MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
Reactions: Edward Elizabeth

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
EV's carry far more sophisticated circuitry as weight is not such a problem. This means they can mitigate against the damage, that high charging currents can cause, in a way that bike batteries can't.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
e-bike batteries and e-car batteries use the same cells.
Both would be available at the same time.

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Ready for full production in 5 years.

But 5 years ago other firms were promising similar that never materialised.

And where does the increased voltage come from? Not such a problem for ebikes, but a massive issue for cars.

I would suggest this is a case of...

1moxdu.gif

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
this time, it's a proper pre-production run, so it is much more likely.
The main issue is the availability and cost of Germanium ($1240/kg, Lithium: $10-$11/kg). Replacing some graphite with Germanium is going to be expensive.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
... if they can charge an EV in "5 Minutes":

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/19/electric-car-batteries-race-ahead-with-five-minute-charging-times

...a little ebike battery would likely take seconds?
A better way IMHO only, if you are not a fanatical "Anti weight" person, is to own a bike where the battery is easy, day or night, to replace with no tools. And also to own two batteries.
Remember, you will not need to take the second battery for all rides, just when you need the extra range. I have two of different capacities, as the one I view as being the "second", was bought as a "lighter, get you home" on long runs, and was a lot cheaper as well...
Having two of the same capacity, will also, in terms of years, increase the longevity of BOTH batteries (double the years if you use them fairly evenly), as any battery has a finite number of charges, before the capacity starts to drop. (Which does depend upon a great many different properties of course!)
In comparison to the "seconds" for a charge that you mentioned, and using my own bike as an example, it takes me about a minute to change a battery, with no tools! A younger stronger person, would do it in less time I am sure.....
A second battery would be both cheaper than these new Germanium ones, and available now.
Happy New Year to you and yours.
Andy
PS. I am surprised that no one else mentioned this....
PPS. Reducing body weight by the weight of the second battery, will give your health a boost, and the battery a "free ride"!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have a couple of ebike batteries that can charge in 5 minutes. They're designed to go in some sort of high power charging station, though I've never seen one. they also have a separate port for charging with a 10 amp charger that can charge them in 30 minutes. They're 24v lithium titanate batteries made by Toshiba that were fitted to Schwinn Tailwind bikes.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
For anyone seeking to get the best possible life and performance out of their bike battery, reading the Battery University is a useful place to learn from.
At this time with the current types of Lithium cells, the faster the charge, the higher the SOC, the shorter the overall life span of the battery.
A good read can be found here:-
The following graph taken from that web site, demonstrates clearly as to why 4.2 volts was selected as being the best with regard to capacity and long term life, in cycles:-
Figure 5: Effects on cycle life at elevated charge voltages. Higher charge voltages boost capacity but lowers cycle life and compromises safety.
lithium2.jpg
I hope this increases interest in Battery Knowledge here on Pedelec.
Battery University is a really great place to gain knowledge, even though the knowledge will not cover any very new developments and chemistries, as quickly as I would like!
But it will help a lot with the currently, generally available batteries, and not just Li-ion!
Happy New Year to all
Andy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
For anyone seeking to get the best possible life and performance out of their bike battery, reading the Battery University is a useful place to learn from.
At this time with the current types of Lithium cells, the faster the charge, the higher the SOC, the shorter the overall life span of the battery.
A good read can be found here:-
The following graph taken from that web site, demonstrates clearly as to why 4.2 volts was selected as being the best with regard to capacity and long term life, in cycles:-
Figure 5: Effects on cycle life at elevated charge voltages. Higher charge voltages boost capacity but lowers cycle life and compromises safety.
View attachment 40317
I hope this increases interest in Battery Knowledge here on Pedelec.
Battery University is a really great place to gain knowledge, even though the knowledge will not cover any very new developments and chemistries, as quickly as I would like!
But it will help a lot with the currently, generally available batteries, and not just Li-ion!
Happy New Year to all
Andy
Warning about that advice. By all means read that stuff and improve your understanding about lithium battery cells. All that research is about how individual cells behave. You have a battery of cells with a management pcb attached to them and controlling them. You can do harm to your battery if you do anything that stops that management system form working as intended, like not fully charging.

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
Why and how, if I may ask? Sounds very interesting as its "only" a light I am given to understand....
Thanks for your reply.
Andy
It was only a joke.
It's the Arc Reactor that Tony Stark uses to power his Iron Man armour in the Marvel universe.
I think we are many centuries before we see a fusion/nuclear reactor this small!

Even though in Back To The Future II there was the Mr Fusion Home Energy Reactor in the future of 2015!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
You can do harm to your battery if you do anything that stops that management system form working as intended, like not fully charging.
Why would anyone do that, and why do you even mention it, in your opinion?
Also, you appear to be answering me (?), but as I did not see it mentioned by the Battery University (or myself) in the data I posted, which was all at the cell level, therefore no BMS......
So what are you talking about? You appear to be mildly confused IMO!
Happy New Year
Andy

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
Why would anyone do that, and why do you even mention it, in your opinion?
Also, you appear to be answering me (?), but as I did not see it mentioned by the Battery University (or myself) in the data I posted, which was all at the cell level, therefore no BMS......
So what are you talking about? You appear to be mildly confused IMO!
Happy New Year
Andy
I think that what VFR was getting at was that some people only like to charge to 80%, which I believe stops the BMS from balancing the cells.

D

Deleted member 33385

e-bike batteries and e-car batteries use the same cells.
Both would be available at the same time.

Yes and at scale, therefore likely at a price interesting to yours truly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

Ready for full production in 5 years.

And where does the increased voltage come from? Not such a problem for ebikes, but a massive issue for cars.

I would suggest this is a case of...

View attachment 40311

There is so much to play for, it's not a matter of if but when. I'm hoping supercapacitors get here first because of weight, but they could be specacularly injurous in a crash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

Why and how, if I may ask? Sounds very interesting as its "only" a light I am given to understand....
Thanks for your reply.
Andy

Lol there's always something emitting a bright light in nearly every science fiction film... just wait and it appears... a bright light of unknown contrivance or origin...