Fido D11 vs Carrera Crosscity for heavy rider?

dannib898

Just Joined
Aug 7, 2021
Good Afternoon, I will be commuting from Leeds to Wakefield (West Yorkshire) for my new job and require a folding electric bike that I can take on the train from Leeds to Wakefield and cycle 3.5 Miles to work, so approx. 7 Miles in total. The Fido D11 looks great and has good reviews however it has a maximum load capacity of 120kg (19st) I am currently around 20st however attempting to get my weight down so hope to be at the target weight in due course.
Would I be safe to ride the Fido or should I go for the Carrera Cross city? I can not find any information regarding weight limits on the Crosscity, however it looks much stronger than the Fido. I would not be carrying any additional weight apart from some lunch in a light backpack. I ideally need a bike with 36v battery or higher which would be capable of at least 12miles range however I will not rely solely on the motor (I have a good level of leg strength) It would be mainly to help with hills. According to Google maps, the main hill is on return from work and 102ft over 350 meters.
I will pop into Halfords today to view the Crosscity however my heart is set on the Fido due to its looks and compact battery, I believe this will help with transportation on the train. If anyone has any other recommendations please feel free to help if it would be not too much trouble. My budget is £600-£1.2 and I have previously owned a Haibike Hardseven which I loved and built a DIY ebike so have a basic knowledge of the DIY kits but I would like to stay away from this if possible.
Other options I considered was a second hand Brompton with the swytch kit however this would be at the higher end of my budget and the Brompton weight limit is 110Kg. Thank You

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Halfords say the Crosscity has "Maximum Rider Weight Including Luggage: 100kg", but I'm sure that's more a geneal guideline. On my Fiido D11 I've had more than 125kg - it's fine. I'd think any of the options you've considered will comfortably do what you need to do.

On Fiido's style, there's also the Fiido D21 (same frame & battery as D11, different Bronze colour, has a Torque sensor £900), and Fiido X (similar style to D11 but lighter cast magnesium frame, torque sensor and hydraulic brakes £1200 - just launched/starts shipping today).

I'm pretty chuffed with my own D11. As a cheap commuting folding ebike, it's good value.

dannib898

Just Joined
Aug 7, 2021
Halfords say the Crosscity has "Maximum Rider Weight Including Luggage: 100kg", but I'm sure that's more a geneal guideline. On my Fiido D11 I've had more than 125kg - it's fine. I'd think any of the options you've considered will comfortably do what you need to do.

On Fiido's style, there's also the Fiido D21 (same frame & battery as D11, different Bronze colour, has a Torque sensor £900), and Fiido X (similar style to D11 but lighter cast magnesium frame, torque sensor and hydraulic brakes £1200 - just launched/starts shipping today).

I'm pretty chuffed with my own D11. As a cheap commuting folding ebike, it's good value.
Thank you for taking the time to reply, do you recommend a supplier for the Fido? I am worried about getting an extra tax bill like I did with my haibike after buying from the EU.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I bought mine direct from Fiido here. Fiido store and ship from their own UK warehouse. Note they add 8% shipping and charge in US$ but it still works out at about £800, and you're sure of warranty parts and repairs.

There are a couple of UK dealers too, Vive Scooters & Markshop in London are two prominant ones approved by Fiido for sales and repairs.

dannib898

Just Joined
Aug 7, 2021
Thank you, after further research I like the look of the Fiido m1. I don't want to risk getting in trouble with the police so would like to purchase the 250w M1 version. Do you think it would be possible to fit the 48v battery instead of the supplied 36v to increase power? I assume the controller is the same on the M1 and M1 pro. I have been told both hub motors are the same just stamped differently?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Do you think it would be possible to fit the 48v battery instead of the supplied 36v to increase power? I assume the controller is the same on the M1 and M1 pro.
I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. You'd likely need to change the controller too.
I have been told both hub motors are the same just stamped differently?
I don't think that's true either. The M1 is 250w 36v motor intended specifically for the UK/EU market. M1 Pro is a 500w 48v motor mostly aimed at the US market. AFAIK it's the M21 with torque sensor that uses a 500w motor stamped as 250w.

The D11 is 17kg. The M1 is 25kg and the larger folded size makes carrying something I'd not want to do on a train/cycle commute.

EDIT: I've just checked. The 48v M1 Pro display, controller and motor are all listed as different parts to the standard 36v M1. The M1 motor is £152, the M1 Pro is £182. So no, not the same.

Last edited: