Fantasy Ebike

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Ok, so let's say you had a mortally possible (let's say £5k) amount of funds for any ebike you wanted. You can buy it, build it, or have it built. You can use it on the road, or on your private estate, it's up to you.

What would you do? How would you use it? How much would it cost and what would it's key attribute be? Is it's possible to build now, or does a key technological component need to be developed?

I'll put mine up in a bit.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I've had my Delite coming up to two years, I defiantly would have another.
As a most reliable & comfortable machine it's leagues ahead of others I have or ridden.
Being an old person I don't want a speed version but I could adapt as one does, it goes very fast downhill.

And just in budget.

Reactions: Alan Quay

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'm afraid that I am going to be a be sad here, and say that I'm happy with the Lycan pretty much as it is.

One change which I have already made is swapping from Nyon to Intuvia, and two changes that I'm shortly going to make, are a switch to a Shimano Deore XT M8000 - 11 Speed 11t-42t Mountain Bike Cassette and a Shimano Deore XT M8000 Shadow + Rear Derailleur 11 Speed - GS - Medium cage.

I also require a new saddle, but two luxury items which would form part of the fantasy list, is a second set of wheels, with light terrain tyres fitted, and a larger 500wh battery would also be nice. edit.. A dropper seat post would also be a nice addition.

I'm happy with bikes speed, happy with the way that the bike handles and brakes, so perhaps I am bit boring in the fantasy league stakes. Sorry about that.

A fantasy addition would be a soft start for power delivery. A mode lower than eco, that gives just enough torque to give forward motion on soft ground, without spinning the rear end up. A sort of traction control mode.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I would need a decent job first...

OK, sorry, I'll play along - a HPVelotechnik Gekko fx26 with a 250W BB motor and as much battery as spare change would allow. Comfortably seated for long range travels and insane downhill speeds :rolleyes:

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Tiny crank-drive with about 1/3 rd of Bosch power, full disengagement when above 16 mph, so zero motor drag (not something any current bike has), 11 ah battery hidden in the down tube, total bike weight <12 kgs max, say all wrapped up in my KTM Revelator. So a bike which still rides well on the flat, but gives a welcome boost on the hills.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A silent Bosch bike and a battery with about three times the capacity of what's now available.

I think I'm in for a long wait for either of my wishes.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
A silent Bosch bike and a battery with about three times the capacity of what's now available.

I think I'm in for a long wait for either of my wishes.
Strangely I think I like the noise mine makes.. In fact if I am approaching pedestrians on an incline I find myself changing down a couple of gears to make the whine more pronounced.