Failed on my first big hill

KevinMull

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2016
I went out on my maiden trip at the weekend on my shiny (now muddy!) new Wisper 905 Torque and I failed miserably to get up my first major hill. I'd only done about 100 yards and ran out of steam so had to give up the ghost and walk up using walk mode :(

Ditto the above for my brother with a Scott Sub Tour.

Cromford Hill (B5036), Derbyshire, 12% gradient increasing to 17%, 1 mile long
Google maps
If anyone's familiar with The High Peak Trail in the Peak district then the incline is similar to the beginning/end of the trail at from Cromford up to Middleton Top.

Me:
50 years, 13 stone, average fitness.
I was in the highest assist mode in the lowest gear with about half power of battery remaining.
It was at the end of about 20 miles cycling on the trail and around Matlock.

Am I asking too much of the bike at this gradient or is just my lack of fitness or simply not quite used to the bike and the different techniques required for an e-bike?

We were frustrated to say the least as we had ambitions of doing the hills in the Lake District for the first time. After this then maybe we need a rethink and were being over optimistic of what the bikes and ourselves are capable of

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That looks kind of steep even on Google Earth photos. Then it doesn't look much steeper than the climb up from Behobie on the D180.

Age has nothing to do with things, weight and fitness yes. 82 kg isn't overweight, I am 78 kg and my unfit weight is 81 kg. "Average fitness" doesn't exist, we all have a fit or unfit level which is individual.

What was your cadence? In lowest gear and spinning at 60 or above?

What gearing do you have on the back?

KevinMull

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2016
That looks kind of steep even on Google Earth photos. Then it doesn't look much steeper than the climb up from Behobie on the D180.

Age has nothing to do with things, weight and fitness yes. 82 kg isn't overweight, I am 78 kg and my unfit weight is 81 kg. "Average fitness" doesn't exist, we all have a fit or unfit level which is individual.

What was your cadence? In lowest gear and spinning at 60 or above?

What gearing do you have on the back?
Not sure what my cadence was, but in lowest gear and not spinning that fast.
8 gears derailleur.

The reviewer of this bike on Pedelecs did a 12% gradient several times and in different modes!

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/electric-bike-reviews/wisper-905-torque-review/

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Big hills are where the humble throttle shines.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
A big high torque hub Ezee etc. or a mid drive WITH the correct gearing.
A cadence detecting mid drive (BBS01) will climb at low speed the hill you describe with no rider input if geared low enough.

After looking up Strava (below) are you sure you had not just over done the ride and had nothing left in the riders tank to assist the motors?
https://www.strava.com/segments/618602

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the throttle delivers 100% motor power while you can rest up your legs.
TS bikes can't deliver 100% power if you are too tired to pedal hard.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
the throttle delivers 100% motor power while you can rest up your legs.
TS bikes can't deliver 100% power if you are too tired to pedal hard.
But a cadence sensor bike can deliver full power by turning the pedals with zero effort and a low rpm.
And since a throttle is now illegal...

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
both bikes that failed to get up that big hill were TS.
The OP would have flatten that big hill on an Ezee.
Throttles are tolerated on new bikes until 1/1/2018.

Reactions: hoppy

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
both bikes that failed to get up that big hill were TS.
The OP would have flatten that big hill on an Ezee.
Throttles are tolerated on new bikes until 1/1/2018.
I didn't pick up the op's own bike was a TS.
Nice news about the throttles, they are already no longer fitting them (or limiting to 6 kph) down here.

OP maybe see if a throttle can be retro fitted in that case.

Reactions: KevinMull

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Me:
I was in the highest assist mode in the lowest gear with about half power of battery remaining.
You need to be very fit to ride a torque sensor bike up hills, along the flat they will give you a good workout but to get the best out of them you need to pedal continuously, tired legs or lack of energy will show up their short comings. The TS bikes only reflect the effort you can put in.
TS for athletic types for hill climbing and for any one on level ground other wise cadence sensing bikes for both with good gearing.
I am of a similar age and weight bar half a stone and have ridden a TS s-ped and it certainly gave me a good work out but decided it was not for me.

Reactions: trex

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I went out on my maiden trip at the weekend on my shiny (now muddy!) new Wisper 905 Torque and I failed miserably to get up my first major hill. I'd only done about 100 yards and ran out of steam so had to give up the ghost and walk up using walk mode :(

Ditto the above for my brother with a Scott Sub Tour.

Cromford Hill (B5036), Derbyshire, 12% gradient increasing to 17%, 1 mile long
Google maps
If anyone's familiar with The High Peak Trail in the Peak district then the incline is similar to the beginning/end of the trail at from Cromford up to Middleton Top.

Me:

Am I asking too much of the bike at this gradient or is just my lack of fitness or simply not quite used to the bike and the different techniques required for an e-bike?

We were frustrated to say the least as we had ambitions of doing the hills in the Lake District for the first time. After this then maybe we need a rethink and were being over optimistic of what the bikes and ourselves are capable of
I'm the same age and weight roughly, my bike won't be quite as powerful as the Scott (KTM Macina cross) but I'd have no trouble up there.
I could actually ride up on 1/2 power (Tour)

Just keep riding them, and avoid the steepest climbs for a while, you'll get there.
I often come across people who think my bike is doing all the work, I know that's not true and your post shows that.

ETA, You say you're average fitness, which I find interesting, I had always thought that anyone of average fitness would have no trouble, I may have to reconsider that view.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobF

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
maybe we need a rethink and were being over optimistic of what the bikes and ourselves are capable of
That is the case, ultimately it's about the very limited power of legal e-bike motors. It's around a third to a half of a horse power at hill climbing speeds with an average rider, and the technical 746 watts per horse power represents a rather small horse.

Even a whole medium size real horse can find it a bit tough carrying a rider up a 12% and will often struggle on a 17%.

You need to make up the difference by persisting in order to get more fit and meanwhile, as others have said, use a cadence sensing bike to allow it to help at it's best even when you are struggling. Once fit enough, a torque sensing bike will also be ok.

KevinMull

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2016
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't realise the differences between TS and CS bikes. I naively assumed that it would get me up most hills within reason.

The hill did come after a fairly moderate 20 mile ride with less than half battery charge left (same for both bikes).

We mainly bought the bikes for leisure rides and with 'moderate' hills in mind as we were struggling to get up hills on our old unassisted bikes and not enjoying the rides anymore. This hill was extreme and am hoping it/i'll manage lesser inclines. The reviewer on Pedelecs did a 12% grad with no problems so I guess it comes down to fitness like others have said.

The whole ride was about 40 miles and at the end did feel like we'd done a bit of a workout in the gym but in an enjoyable way (Other than the said hill !) and not as a hard painful slog which it would have been with on our old bikes.

So, for our kind of 'leisurely' riding, have we bought the wrong (TS) kind of bikes?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't realise the differences between TS and CS bikes. I naively assumed that it would get me up most hills within reason.

The hill did come after a fairly moderate 20 mile ride with less than half battery charge left (same for both bikes).

We mainly bought the bikes for leisure rides and with 'moderate' hills in mind as we were struggling to get up hills on our old unassisted bikes and not enjoying the rides anymore. This hill was extreme and am hoping it/i'll manage lesser inclines. The reviewer on Pedelecs did a 12% grad with no problems so I guess it comes down to fitness like others have said.

The whole ride was about 40 miles and at the end did feel like we'd done a bit of a workout in the gym but in an enjoyable way (Other than the said hill !) and not as a hard painful slog which it would have been with on our old bikes.

So, for our kind of 'leisurely' riding, have we bought the wrong (TS) kind of bikes?
One of the good things about a quality torque sensor bike is they ride like an ordinary bicycle.

As a cyclist, you should appreciate that.

I know I do on my Bosch bikes, although I've not tried a recent Wisper.

As you've discovered, with a torque sensor bike you can't go and beast every bank first time out - you have to build us some fitness.

Again, it's like ordinary cycling.

You might have the wrong bikes if you were hopping off at every incline.

The fail on the steep bit was probably disappointing, but not worth worrying about too much.

As Stu said, do a few rides avoiding the steepest hills, then have another whack at the one that beat you.

You might not get to the top, but I'm sure you will get further up it.

Reactions: falmouthtony

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
ETA, You say you're average fitness, which I find interesting, I had always thought that anyone of average fitness would have no trouble, I may have to reconsider that view.
The OP and his brother's bikes make the assessment harder.

I've not tried a Wisper torque sensor bike.

The other bike to fail the hill - the Scott - has the Shimano Steps system.

I've not tried one of those, but my sister-in-law has one, and is a bit disappointed with its power after testing my Bosch bikes.

Partly my fault, I did tell her they would be 'about the same'.

As flecc says, no legal ebike is a ball of fire, but I wonder if the OP and brother would have done better if they were on Bosch, Yamaha or Kallhoff Evo bikes.

Reactions: Artstu

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
The OP and his brother's bikes make the assessment harder.

I've not tried a Wisper torque sensor bike.

The other bike to fail the hill - the Scott - has the Shimano Steps system.

I've not tried one of those, but my sister-in-law has one, and is a bit disappointed with its power after testing my Bosch bikes.

Partly my fault, I did tell her they would be 'about the same'.

As flecc says, no legal ebike is a ball of fire, but I wonder if the OP and brother would have done better if they were on Bosch, Yamaha or Kallhoff Evo bikes.
Ah didn't realise it was Steps on the Scott.

KTM raced a Steps bike against a Pro rider up Holme Moss, they then asked for guesses on who won, but then never bothered to reveal the result.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am missing something here, doesn't a torque sensor provide more power the harder you push on the pedals? That is what a rider does and so the much touted "natural" feel of a TS bike should work the same way. And at speed the lesser pressure means I need less power.

Please explain.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Don't worry too much about the bike type, you will get fitter as you persist and the bikes wil be ok then. Don't forget that though you felt you were reasonably fit already, that was not cycling fit, since cycling uses different muscle sets than those used in other activities.

You'll soon be storming up the shorter 12% hills and managing on the long ones. As for the 17% and worse, they aren't exactly easy for any e-biker on a legal bike.

Reactions: KevinMull

KevinMull

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2016
Don't worry too much about the bike type, you will get fitter as you persist and the bikes wil be ok then. Don't forget that though you felt you were reasonably fit already, that was not cycling fit, since cycling uses different muscle sets than those used in other activities.

You'll soon be storming up the shorter 12% hills and managing on the long ones. As for the 17% and worse, they aren't exactly easy for any e-biker on a legal bike.

Thanks, it was our first ride of the season and first long ride ever on an e-bike so I think we were expecting too much from the bikes. Think we need to get some more rides in and more experience with e-bikes.

Reactions: flecc