anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Shorts burnt, ooooo nasty! :eek:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
With Li-ion batteries, one must always be most careful, no question.

The "secret" that I have kept to myself, is to is to tell anyone who asks, that they should buy the best quality batteries....
I buy only Panasonic myself.
I think that in this kit that caught fire, they were most likely cheap no-name batteries.
Also maybe the lack (?) of a main fuse to blow, when over current is drawn, could have also be part of the problem....

As could a badly/wrongly set up controller!! Getting full details from Chinese companies selling controllers on ebay, is as a friend of mine said,as good as impossible!!!

There are many instances on YouTube of e-bikes catching fire....here are just a few:-

People can die, here 4 died:-

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu

russ18uk

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2018
Everyone is using the "Pinarello" tag in the headline for clickbait when it should be "ebike kit battery".
It's the sort of thing you'd expect from the Fail, Sun, Mirror.

Something to think about with using co2 cartridges on an e-bike should a fire happen.
The canisters will explode, yes, but so will the cells, as Rich Rebuilds found out. Another couple of explody devices isn't too much to worry about when you have another 60 or so firecrackers.

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

russ18uk

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2018
With Li-ion batteries, one must always be most careful, no question.

The "secret" that I have kept to myself, is to is to tell anyone who asks, that they should buy the best quality batteries....
I buy only Panasonic myself.
I think that in this kit that caught fire, they were most likely cheap no-name batteries.
Also maybe the lack (?) of a main fuse to blow, when over current is drawn, could have also be part of the problem....

As could a badly/wrongly set up controller!! Getting full details from Chinese companies selling controllers on ebay, is as a friend of mine said,as good as impossible!!!

There are many instances on YouTube of e-bikes catching fire....here are just a few:-
The issue was that, in an Australian summer (even though it was morning), along with the fact that the motor was pushing uphill, AND likely the fact that the motor was asking more of the cells than what they were designed for. Cheap or expensive, if you push them more they can give, bad things will happen. The battery wasn't built for the task the old man needed.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
And asbestos underwear is now illegal! :(

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A lot of this **** is because builders (diy) of batteries think all you need to do is weld batteries together or even worse the cowboys who solder cells together.
How many actually think about how easy it is for the flimsy heat shrink to melt and cause a short when the buss bar gets hot and shorts the positive buss straight to the negative can. Cells do have an insulator ring but this is under the shrink so doesn't help protect shrink melting.
How many use an extra cell top insulators on the + terminal.
About 98% of a lithium can is a negative pole and only the vey top of the can has the positive pole (which it he central raised cap) so once a buss is welded to the + end it's path lays straight across it's negative pole (the can).
Nickel is also a poor conductor so a battery for high power needs more then just a 0.15mm nickel which is only good for 4.5a optimum or 6.6a acceptable @1mm2, typically 0.15mm x 7.5mm nickel is only good for 5a opt or 7.4a acc. If using 10a cells or greater then consideration needs to given on the buss materials optimum & acceptable rating to handle the series current flow.

Selecting the best cell makers helps, though a lot of 2nds cells are re -wrapped under other names.