Fat Bike tyre is flat .

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Well it had to happen after 550 miles on my CNE SR 20a Fat Tyre E Folder , I picked up several punctures in the front 20x4in. Kenda `Krusade `after the local Farmer had been busy cutting his hedges with the clippings strewn over the lane . I mistakenly thought that the 4 mm deep `pips`of randomly spaced rubber on these tractor type tyres would elevate me above thorns . Since purchasing the machine 7 months ago I have been wondering about tyre life of these` Fats` when used on tarmac roads . Both tyres started with a tread depth of 3.90 mm and the back is now down to 2.69 mm and the front down to 3.21 mm , better than I would have guessed . Knowing that this sized tyre is not common I thought it prudent to line up some spares . I noticed that Ridewell in Italy were offering more road going tyres and thought I would try these next . The pair of Chaoyang` Sandstorms` I sent for have a normal diamond pattern tread and cost about £50 the pair including carriage . A spare innertube 20x 4.125 in. was less than a £10 new on Ebay from a UK Supplier .
The Kenda` Krusade` tyres are quite noisy so it will be interesting to see how they compare with the` Sandstorms` . I am tempted to remove the front tyre to keep as a spare for when the back is worn down and put a new` Sandstorm` on now . It will be interesting to compare the noise and handling of these tyres . I might miss the sound which reminds me of a London Tube Train, well ones from 40 years ago when I last travelled on one !`

Reactions: artspeck