fast short distance bike advice

enndee

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2014
Had my Kudos Typhoon taken from my locked shed a couple of months ago and have been using an ordinary hybrid type bike but have started missing the fun. One thing i like about my ordinary bike is its weight feels half that of the typhoon plus easy to pedal (typhoon took effort to get up the slope of my drive). So I was thinking of building my own. My journey is short less than 4miles a day on tarmac, I can pedal am 6ft and 15st and want something quick away from the lights which i can pedal above 15mph. Thinking either some front hub or bbs01 kit on a cheapish bike from some where like Halfords or buying a Whoosh Karoo.

Dare I say.... suggestions, please?

ps the typhoon was fun, a big bike, felt like it would eat other bikes.

enndee

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2014
lol, not long nor that steep, but without power the typhoon seemed quite hard to move, big fat tyres and heavy bike I suppose. Seemed to need dropping to one of the very low gears to go up it while my ordinary bike feels like it flies up it in comparison.

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Aye your right, these electric bikes are heavy but the electric motor cancels out the weight, best thing since sliced bread (as they say) give it 10 years and I think they will be the normal way to go.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
If you only want to do the four mile journey, a quality push bike is worth serious consideration.

Obvious suggestion would be a lightweight road bike, they fly along in comparison to a lumpy hybrid.

Another to consider is a Brompton folding bike.

Due to the small wheels, they accelerate faster for the same effort than any other bike.

A Brompton has the quickest and most compact fold of any proper folding bicycle, so another benefit would be it's less likely to be stolen.

It would be quicker and easier to fold and store in the house, rather than opening your shed and putting it in there, which is bound to be less secure.

• Agree
Reactions: Tabs

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
I only have experience of a few e bikes but my latest build is an Oxydrive 350w hub motor on a Carrera Kraken, it is a flyer and if I was in your position that motor on a fast hybrid like a Boardman Hybrid pro would be my choice.(both on offer) Unless your 4 miles is hilly I would,nt bother with a crank drive, but I do like your choice of the Woosh Karoo, with only 4 miles you could go for a much smaller battery and make it a super light option !

flik9999

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2016
london
A fast roadbike can beat E-Bikes on speed of your good. This is because the 15.5 mph limit.

E bikes are handy for hills though.