Feeling Guilty

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I was met with a rather unusual scenario, driving home tonight.

Rounding the last bend into Brighton marina a pickup truck undertook me, swerved across in front of me and onto the pavement. This being in an attempt to knock over a woman walking on the narrow road side path.

He just missed the woman and stopped abruptly. I stopped behind him, partly wound down the window and asked if she were ok. Before she could answer, the pick driver started punching my window and many angy expletives. He was like a rabid dog and I feared for not only the woman's safety but my own.

Now, years ago I would had just rammed his truck, got out and confronted him. Yes, a similar incident happened many years ago.

This time I chose to leave the scene rapidly knowing the local security office was only seconds away. I sped there immediately, reported it and they shot out up to the scene instantly.

After that, I have no idea what happened.

Trouble is, I am sat here hoping that the said woman is ok and feeling absolutely dreadful in that I did not take immediate action despite any potential consequences.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, if so I'd like to hear.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wrong place wrong time and getting in the way of someone else's affairs !!! May have been his other half, any how sounds like he was a complete nut job. You probably done the best thing and sought help for her.

Reactions: SRS and jonathan75

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
That's a criminal (and in civil law) assault on you and she because you and she were made to anticipate imminent physical harm. Possible attempted ABH on her. Check the side of car for dents - criminal damage, also civilly recoverable. I'd say a public order offence is definitely made out too, against both you and she (not to mention some sort of driving offence). Scum like that should be sure what they do has consequences for them. That said, it might be wiser to keep your distance. Although what you can do if you feel a sense of duty is go to the police and offer yourself as a witness to what happened to the lady.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You were wise to avoid confrontation, modern life is increasingly producing extreme and violent reactions, sometimes prompted by mental illness.

The force that might have become necessary if you had taken direct action could well have resulted in you being arrested on suspicion of an offence. In an extreme outcome, if you'd knocked him down and bumping his head or another medical condition had resulted in death, you could potentially have found yourself in serious trouble.

D

Deleted member 4366

In South Africa, they're allowed flame throwers and big blades under their cars that swing round to chop legs to deal with violent people that come to your car door looking for trouble. Why can't we have the same?

I love the advert for it:

Last edited by a moderator:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
And the innocent on the other side?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In South Africa, they're allowed flame throwers and big blades under their cars that swing round to chop legs to deal with violent people that come to your car door looking for trouble. Why can't we have the same?
South Africa totally lost control of crime decades ago, their freedom from apartheid has proved to be a very poisoned chalice.

It's so bad that the only chance of correction is probably to have a rigidly controlled undemocratic police state for a while.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
You were wise to avoid confrontation, modern life is increasingly producing extreme and violent reactions, sometimes prompted by mental illness.

The force that might have become necessary if you had taken direct action could well have resulted in you being arrested on suspicion of an offence. In an extreme outcome, if you'd knocked him down and bumping his head or another medical condition had resulted in death, you could potentially have found yourself in serious trouble.
You are not wrong there, extreme being the word. I've not seen someone so enraged before. Has to be fuelled by some sort of mental imballance.

The security found no trace of the man or woman. I can only assume a major domestic. Very very nasty business.

I was attacked many years ago and my attacker came off a little worse than myself. I ended up with a caution from the police. So, I understand that things can get turned around.

Still, I find it difficult to ignore someone in difficulty. No harm done to myself or van, hopefully she's ok but it'll happen again.

Reactions: flecc

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I have always been a skinny little bloke, and have survived by knowing when to keep my head down and my gob shut. I have also learned to talk myself out of trouble. I have had a drink and a song in some pretty rough bars in Glasgow, and emerged unscathed. I have never been a fighter, and these days, with only one working eye, I avoid conflict at all costs.

I think that you did the very best you could in this situation, by not getting out of your vehicle. Confrontation could well have resulted in being injured, or injuring the maniac, and being prosecuted. You did what you could. Hold your head up and be proud.

Reactions: SRS

Advertisers