Fat lad in need of ebike advice

paolocee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 15, 2019
I'm 56, 6'4" and 150kgs (about 24st). Been unable to exercise for almost a decade after a serious accident. And the pounds have piled on. Finally got my new knee last month and want to get a bike. My kids and wife go on long, 40km rides, (we live in the middle of nowhere in Sweden) and I want to join them. But I know I'm far too unfit to keep up without cheating (and it's very hilly).

So I need an ebike, I guess. I'll be riding mostly on tarmac but also gravel paths and snow. Budget is £4k-£5k.

Your suggestions would be most welcome. It's a confusing buyers' market, especially for a monster like me!

I have seen the Haibike sDuro 3.0 mentioned in another thread but I can't find its weight limit anywhere.

Ta.

Last edited:

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
Riese & Muller GH variants are certified to 160KG, otherwise you are looking at Dutch Cargo Bikes and similar - Gazelle make a few - built like a tank and cheaper than R & M GH

Pump your tyres up to max, whatever you get,

paolocee

Aug 15, 2019
Thanks georgegenry. I did search before I started this thread and I saw that thread but it was inconclusive.

He seemed to go for the Haibike sDuro FullSeven 3.0 but I've looked and can't find any weight limits details that would support the claim that it could accommodate someone of my (or his) weight.

The only bike I've found that WILL support my big arse is the Riese & Muller GH Charger which is eye-wateringly expensive.

Reactions: Torque

paolocee

Aug 15, 2019
Riese & Muller GH variants are certified to 160KG, otherwise you are looking at Dutch Cargo Bikes and similar - Gazelle make a few - built like a tank and cheaper than R & M GH

Pump your tyres up to max, whatever you get,
Sadly, the Charger GH has a rider limit of 135kg. So Riese & Muller are out.

paolocee

Aug 15, 2019

paolocee

Aug 15, 2019
BTW, I'm actually riding a normal bike at the moment. A Serious mountain bike. But only around my village as it's not happy with my weight!

Crossroads

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2017
BTW, I'm actually riding a normal bike at the moment. A Serious mountain bike. But only around my village as it's not happy with my weight!
Paolocee,
You make a good point, the frames of 'normal' good quality bikes will bear your weight and probably not be the main problem, but the wheels will be for certain and you would eventually suffer buckled wheels and broken spokes and any suspension would take a hammering and would need replacing a lot earlier. Please also note that the thread quoted above was for a 300 lb rider not a 350 KG rider (300 v 771 pounds)

My view is that a purpose built bike for heavy loads is going to cost more than your intended budget, but will be considerably cheaper than buying an unsuitable bike then buying a suitable bike later.

paolocee

Aug 15, 2019
Paolocee,
You make a good point, the frames of 'normal' good quality bikes will bear your weight and probably not be the main problem, but the wheels will be for certain and you would eventually suffer buckled wheels and broken spokes and any suspension would take a hammering and would need replacing a lot earlier. Please also note that the thread quoted above was for a 300 lb rider not a 350 KG rider (300 v 771 pounds)

My view is that a purpose built bike for heavy loads is going to cost more than your intended budget, but will be considerably cheaper than buying an unsuitable bike then buying a suitable bike later.
Ha, noted, but I'm 150kg, not 350kg (is that even possible?). I've nosed around more and found a German company who do electric bikes up to 170kg weight limit. Kalkhoff. Still not sure that's QUITE enough.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I am over the weight limits myself and carry two full ortleib panniers on a rear rack on my Haibike sDuro 2015 Yamaha, and my 12/14 mile off road route to work has some challenging proper mountain bike sections for both me and the bike.

I like the simplicity of a hard tail and thought that I could simply add a stronger rear wheel. This is easy to do on a crank drive and not that expensive and has given me great reliability for many miles.

Although my own all up weight with panniers is around 120kg.

The advantage is that you can buy an entry level Cube or Haibike hardtail for around £1700 and then put in a nuclear strength rear wheel for around a couple of hundred quid and in all likelihood have no issues at all.

The frame on my Haibike appears to be overbuilt and a thing of beauty that has taken all the punishment I can throw at it in over 11,000 miles.

Reactions: paolocee

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you will need thru axles front and back, top left in the pic, waight will not be a problem frame wise but the wheels might need upgrading from a stock cube hard tail.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
There were reliability issues with some Kalkhoff bikes; search around the forums here for more details. It may well be that those issues are now resolved; probably if you post details of a specific bike here somebody should be able to give more accurate information.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

paolocee

Aug 15, 2019
From Steve at the Ebike Store:
“That is quite an old sheet but in reality, the bikes are tested for double the weight they get certified for. None are truly made specifically for the extra weight as far as I know but I am confident the one we have chosen would do the trick.”