Finding out the gradient of hills

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Is there a website I can go to where it will show the gradient of a hill in a specific location?
I haven't got a fancy smancy smart phone that will map hills in real time, so it must be something I can access on a home PC.

Anyway of doing this on Google Earth?

Last edited:

hihihi

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Isle Of Wight
I find the Ordnance Survey option in Bing Maps useful, albeit in some areas the contour lines are tricky to see.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know of any website for this, and Google Earth visually distorts slopes.

If it's a hill you can go to, you can easily physically measure it's gradient as I've shown on this link.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Useful Miles, though as so often happens, it needs some distance for accuracy. My local 316 foot long 14% measures as just under 4%!

Checking a nearby 1/3rd mile long hill gave an accurate result.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Is there a website I can go to where it will show the gradient of a hill in a specific location?
I haven't got a fancy smancy smart phone that will map hills in real time, so it must be something I can access on a home PC.

Anyway of doing this on Google Earth?
Yes, there is a very accurate way to show gradients in Google Earth.

With the your route showing on Google Earth.

Select 'TOOLS' - 'RULER'. In the Ruler dialogue box select 'PATH'
Select Metric or Imperial as required.

Using the mouse, trace the route up the hill, following any bends.

Save the route and then click on 'EDIT' - 'SHOW ELEVATION PROFILE'

The profile will show across the bottom of the screen and give the maximum incline for the route, it will also show exactly where that maximum is on the saved route.

For several weeks earlier this year, I had an accurately calibrated digital inclinometer fitted to my Kalkhoff Sahel. All readings from this matched those shown in Google Earth very precisely.

Reactions: Tawse57

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Further to my last, If the method described in my first reply is successful, this is what the Google Earth view will look like.

The red arrow shows the steepest point, 11.9%. Stopping Sahel at that point, the inclinometer showed exactly the same value.

Reactions: Tawse57

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
You can also use the directions option on Google earth and then get an elevation profile for the whole route, eg chose your FROM and TO click on edit, select show elevation profile and you are done.:)

Last edited:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Cheers John, that's a useful tip.

I've just checked out the route up to Barbury Castle.

SN4 0TH to SN4 0QH

A couple of months ago, I visited Barbury on the Kalkhoff. The inclinometer showed the steepest point, 16.5%, about ten yards beyond the track that goes along to Barbury Shooting School. This is spot-on with the gradient shown in the elevation profile on Google Earth.

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
You are welcome Blew it, adds some interest to our rides and it's good to know about the accuracy of google my son and I were only talking about this the other day.
Just checked out your route using street view on google nice little trip lovely countryside, I think it would be quite interesting to post some routes using post codes as you did so we can enjoy other peoples rides.

Last edited:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
For several weeks earlier this year, I had an accurately calibrated digital inclinometer fitted to my Kalkhoff Sahel. All readings from this matched those shown in Google Earth very precisely.
calibrated digital inclinometer? Are these readily available and reasonably priced? I could use a new gadget!

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
calibrated digital inclinometer? Are these readily available and reasonably priced? I could use a new gadget!
I too was interested in Blew it's mention of digital inclinometer. A short search for a cheap one brought up:

DigiPas Digital Screw-On Level 0.05° Resolution DigiPas screw-on digital inclinometer module

It costs around £50 + vat. Looking at the spec it seems it would be fine for attaching to an e-bike. It would have to be positioned running fore and aft, so the readout might be hard to see when cycling along. If fixed somewhere like the cross bar or on the bike rack, it would be easy to use when dismounted from the bike and standing alongside the bike.

Blew it: What model did you use?

My general comment after reading through this thread, is that I personally have found the method advocated by Flecc, using a spirit level set horizontal and a ruler to measure the distance of one end from the road is the most reliable - provided the road surface is not too rough or bumpy.

The bikehike.co.uk website works very well but it uses either the 1:50000 OS or googlemaps. Unlike Blew it, I find these sources of elevation are not really accurate enough for my local hills which have slopes which vary between contour intervals. I have used 1:25000 OS which are better since the contour intervals are smaller, 5m. However, I think even these have limitations, since the roads on hills are often not at the same height as the adjacent ground on which the contours are shown on the map. There is often a high bank and the road is in a cutting. So there are likely errors of due to the difference between the road height and that of the adjacent ground.

GPS is another possible source of altitude intro, but I find this to be quite a bit less accurate than the best 1:25000 OS map data.

All in all, Flecc's method, or the digital inclinometer seems to offer the most accurate data for hills with slopes that vary.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
This is possible with BikeHike: bikehike.co.uk - Course Creator

Choose "Show Elevation Data" and then select the "Gradient" option.

Mark a route for the section that you want to measure.

Miles
This a good link can anyone tell me if they have used it for Spain....I am trying to get the route elevation between my home near Alora hasta El Chorro, but cant work out how.....thats where most of my cycling this winter will be, if it works |I will download it ? :)

Lynda

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
mmm.....gadgets.....any excuse for a new gadget :)

Although my handlebars are getting a bit crowded......and I dont have a crossbar ....:(

Lynda

hihihi

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Isle Of Wight
real-time Analogue Inclinometer...

I guess I'm lucky with my android mobile phone (apps!). However, how about this inexpensive, non-power-consuming (for a change), gadget -> the Analogue Inclinometer:

Analogue Inclinometer (pendulum).jpg

:D

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
Lynda I did a test on Google from Taunton to Alora... then go to get directions on G Earth click edit select elevation profile and the whole route is displayed

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Lynda I did a test on Google from Taunton to Alora... then go to get directions on G Earth click edit select elevation profile and the whole route is displayed
John.....thank you so much for that......I can see its going to be a great 'time waster' :D.......

The route from alora to el chorro is quite steep and up and down although it all looks do-able on the map, but I usually only drive up there.....the scenery is absolutely STUNNING...........the railway bridge over the ravine at el chorro is where they filmed that sad scene of Richard Burton being shot in Von Ryans Express

The main problem with me cycling over there is the local spanish drivers, the majority of older drivers there have never taken a test and still drive totally paralytic .......spirits drunk at breakfast, lunch and evening is still the norm there!!
I will have to see if I am brave enough to join them.....on the road that is.....not drinking all day :D

Lynda

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
There are inclinometer apps available for both Android and iPhones for a lot less than £50....