Ezee Sprint chain tightening

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
The chain on my Sprint needs tightening and I believe it involves tightening two nuts at the end of the frame, however, is this an easy thing to do? or should I put the bike into a bike shop for this to be done? Are special tools required ? If I carry on riding with a slack chain for a while will it be dangerous? thanks for any replies.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The illustration on the 50cycles site isn't clear enough to be absolutely sure Jeanette, but it looks like your bike has rear opening slots and end adjusters.

If so, first remove the battery and turn the bike upside down. Then it's a case of slackening the wheel nuts on both sides and also the bolt clamping the brake torque arm where it clips to the frame on the left hand side forward of the wheel nut. You'll need two 10 mm spanners for that, one to stop the bolt turning while you loosen the nut with the other.

Then you tighten the frame end adjuster nuts clockwise a little at a time, keeping the adjustment amount even each side until the chain slack is taken up leaving about half an inch up and down slack. When you think it's right, pedal the cranks backwards and make sure there's no tight spots where the chain goes very tight. When you know that's ok, tighten the wheel nuts and then the brake torque arm bolt and nut.

Check the wheel looks central in the frame and the wheel still runs free. Then turn the bike upright again, job done. Doing this doesn't alter the brake adjustment.

If your bike doesn't have frame end adjusters, it's just manually pulling back the wheel and re-tightening the wheel nuts, checking the wheel remains central in the frame while doing it.

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Many thanks Flec, I'l print your reply off and this weekend will look at my bike closely, your instructions are, as always, very clear, and from memory, fits in with the type of fitting on my bike.

I'll let you know how I get on after the weekend

kind regards
Jeanette:)

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Dear Flec,

Well it took me a while to get the bike, the tools and the time together, and I said I would let you know how I got on. I followed your instructions and I am delighted to say I now have a tighter chain and the bike is riding much better. Many thanks indeed.

Am I correct in thinking that having a loose chain would make the bike harder to pedal? I seem to have trouble pedalling under my own steam, even on the flat - this may be because I am often in a hurry and when I cut the power, and once it has slowed down, progress under my own steam is much reduced. However, it is probably because I am a whimp ! - electric bikes by their nature are heavy.

I have also raised the handlebars today a little, following the instructions you gave to another member. Again with perfect ease. I suffer with shoulder problems and even a small adjustment makes all the difference. I am looking forward to a better ride to work tomorrow morning consequently.

Can a chain be too tight? it seems to be working well, I treated it to some oil once I finished the job.

I'm so glad I found this site it is full of very useful, and inspiring items, I like the videos links they look interesting I must watch more when I have time.

Jeanette

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A chain can be too tight Jeanette, but as long as there is a little vertical free play a fairly new bike like yours will be alright. Once a chain is well worn, it can develop tight spots due to wear being uneven. In other words, there can be enough slack at one point of rotation, but tightening too much at another, so adjustment has to be for the tightest point to have some slack.

A loose chain won't increase drag unless it's nearly falling off or very worn. Electric assist bikes are generally difficult to pedal without power, only the Twist series being reasonable in this respect. Those with hub motors like your Sprint do have some drag due to the hub. This isn't noticeable when you push the bike at walking pace, but at cycling speeds it increases. There is an internal freewheel which disconnects the motor when pedalling without power, but the rotating wheel is still having to turn the orbital gears in the hub, and it's those and their grease that give rise to the drag.

The other part of the drag comes from the wide tyres and the extra weight of an electric bike bearing down on those. The friction and flexing of the rubber on the road all absorb energy, and it's best to keep the tyres up to full pressure all the time to make pedalling as easy as possible.

When there's any risk of the battery not lasting a trip, I always carry a spare in one pannier to ensure I don't have to struggle without power in my area, hilly like yours.

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Thanks for the information. The chain seems fine this morning and I had a very comfortable and faster commute in to work this morning. I think I have left enough slack, there is a slight "gap/klonk" of the pedal to the chain if I don't keep the tension on the pedals even but I suspect this is riding technique and consentration on pedalling with the ball of my foot, pulling backwards etc stops this happening.

My saddle is rather creeky, very comfortable, this is no doubt because it has springs underneath - it is can be disconcerting though as I listen out for any noises as a sign of the bike having a problem and sometimes at speed on the road it can sound as if the noise is coming from the front wheel. I need to be confident, having done weekly and daily checks, and not worry about strange noises ! small stones hitting the mudguard for example.

Jeanette

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Motor cyclists use earplugs Jeanette, and remain blissfully unaware of such concerns! :D Probably why they often upset others with their noise.

redalpha3

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2006
My saddle is rather creeky, very comfortable, this is no doubt because it has springs underneath - it is can be disconcerting though as I listen out for any noises as a sign of the bike having a problem and sometimes at speed on the road it can sound as if the noise is coming from the front wheel. I need to be confident, having done weekly and daily checks, and not worry about strange noises ! small stones hitting the mudguard for example.

Jeanette
Hi Jeanette. If it is any consolation, I get all of these noises from my sprint too plus a disconcerting rattle from the plastic mudguards! However, I use mine on cycle paths reclaimed from old railway tracks, and I have yet to find that something has dropped off. It doesn't stop me from checking though!;) The most irritating noise is, as you mention, bits of gravel are picked up by the tyre and being dragged the full length of the mudguards before falling to the floor. I may resort to some earplugs too!:D

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

I get a noise from the motor when starting from a standstill but i also help with a slight pedel then as speed picks up it is silent right up to 22mph also my bike stand did have a slight rattle which has been cured with some grease.NIGEL.:D