Factory Reset.

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
I changed the display from KPH to MPH and since then, although everything works fine, I get no speed indication. I've tried reverting to KPH but still no go. I've also disconnected the battery for a few seconds to no avail.

Is there a way to do a factory reset on the VLCD5 or are there any other suggestions?

Pete

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I changed the display from KPH to MPH and since then, although everything works fine, I get no speed indication. I've tried reverting to KPH but still no go. I've also disconnected the battery for a few seconds to no avail.

Is there a way to do a factory reset on the VLCD5 or are there any other suggestions?

Pete
I think in an earlier post you told us it was a crank drive?

If so has the magnet fallen off the spoke or moved a bit?

Reactions: PeterPi

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
It seems to be in the right place and I still get peddle assist, but I'll try again tomorrow. I'll remove it completely and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
On mine if I move the magnet everything still works apart from speed/distance information ( and any associated function of same )

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
On mine if I move the magnet everything still works apart from speed/distance information ( and any associated function of same )
Yes, because I was getting peddle assist I assumed the controller was picking up the pulse from the hall effect. I tried it earlier with the magnet removed and as you say it still worked.

I reattached the magnet and all is working again, even in MPH. I think the gap is just about at the limit and I'm going to have to reposition the hall effect sensor and the magnet.

I wonder if it goes into a default, similar to the get you home "limp mode" on a motor vehicle.

Thanks
Pete (GW4NFJ, QTH Swansea)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It the magnet gap it too large you could close the gap with another
small magnet on top of the existing.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Yes, because I was getting peddle assist I assumed the controller was picking up the pulse from the hall effect. I tried it earlier with the magnet removed and as you say it still worked.

I reattached the magnet and all is working again, even in MPH. I think the gap is just about at the limit and I'm going to have to reposition the hall effect sensor and the magnet.
Good I’m glad that worked out, I did think that was probably the case because when I first set mine up I didn’t bother fitting the magnet in my impatience to have a quick ride up and down the street, the behaviour was exactly as you described :)

73 Paul

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
Good I’m glad that worked out, I did think that was probably the case because when I first set mine up I didn’t bother fitting the magnet in my impatience to have a quick ride up and down the street, the behaviour was exactly as you described :)

73 Paul
Strange that it does that. Must mean that you can exceed the 25 KPH limit if its not on there.