Fat, tall, old and unfit bike options

John3456

Just Joined
Oct 10, 2019
Hi, I’m a newbie here but need some advice on which ebike to buy.
It will need to be strong as I am 6’3” and 170Kg and feeble.
My preferences are for a comfort bike, with a sit-up-beg style, serious mudguards, hub gears or CVT, a powerful crank motor with a battery that has a long range. I have a Little used Paisley Roadster Sovereign in the garage which probably indicates the style of thing I’m looking for.
I’d also like to buy British-made, given the current commercial situation.
I’ve looked and compared and become confused! Can anyone provide helpful advice? Thank you!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There isn't really anything on the market that would suit you. You'd need a custom build using something like a slow 500w MAC or BPM motor running at 48v and 25 amps, though that wouldn't be legal. 170kg is just too much for any legal bike.

DeanosBeano

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2019
if you want to get fit your better off walking , I had a triple bypass in Feb this year and i thought going to the forest on my ebike twice a week would give me good cardio , it didn`t i couldn`t even walk a mile of the same track after 5 months and was unfit AF :). Been walking a few months now two miles a day and much fitter .
there are some low cost 21 speed fat bikes on amazon and ebay ( cheapest ive seen so far is £850) if the gearing is right they are great to get around on and the lower ratios help you support the motor if its a Legal 250 watts 36 volt etc . i have one and its only 200 watts ( broke at the moment after 5 eyars hammer) .

Reactions: John3456

John3456

Just Joined
Oct 10, 2019
if you want to get fit your better off walking , I had a triple bypass in Feb this year and i thought going to the forest on my ebike twice a week would give me good cardio , it didn`t i couldn`t even walk a mile of the same track after 5 months and was unfit AF :). Been walking a few months now two miles a day and much fitter .
there are some low cost 21 speed fat bikes on amazon and ebay ( cheapest ive seen so far is £850) if the gearing is right they are great to get around on and the lower ratios help you support the motor if its a Legal 250 watts 36 volt etc . i have one and its only 200 watts ( broke at the moment after 5 eyars hammer) .
I have difficulty walking with only one good knee, the other needs to be replaced so low impact pedalling is better than high impact walking. I only want to ride on roads and tracks not woodland, mountains etc. This may change as fitness improves and weight reduces!
There isn't really anything on the market that would suit you. You'd need a custom build using something like a slow 500w MAC or BPM motor running at 48v and 25 amps, though that wouldn't be legal. 170kg is just too much for any legal bike.
Kalkhoff make bikes that claim to be 170kg proof, but read mixed reviews and not made in UK... Any British equivalents?

Krissovo

Just Joined
Oct 10, 2019
Hey Op,

Don’t be put off, I was not far off your weight and a self built ebike really helped me. I am now down to 138 and starting to really enjoy long rides and using more of my own power. You will need to spend wisely and buy good quality components but they do take the weight.

My bike below can really take the weight and the setup is not that expensive. Another route to go is using a Dutch bike frame as they are built like tanks.

For the frame I went with a good steel cyclocross from Surly. It has taken some abuse and has been sold, I picked mine up for under €200. A good quality touring frame would also work.

For Wheels any good quality 32 spoke would do the job, at first I did pop a few spokes but after I got them re-built at my local shop I have not popped a spoke and its been really reliable. Get chunky tires and pump them up high, I have 32’s and take them to 80psi when they are rated for 50/60.

A decent MTB groupset with high gearing is a must, I use a mix of Shimano that I mostly picked up 2nd hand. It’s a mix of deore & XT

Motor - I have bafang mid drive that is 750w rated that I ordered from Greenbike Kit, this is paired with a 48v battery and has never let me down and pulls me up any hill or trail. With the gearing I have and the fact it is mid drive it is never under serious strain.

Brakes- I originally used the brake levers that came with the motor kit, with my weight they didn’t stop well so I ordered a brake sensor and now use decent shimano leavers.

Saddle - I tried loads and with our weight I would highly recommend a brooks B17. Anything with padding will just hurt you.

The build came in under €1600 and has plenty of performance, I would NOT fit throttle as I got lazy so I have taken mine off and its pedal only now.

Attachments

Reactions: John3456

Krissovo

Just Joined
Oct 10, 2019
For British bought SJS cycles can supply the components and British made steel frames. They are also wheel builders and could put something together that meets your needs. Just a motor and you are sorted.

DeanosBeano

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2019
I have difficulty walking with only one good knee, the other needs to be replaced so low impact pedalling is better than high impact walking. I only want to ride on roads and tracks not woodland, mountains etc. This may change as fitness improves and weight reduces!

Kalkhoff make bikes that claim to be 170kg proof, but read mixed reviews and not made in UK... Any British equivalents?
same here , i ride the fire roads in the forest thats why i went fat bike , definetly get one its worth it , but for fitness like i say its not going to achieve much , my mental fitness though is on point when riding mine i love it and well thats priceless :) . after my last post i saw a fat Ebike for 645 on amazon i might get that and put the parts on a more sturdier frame this will get me another great bike for around £1K

this is my current one thats very poorly i think it was an ex demo and only 200 watt and ive hammered it with 2 extra batteries in the panniers :)