = 13; 2010 = 10; 2011 so far = 15.

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
In my area there have been three cycling fatalities. Two cyclists killed by cars and one pedestrian killed by a cycle.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How things were in the UK:

1930....1 million cars....7300 road deaths

2010....over 26 million cars....1857 road deaths

Until June 1935, one went into a Post Office to buy a driving licence, no test was necessary, just get in and drive! And that could be as fast as you liked most of the time, there was no national speed limit, just a 30 limit in built up areas that had lamp posts closer than a certain distance.

Ah, the good old days - - - - -

Morgann

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2011
As an aside, it seems walking is more dangerous, apparently 44% more walking deaths than cycling ones per unit of distance travelled.
Ahh... But does that include Old Dears pegging out from coronaries while tottering down to the shop to buy cat food?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ahh... But does that include Old Dears pegging out from coronaries while tottering down to the shop to buy cat food?
Yes, but the deaths while cycling, and indeed all transport use, can also include such things, medically linked road accidents caused by collapse.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
WOW! Found the density of cyclist deaths in Bournemouth (21 cyclists out of a total of 49 deaths in the period) alarming!! Significantly higher 'hit' rate than Liverpool for instance. Around the A3040/A347 line into Bournemouth centre being particularly awlful (6) for what is a suburban road rather than main trunk. I live about a mile from here. Just confirms my opinion that most drivers of vehicles around Bournemouth show little if any respect for cyclists. Bournemouth Council is also very backward in the provision of cycles lanes compared to other South Coast towns such as Eastbourne/Brighton etc. which seem to have excellent cycling networks. Mrs O and I always head out into the hinterland for a nice peaceful ride off road or on very minor country lanes. A good road for us is the sort that is single width and has various forms of muck etc down its centre line - indicating operhaps an odd tractor or two!

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
During my many night rides I've noticed the most types of vehicles on the roads are taxis & goods vehicles, lots of taxis on Friday/Saturday nights and goods vehicles almost every night right into daylight hours.

On that map there appears to be only one cyclist death in my area, I guess it's because the many hills put people off cycling, and there are several cycletracks which are away from the road and it's growing because "they're" busy getting the canal back into working operation so that's one pathway slowly getting better (it does make you concentrate more when cycling immediately next to deep water!).