eZee Liv - 48v conversion and initial problems

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
As promised I've added a couple of pictures of my 48v conversion on an eZee Liv.

It's the earlier model with Brushed motor. It came to me from a friend who was scrapping it. The battery had been retained by the dealer who had condemned it, the owner retained the charger (he has 2 other eZees) and I paid £25 for the bike.

It's very tidy but was well overdue a service. Its had that, including the motor stripped to clean/derust/lube the freewheel mechanism.

I ran it up and down the street using a standard battery off my wife's Torq and it behaved just how these Livs do - sluggishly.

I have someone who is keen to buy it if I can pep up the performance. Given that, I decided to do a 48v conversion on the bike - given I needed a new battery and charger anyway.

I purchased the vertical, drop in battery from BMS. 48volt, 10ah and supplied with fitting equipment.

The fitting should be straightforward and it is to a degree. You do need at least basic workshop facilities and a workstand though.

I'll post some pics and come back later - I do have issues I'd like to discuss!

This is the battery:

This is the modified connecter. The pins are in a different orientation to the eZee ones:

This is the battery and new brushed controller as fitted:

I'll post a bit more about it later

Last edited:

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
On the initial lash up - with the bike still on the stand I ran the motor up. All was good for about 2 minutes - running / applying brake / running against light brake pressure etc, and then it stopped!

I stripped the controller and it had blown a FET. :( I took a chance, picked one (that looked the same!) off an old power inverter board, and soldered that in place of the blown one. Tried again, 30 seconds later another FET smoked.

Everything with voltage markings within the controller was 63v. The controller is clearly marked 48v and that's what I'm using.

Anyway a replacement was ordered and has arrived. I fitted that during the weekend and it passed all the initial running tests OK>

I know that d8veh had expressed mild concern as to whether the battery could deliver adequate ampage (48v 10ah) so I took off yesterday on an extended hilly ride.

I'd done about 1.5 miles of flat and then started to climb a steep hill (don't know how steep but a standard eZee Torq struggles up it.) The hill climbing capability seemed fine although we would have been drawing maybe 18/20a.

About half a mile into the climb the bike stopped. I'm sure I smelled burning although the controller didn't feel too hot.

I haven't summoned the enthusiasm to strip it again yet but I'm sure I'm going to find a burt controller.

This is what I have been using:

Any thoughts? A brushless controller limits the current it will pull according to the shunt value amongst other things. The brushed controller is constructed differently - does there need to be some additional current limitation device to stop it going into melt down?

Thanks

C

Cyclezee

Hi Dave,

Slight divergence from your thread, but I note that amongst your fine stable of eZee bikes that you list a Torq Mk3 which is a Torq Mk2, I'm slightly :confused: coz a Torq 3 is different to a Torq 2 in several respects.

Just wondered if you might satisfy my curiosity:)

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Hi Dave,

Slight divergence from your thread, but I note that amongst your fine stable of eZee bikes that you list a Torq Mk3 which is a Torq Mk2, I'm slightly :confused: coz a Torq 3 is different to a Torq 2 in several respects.

Just wondered if you might satisfy my curiosity:)
Ah, its the way I tell 'em!

It's eZee Torq number 3. And number 3 Torq is a Mk2 - they're all Chinese anyway!

I'll have to redo that list anyway as the Torq number 1 was returned to 36v and sold yesterday :)

eZee Torq number 2 (also a Mk 1) may be going as well as the wife is considering the offerings available in the Kudos sale (traitor).

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Ah, its the way I tell 'em!

It's eZee Torq number 3. And number 3 Torq is a Mk2 - they're all Chinese anyway!

I'll have to redo that list anyway as the Torq number 1 was returned to 36v and sold yesterday :)

eZee Torq number 2 (also a Mk 1) may be going as well as the wife is considering the offerings available in the Kudos sale (traitor).
Think I understand .......almost, but just need to correct you on one detail, eZee bikes are not entirely Chinese.

As for your wife, might I suggest that she seeks help....urgently:eek:

D

Deleted member 4366

Interesting that those FETs blew. I can't think of a reason unless they're cheap Chinese knock-offs. You need to open the controller just to confirm the problem. Assuming that it is the FETs, I'd try a different controller.

It could also be a blown FET in the BMS.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
I'll open it up in the next day or two and post findings and pics.

The battery is still indicating its OK - reading about 51v at the output plug.

Both controllers were identical. There is another type/make listed on eBay and I'll probably try that one next.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Dave,

We can supply an upgrade kit that will handle 48v no problem.

It includes the latest eZee controller, latest LED console which allows various parameter settings, new waterproof wiring loom with push fit connectors, pedelec sensor, brake levers with cutoffs, half width twist grip throttle and handle bar grips to match. £125 + delivery.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Hi Dave,

We can supply an upgrade kit that will handle 48v no problem.

It includes the latest eZee controller, latest LED console which allows various parameter settings, new waterproof wiring loom with push fit connectors, pedelec sensor, brake levers with cutoffs, half width twist grip throttle and handle bar grips to match. £125 + delivery.
This has the early brushed motor John. Is the kit you mention suitable?

C

Cyclezee

Sorry Dave,
I forgot it was a brushed motor so the upgrade kit is not compatible:(

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Bike up and running fine.

Moral is don't jump to conclusions! Nothing wrong with the controller, just a bad connection from the loom to the motor wires.

Having predetermined that the controller had obviously smoked again I wasted about an hour before checking the more obvious areas of potential failure.

Hill climbing trials for it tomorrow. Seems to pull well and revs to 340 revs/min. :cool:

Advertisers