Fat Bike Kit

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Earlier in the year I was looking (and asking on here) for a kit to install on my fat bike...I've found one, waiting for the company to get back to me on a few questions.

The company has been mentioned on here before and going back several years so although their website looks like it's from the early 90's they seem to be reputable. busettii.com.

The kit is being sold on amazon.com (http://amzn.to/1dMBSvG)

They mention suitable batteries but this goes over my head a little bit so I haven't found a suitable battery atm...any links to the best battery?

I'm a noob to electric kits\bikes so was wondering what your thoughts on this are?

As far as I know, this is the only kit for bikes with 26" wheels and 4" tyres. So it seems like the only option atm.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

I thought Busetti were mentioned more than once as being a bit dodgy. Do a search on Endless-sphere. IIRC, it was something to do with their Vortex bike that appeared to have a standard BPM motor, but they claimed it had some sort of CVT inside. They also claimed an unrealistic range. There were also accusations of them reviewing their own bikes as if they were punters. The reviewers were backing up each others claims until they were found to be posting from the same IP address for which they got banned. I would advise anyone to be very careful about dealing with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
there are several different motor´s for fatbike´s

For my self I´m hoping to receive my 190mm Fatbike-hub from Bafang within the next days and then I´ll post as always what I think about.
Also wíll say some words about the hub-motor in compare with the bafang-bbs for fatbike

Reactions: Sherman

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
there are several different motor´s for fatbike´s
Could you post links to them?

For my self I´m hoping to receive my 190mm Fatbike-hub from Bafang within the next days and then I´ll post as always what I think about.
Also wíll say some words about the hub-motor in compare with the bafang-bbs for fatbike
A rough measurement (without taking the wheels off), my front dropouts are 160mm and the back are 180mm. The bottom bracket is 120mm.

Very interested in taking a look at any of those kits you've seen.

Cheers

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Assuming your fat bike has a standard bottom bracket, would it not be simpler to fit a crank drive kit?

A rough measurement (without taking the wheels off), my front dropouts are 160mm and the back are 180mm. The bottom bracket is 120mm.
160front and 180rear? I assume that your measurement isn´t correct standard for fatbike is 150mm front and 190mm rear.
Before the standard was 135mm front and 170mm rear.

Bafang have two hub-motors for Fatbike one is for 170mm dropout and the other is for 190mm dropout´s 250watt -->500Watt you can see on my website and the technical drawing you can find at download on my website check siganture

Assuming your fat bike has a standard bottom bracket
Fatbike haven´t a standard bottom-bracket because of the fat tires it isn´t possible there would be no clearance for the chain

I sell bafang-bbs converting-kit´s for fatbike bottom-brackets from China you can see on the website (check singnature)

cheers
frank

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
simplest solution is to install a front BPM kit.

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
160front and 180rear? I assume that your measurement isn´t correct standard for fatbike is 150mm front and 190mm rear.
Before the standard was 135mm front and 170mm rear.

Bafang have two hub-motors for Fatbike one is for 170mm dropout and the other is for 190mm dropout´s 250watt -->500Watt you can see on my website and the technical drawing you can find at download on my website check siganture

Fatbike haven´t a standard bottom-bracket because of the fat tires it isn´t possible there would be no clearance for the chain

I sell bafang-bbs converting-kit´s for fatbike bottom-brackets from China you can see on the website (check singnature)

cheers
frank
Cheers Frank,

I looked at this video a while back
. If I need to do this (stripping the motor), it rules it out.

I would rather a mid drive and if I could get it ready built with the extra long axle this would be the best option. I assume the battery I have for the 350W Front BPM hub would work with it also. (36V 15AH Square Bottle Battery)?

You're probably right about the incorrect measurements of the dropouts, it was a rough and quick measurement.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi tezdread,

on my Motorset you don´t need to make thread´s to the motor,
I was considering this way how Doug made it but I come to the conclusion "to complicated". That´s the reason why I chose the way with welding, nobody need a expencive tool (thread-cutter) for only one time using.

So I think in every city is a welding company the do the job for just some euro or some six-pack beer.

When I´m back in China in November this year I will think about to sell ready made fatbike bafang-bbs but I cant let my boss do this job ;-) she hate dirty hand´s

Btw,
today I received the first real 190mm hub from Bafang and directly wrote a manual for dissambling the motor and which bearing´s are inside
You can check it out here:

http://fatbike-motor.com/index_htm_files/Bafang rear 190mm.pdf

regards
frank

Last edited:
as promised,
so now I have the 190er Fatbike-hub motor of Bafang installed and tested.
I have to say the motor is very good and has a high torque. This engine convinces me until now and without any ifs and buts.
Frankly, I would always buy me compared to the mid-engine the hub motor, much cheaper and the assembly costs no more than the mid-engine conversion.

Just great this Motor, here in the version 225rpm 36V 350Watt with a 15A controller speed is more than 30km/h The torque is great compared to most other hub motors of Bafang

The Motor is in store at www.fatbike-motor.com in China

Attachments

tezdread

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2014
Looks good, nice bike.

The hub motor is shipped as just the motor then you get it fitted to your own wheel?

What battery, LCD and controller is installed?