Finally assembled my Tongxin Brompton !

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Hello, I finally got around to finish my 36V Tongxin-powered e-Brompton DIY jobby (to be precise, it's a Merc, a cheap alloy copy of the real 1990's Brompton).

My Bafang-powered e-Brompton (the real one, 2006 model) remains my main and favorite machine. I like the raw power and efficiency of the 36V Suzhou 8-Fun hub motor. The 3x power-level switch on the handlebar really brings versatility to the package, and I totally rely on the pedal sensor to get optimal assistance. For those interested, the link below points to my DIY build log on this very forum:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/4682-diy-stage-1-received-bafang-tongxin-kits-photos.html#post59183

I love how very (VERY) silent the Tongxin unit it (and drag-free too). It's not very powerful but it's perfectly suitable on not-too-steep hills. I have no real use for it at the moment (my wife uses the 36V Bafang-powered iZip Via Mezza Enlightened, same nominal power as the Tongxin but noticeably stronger in the hills). I will keep it nonetheless because it makes a great A-to-B e-bike for short trips round the village, especially if I can find a cheap low-capacity 36V A123 cell pack.

Cheers, Dan

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
What no pictures :confused:

Sounds great lets see it Dan

Regards

Jerry