Ezee Hub Motor Problem

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
Hi folks.
I have just picked up a rear Ezee hub motor to replace my front Ezee motor.
I have had to add new connectors to it to match that of the Ezee controller.
It seems to run ok and climbs hills drawing 22 Amps, the same as the old wheel did.
The problem I have is that it tops out at about 17-18mph where as the old motor used to do 26-27 mph !!
I had to wire up a new connector for the 5 wire hall sensor and wondering if one of the wires isn’t making a good connection. (Just my uneducated guess)
could that cause it? Also it does grumble a bit when pulling away from a standstill.
Any ideas?

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
Also the controller is making a strange noise when slow and under load and get hot quickly

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
When you get that rasping noise, the controller has lost sync with the motor. you mustn't try and run it like that because the motor draws a massive current that can do all sorts of damage.

Check all your motor connections again and check that the motor cable isn't damaged, especially where it comes out of the motor.

Reactions: wehey

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The speed might be down to the hubs winding speed do you know the motor rpm new and old ?
The snyc might be that the phase /halls are connected in the hub in a different order so you may have to try a different combo/order of wires.
If the controller isn't self learning then if all else fails try the chart below 36 combos to try and only 3 or 4 will be any good.
Phase-Hall-Wire-Combinations.png

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
The speed might be down to the hubs winding speed do you know the motor rpm new and old ?
The snyc might be that the phase /halls are connected in the hub in a different order so you may have to try a different combo/order of wires.
If the controller isn't self learning then if all else fails try the chart below 36 combos to try and only 3 or 4 will be any good.
View attachment 37732
The old motor is 250 and I would think that the new one is the same. The only other one they sell is a 350 and would run faster I presume.
I wired up the hall sensors so the colours match up exactly from the Ezee controller to the motor.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One can't take it for granted that the motors are the same RPM winding, the motor wattage is just a rating and no indication of it's speed.

If the wiring is sound and connections are good then wiring order will likely need changing for correct sync, using the chart to try all 36 possible combo's. As one goes a long notes need to be made for each change as to its performance.

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
One can't take it for granted that the motors are the same RPM winding, the motor wattage is just a rating and no indication of it's speed.

If the wiring is sound and connections are good then wiring order will likely need changing for correct sync, using the chart to try all 36 possible combo's. As one goes a long notes need to be made for each change as to its performance.
It’s definitely not a winding issue.
@ 48v the 250rpm should do 26 mph and the 350rpm should do 29 mph :)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Do you mean the hall sensor wires or the phase wires.
Sorry if it’s a daft question but I’m not too clued up about this part of the motor
All 36 combinations in the chart above. 3 combinations should give the correct forward motion and 3 backwards. All the rest should cause stuttering, clicking or nothing, but it is possible to get false positives, which give the symptoms you have.

I know from experience that you can get weird timing issues with Ezee motors, where they only want to run with certain controllers, which may be well what you have, but you need to go through the combinations first to eliminate that as a cause.

For the hall wires, it helps to make an adapter where you can easily swap round the wires. These are quite useful. You need male to female.

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
So I have now tried all 36 combinations.
2 of them produce the same symptoms as in the video and 1 runs the motor but is worse than the other 2.
I'm at a bit of a loss as of what to do now?
I will fit and wire up the old motor for now whilst I do some more research

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
if it is an incompatibility issue then not much can be done even though both items are via Ezee, has one double checked the hub motor connector near to the axle is properly and fully home to the stop line.

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
if it is an incompatibility issue then not much can be done even though both items are via Ezee, has one double checked the hub motor connector near to the axle is properly and fully home to the stop line.
Would the motor still run if one of the phase wires was faulty
Is there any way of testing them?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Using vrf's technique one can carry our an ohm's test on any pair of phases to see if there is a short.
Have you tested for hall failure ?

With the controller connected can you quickly rotate the wheel forward with no resistance ?

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
Using vrf's technique one can carry our an ohm's test on any pair of phases to see if there is a short.
Have you tested for hall failure ?

With the controller connected can you quickly rotate the wheel forward with no resistance ?
No i have tested the phases or halls. I don't know how to do either of these?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As vfr stated all the Phases use a common grounding so if you probe any pair they will tell you if a shirt is present set the meter to ohms 200k and get a reading if you get 0 then a short is present.

The hand rotation of the motor wheel is simple, if it doesn't free wheel quickly then you have an issue. Tell us how it feels when you do the test.

Hall tetsing.

wehey

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2014
Thanks
So I have tested the hall wires and they all register 4.65v
I have tested all combinations of the phase wires and they all shown a positive number on the lowest setting (0.6)
It freewheels the same as the other Ezee wheel does.

Last edited: