Help! Faulty Bafang BBS01b

Pwjacksom

Just Joined
Mar 15, 2021
Manchester, UK
Hi,

I’ve recently received a 250w Bafang BBS01B motor that I think is faulty (eBay shop). It’s the 4th motor I’ve installed.

UnfortunatelyI didn’t check it before I reprogrammed it (to the settings I have on all the other motors that are for smoothness and not overloading) and it’s dead. So to diagnose it I removed the motor and plugged in a controller that I knew was working. I just tested it with the throttle, which initially worked, then when I switched it off and on again the working controller was now dead, even when I plugged it back into my working motor.

So I’m wondering how likely it is that there is an issue with the motor itself which is overloading the controllers?I should mention that there is no error code and the screen is showing 20w with the throttle 1/3rd on, and there’s a quiet clicking sound but no life in the motor.

I can send the motor back, but I have to pay return postage to Germany, or they’re asking for $45 for them to send me a new controller. It’s annoying, but I just want to get it sorted!

Thanks in advance

Pete

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's possible to wipe out a controller when the motor is stuck due to a faulty hall sensor or something like that. When you open the throttle, you don't see anything happen, but the current is rushing through the motor coils the same as it would if you put a stick through the chainwheel to stop it from turning. The high current blows the mosfets. That's easy to check by measuring the resistance between the red battery wire and each phase wire connector, then again with the black battery wire to get twio sets of readings. The three readings in each set should be the same as each other.

Pwjacksom

Just Joined
Mar 15, 2021
Manchester, UK
It's possible to wipe out a controller when the motor is stuck due to a faulty hall sensor or something like that. When you open the throttle, you don't see anything happen, but the current is rushing through the motor coils the same as it would if you put a stick through the chainwheel to stop it from turning. The high current blows the mosfets. That's easy to check by measuring the resistance between the red battery wire and each phase wire connector, then again with the black battery wire to get twio sets of readings. The three readings in each set should be the same as each other.
Amazing. Thanks for your help. I think it’s probably best to send the motor back then!

Thanks

Pete

Advertisers