Ezee Sprint home maintenance

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Hi,

I have just adjusted my front brakes as they were rather slack. I regularly check my tyres and oil my chain. I wonder though how often should I have my bike professionally serviced? Is there anything else I should be checking on routinely on my home maintenance?

My front break blocks are showing signs of wear, still some way to go before they will need changing, are these easy to change at home?

Hope everyone is getting out and about on their bikes with the good weather we now have. I enjoy my bike very much, indeed, and cannot imagine life without my electric bike now.

Thanks for any service tips
Jeanette

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Hello Jeanette,

Bikes such as your Sprint require very little in the way of routine maintenance, especially if not stored outdoors, the main things being tyre pressures, brake adjustment and chain lubrication which you are obviously aware of.

In addition it is a good idea to occasionally check for loose or broken spokes, make sure the wheels and pedals rotate freely, smoothly and are true, and just go round the bike with a spanner to check that nothing has come loose. If these simple checks reveal no problems then a professional service is unlikely to be necessary.

Front brake blocks are not too difficult to change but can be quite fiddely if you're not used to doing it. If you have a friendly local bike shop they will most likely do it while you wait for a very small charge.

Hope this helps,

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Thanks very much Ian.

I shall take your advice regarding the brake pads when they are low and I am grateful to you for suggesting the other home checks. Fortunately our bikes are stored in the dry which will preserve them somewhat from the elements, especially the salt air as we live near the beach.

Kind regards
Jeanette

Sector

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2007
Leicestershire Le8
Jeanette,

My Sprint has done 1540 miles now, and besides covering the points in Ian's message I have done the following:

Chain Tension
Chains wear and stretch with use and the slack needs to be taken up or there is a risk of the chain coming off the sprocket while you are pedalling. I've adjusted once.

Broken Speedometer Cable
My speedometer stopped working and the indicated mileage stopped increasing. 50Cycles said I should look for a break in the wire from the sensor on the front forks. I found a break, soldered the ends together and insulated the joint with self-amalamating tape. Problem solved. The wire looks to be the same as that used for the rear light on the Quando, and that failed last winter. In that case I replaced the whole run if cable because it was easy to get to both ends to make new connections. (My Sprint has an LCD display on the handlebars, which is a novel feature, and might not apply to your bike).

The Sprint is a wonderful bike. I also have a Quando and three conventional bikes, and I ride them all for fun, but the Sprint does most of the mileage.

Last edited:

Tintaglia

Pedelecer
May 23, 2007
Nr. Newquay, Cornwall
Hi,

Hope everyone is getting out and about on their bikes with the good weather we now have. I enjoy my bike very much, indeed, and cannot imagine life without my electric bike now.

Jeanette
Hi Jeanette,

We live in Cornwall as well (near Newquay) and agree with you that it is great riding country for an electric bike (but a bit hilly without one). Earlier this week I rode from Newquay to Par (North coast to South coast) via the Eden Project cycle trails and the new A30 bypass track across Goss Moor. Although the mundane purpose was to collect my car that I had left at Par station it was a fantastic ride with the hedgerows along the lanes full of wildflowers and I hardly saw any traffic. Hope we get some more decent weather this Summer after such a lousy Bank Holiday weekend!

Regards, Julie