Faulty ebike - first diagnostics - what to do next?

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
Hello

I have acquired a new old stock Orbea Eline bike. It is one of the first models, and there is a Gazelle stamped in every bit, except "Orbea Eline" written (not stamped) onto the frame. It looks similar to Gazelle Orange Innergy.

Being old it appears to have a faulty/dead battery, or at least a battery to which a multimeter doesn't respond. Before investing in a new battery I decided to take it to a Gazelle service centre for a full check-up.

First thing first, they updated the firmware (the bike comes with a "standard" old Gazelle display) and then run numerous tests. The problem was that with a good a healthy battery the motor doesn't seem to give any assistance (although I have seen it powering up the front wheel once - while the bike was on the repairing stand).
They told me that they contacted Gazelle in centre in Holland and the conclusion based on the error codes is a controller problem, and it would be up to Orbea service centre to sort it.

I am a bit disturbed that they wouldn't touch the controller :-( As far as I understand since bike conversion kits exists, one should be able to resolve the controller problem...

I am wondering what would be the right route now?

1. Should I ask the service centre some specific questions?
2. Should I ask them to do particular tests?
3. Does it mean that the electronics system needs to be replaced?
4. Should I look for an electric bike workshop? (Do there exist places/mechanics that would touch electronics in a bike they didn't sell?)

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

it looks straightforward enough. If you live near Southend, bring it in, I'll check it for you.

Reactions: Emily Joy

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
it looks straightforward enough. If you live near Southend, bring it in, I'll check it for you.
You are exactly right about the model. Thanks - I am about 130 miles from Southend, but I will keep your kind offer in mind.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The normal way to deal with a controller problem is to replace it, since they are not very expensive. I can't see why the Gazelle service centre won't do that if you are paying for the repair, since it is indeed a Gazelle Innergy, just sold under the Orbea Spanish company's name.

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
The normal way to deal with a controller problem is to replace it, since they are not very expensive. I can't see why the Gazelle service centre won't do that if you are paying for the repair, since it is indeed a Gazelle Innergy, just sold under the Orbea Spanish company's name.
There was some talk that Gazelle doesn't make these controllers any more...

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
Based on what I have gathered by reading various manuals.

It was one of the models which wouldn't allow to change the battery freely (confirmed by the service centre). In particular battery replacement would require a firmware update. This was changed subsequently in later models.

In addition to that, there seems to be an additional "registration" requirement with an idea that a non-registered by dealer bike wouldn't be able to do more than 40km - after that the assistance would cut of.

My thoughts so far:
1. Could it be the case the initial firmware upgrade caused the issue?
2. It seems to be that the bike has never been properly registered and that lack of registration is causing the problem
3. It seems to be a good idea to get out as many details about the components as possible

Advertisers