falling off the bike.

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
I´ve just had my first serious falling off the bike after 2.200 km. I guess ii wasn´t paying enough attention when i went into a tight bend with loose gravel. Scratches on knee and elbow and hit hard on the shoulder. Took me awhile to get up, and when i did I fainted. When I came to i was too afraid to carry on riding lest I fainted again. My wife came to get me and the f..... heavy bike. Ashamed to say i fainted not from painbut from the scare and the tension. I had my helmet on, which I always wear. And now I´ll always will. Don´t want to be put off the bike. I know the saying but right now I am too sore!

chess

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
Hope you and the bike heal well. It is worth checking the bike over for bent bits before riding but you probably know that.
chess

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
"I had my helmet on, which I always wear. And now I´ll always will. Don´t want to be put off the bike. I know the saying but right now I am too sore!"

Sorry to hear about this, Poppy. I have had about half a dozen falls over the past 30 years (ice or oil on the road) and suffered similar injuries, but never once hit my head. If I had fallen in the path of another vehicle the helmet would have done me no good, nor would it have prevented me skidding in the first place.

homemoz

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2007
UK
Hi poppy,
Sorry to hear about your fall. Having had one myself not long ago - I was also glad I was wearing a helmet. Found that when I went back on the bike again it was fine & am now using it again to commute to work.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
I´ve just had my first serious falling off the bike after 2.200 km. I guess ii wasn´t paying enough attention when i went into a tight bend with loose gravel. Scratches on knee and elbow and hit hard on the shoulder. Took me awhile to get up, and when i did I fainted. When I came to i was too afraid to carry on riding lest I fainted again. My wife came to get me and the f..... heavy bike. Ashamed to say i fainted not from painbut from the scare and the tension. I had my helmet on, which I always wear. And now I´ll always will. Don´t want to be put off the bike. I know the saying but right now I am too sore!
Sorry to hear about your tumble, glad your not badly hurt.
Fainting is nothing to be ashamed about - just the body saying enough-is-enough.
I'm the same if I cut myself and bleed – I go out like a light :eek:
My Doctor told me there's nothing I can do about it, just be prepared that it will happen.
Hope you make a speedy recovery.

Andy Day

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2008
Don't talk about falling off bikes!

It's a funny thing, but you do get used to it! I hadn't fallen off a push bike since 1964 (and I was 18 and drunk) until I came to ebikes 4 years ago. Since then I've been down 4 times, three on the canal towpath. Just getting the front wheel cross-threaded on a ridge of mud running in the direction of travel did it each time, and fortunately I seem to bounce quite well.

The other time was a bit silly, and I must tell the story - it contains lots of shouldn't do's!

My wife and I had been out for lunch on the bikes, (no booze!), and were coming up the hill on the pavement. (I know, shouldn't, but it was a deserted 3pm and the pavement is 4 metres wide!). The hill is steep and my wife, riding her old Raleigh Misty was tired. I gave her some electric assistance by putting my hand on her back and giving the Currie full welly. (I know, shouldn't, but we are old and daft!).

But! wife wobbled, handlebars touched, she came under me, I lost balance and fell against her and down we went! She was pinned under her bike, I was sandwiched between hers and mine! My left foot was stuck under the bike, it took some gymnastics to get it out, pull two bikes off my wife, who was laughing hysterically. Not very dignified for a man of 61 and a woman of 57!

The final outcome was a couple of grazes for me, a bruised knee for my wife.
She won't let me help her up hills any more.

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
"I had my helmet on, which I always wear. And now I´ll always will. Don´t want to be put off the bike. I know the saying but right now I am too sore!"

Sorry to hear about this, Poppy. I have had about half a dozen falls over the past 30 years (ice or oil on the road) and suffered similar injuries, but never once hit my head. If I had fallen in the path of another vehicle the helmet would have done me no good, nor would it have prevented me skidding in the first place.
Lets not go there with the helmet debate!

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I fell off my bike on the way to work on Thursday. First time I'd fallen off a bike for about 20 years, since a car cut in and forced me onto a kerb. This time there was no-one else to blame; I took a corner too fast, and lost grip on some wet cobble stones. Not much damage, to the bike or me, just a graze on my arm and on my hip. I was pleased I was wearing gloves as they saved me from another painful graze on my hand.

Last edited:

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
"Lets not go there with the helmet debate!"

Of course not, there is nothing to debate!

After the first fall I started wearing gloves most of the time to protect my hands from violent contact with the tarmac. However, although I grazed my right knee in that first fall, I did not start wearing knee protectors.

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
As you have all read, my accident was pretty common, nothing funny or bizarre. Distraction, overconfidence in taking a well known bend. I was so dazed I spent some time without moving, both me and the bike in the middle of the road. then still numb I straightened my bike-in the middle of the road-And slid into an indian sitting position, again in the middle of the road. There I was on the crossroad with cars passing, drivers thinking I was taking a break!
My luck was that me being no daring cyclist I got stranded on a popular road near home and not on any of the numerous unpaved trails most of which lead nowhere. Well in winter they could lead you to wolves and boars. Bears? I don´t think so!

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
As you have all read, my accident was pretty common, nothing funny or bizarre. Distraction, overconfidence in taking a well known bend. I was so dazed I spent some time without moving, both me and the bike in the middle of the road. then still numb I straightened my bike-in the middle of the road-And slid into an indian sitting position, again in the middle of the road. There I was on the crossroad with cars passing, drivers thinking I was taking a break!
My luck was that me being no daring cyclist I got stranded on a popular road near home and not on any of the numerous unpaved trails most of which lead nowhere. Well in winter they could lead you to wolves and boars. Bears? I don´t think so!
Hi Poppy

I am sorry to hear of your tumble and hope all is well now?
I haven't fallen off my electric bikes so far (tempting fate or what?) Although I did come off a couple of my scooters in the past which were owned over 18years, once on ice and once when a car pulled out in front of me,plus more than a few scary skids!! so I know how shaking up it can be.

Sounds interesting your part of Spain, all I get are a few Rabbits and the odd lovely deer or two, but unfortunateley the latter is not very often.

Take Care
Mandy

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
It's a funny thing, but you do get used to it! I hadn't fallen off a push bike since 1964 (and I was 18 and drunk) until I came to ebikes 4 years ago. Since then I've been down 4 times, three on the canal towpath. Just getting the front wheel cross-threaded on a ridge of mud running in the direction of travel did it each time, and fortunately I seem to bounce quite well.

The other time was a bit silly, and I must tell the story - it contains lots of shouldn't do's!

My wife and I had been out for lunch on the bikes, (no booze!), and were coming up the hill on the pavement. (I know, shouldn't, but it was a deserted 3pm and the pavement is 4 metres wide!). The hill is steep and my wife, riding her old Raleigh Misty was tired. I gave her some electric assistance by putting my hand on her back and giving the Currie full welly. (I know, shouldn't, but we are old and daft!).

But! wife wobbled, handlebars touched, she came under me, I lost balance and fell against her and down we went! She was pinned under her bike, I was sandwiched between hers and mine! My left foot was stuck under the bike, it took some gymnastics to get it out, pull two bikes off my wife, who was laughing hysterically. Not very dignified for a man of 61 and a woman of 57!

The final outcome was a couple of grazes for me, a bruised knee for my wife.
She won't let me help her up hills any more.
Ah Bless and at least you were trying to do your wife a good turn and love your story :)
Sounds like your wife has a good sense of humour and good on her and glad it didn't turn out too serious, injury wise for you both :)

You are right about ebikes as they are not as predictable as normal pedal bikes and I took around a week of riding my SE to get used to the handling of it.
I was used to a PowaByke which was heavy, smaller, slow and had a front hub motor as opposed to the Wisper's rear hub, large frame and very light weight, very fast and I didn't ride it to work until I was confident enough.
I am now confident but the unexpected can happen, like almost colliding with obstacles when I am over confident, lol! Not of the pedestrian kind of course, just the odd lamp post, road sign, or stone's/glass on cycle paths and occasionally the odd unexpected pull out of a car on the road :eek: I rode scooters for years so a bit prepared for the unforceable, well ish :)
Mandy

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
I´d like to thank all of you that have shown concern for well being after my stupid accident. You´ll be glad to know that Nothing has been broken or impaired. Well maybe my courage. Got a week of rest and deep pondering ja ja. Let´s see how I´ll react facing the bike again.