First bicycle road accident tonight.

D

Deleted member 25121

I understand what you are saying ebiker 99, but all I can say is that my own car insurance policy was unaffected.

I think if I was making a no fault claim in respect of a car accident I am sure you are right, but as bicycles do not need to be insured the personal injury claim I made did not effect my car or for that matter any other insurance policy I held when they were renewed.
Hi georgehenry, just to clarify I was replying to ttxela who I think was discussing no fault claims where both parties were driving cars. In your case making a no fault claim as a cyclist then your car insurance shouldn't be effected in any way.

karljohn

Just Joined
Sep 6, 2020
Hold on, cyclists really don't have insurance? I'm just just going to buy an ebike this year. So, I was looking for info about insurance here... It's kind of dangerous without insurance.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Hold on, cyclists really don't have insurance? I'm just just going to buy an ebike this year. So, I was looking for info about insurance here... It's kind of dangerous without insurance.
Do you currently cycle? Do you currently have insurance? Are you referring to theft cover or liability insurance when you say its dangerous to not have insurance?

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Sorry to hear abut the accident, glad you survived OK.

Same as @ttxela, I've had 2 folk crash into my car and offer to pay cash - both were difficult when it came to paying. Both were in the wrong. One accused me of causing the accident after pulling out without looking my direction, the other agreed it was his fault at the scene then argued it was 50/50 when I went to collect the cash.
I've also found passing police to be useless (one told me "Nobody is hurt - it is not a police matter", during a road-rage/crash-for-cash scam)

Id like to be able to trust folk, but experience says it's a bad idea.

• Agree
Reactions: TedG

Samcycles

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2020
Northern Ireland
Due to past experiences I always contact the police for every accident regardless of damage, injury or blame. I was involved in an incident with a van driver which the police refused to attend as there were no injuries. I later discovered the van was uninsured had no tax or mot and he had supplied me with a false name and insurance details. I complained to the police who came back to tell me they couldn't trace the van as it had been sold at auction for cash 4 months before my accident. Some weeks later I spotted the van in the town and so I followed him, I was in a different car, He lived in a development where I knew some people who confirmed who he was. I passed the details to the police who arrested him as he was well known to them and was on a driving ban for drink driving at the time. If reporting an accident now and police refuse to attend I tell them I believe the other driver may be under the influence of alcohol or drugs and they have to attend. I also have accident theft and public liability insurance on my bikes.

Martin3520

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 28, 2020
I was knocked off my bike whilst riding to work several years ago. The driver was very apologetic and offered to cover my financial losses at the time. Due to the bike being severely damaged and me having to take a couple of days off work due to the trauma I was about £450 out of pocket. The driver told me there was no chance he was paying that amount and an £80 bike from tesco was the best he would offer. I went to the police and used an injury solicitor as I had minor injuries and was very anxious about riding my bike again. My bike got fixed, I received £3000 in compensation and lost earnings and the driver had to attend a course and was prosecuted for careless driving. It took me a long time to feel safe again whilst riding.

Reactions: flecc

MSG76

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2020
Sorry to read this @Nealh. I've been learning there's very little respect for cyclists on the road. This morning almost got squeezed by a black cab into a grocery truck unloading.
Both on approach to a red light I was on the left close to the truck and the cab just swerved towards me pushing me against the truck. Had to duck my head fast not to hit the side mirror of the truck, from so close I was!!
Most ridiculous cab wasn't even turning left on the light. On green he just kept on straight ahead. He was talking on the phone though, had those white iphone speaker headsets. And this is a road professional!

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
Sorry to read this Nealh, I’m glad that you were not injured badly and that the bike is fixable. Roads are becoming very scary, with some drivers (and cyclists) thinking their journey and place on the road is more important than others! Take care pal!

Reactions: Scorpio

Grebacwhite

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2020
Glad to hear your ok, it is very sad to hear no-one came to help tho. But the fact the driver payed up and sorted out your bike sounds to me like he's an honest enough guy just not paying enough attention. Could've ended very differently with you in hospital etc.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A bit of a thread resurrection so to add more. A year on I'm still out and about, and after the accident was back on the bike the next day.
The driver was another idiot or as I like to call them a Moton (a play on the word Moron) who was too much in a hurry to get from A2B without exercising due care, like most things one of us was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Since Covid started the roads were very quiet almost and cycling was nice for a while, free from pollution and surreal suuroundings with little noise around and above. Now the roads are busier again there are some covid cycle lanes here and there and marked with semi permanent barriers giving cycles a good bit of road space, I have always commanded the road space to a degree when I ride.

Approaching junctions I will take middle road so as not to be passed also I refuse to ride in the gutter and command up to 1mtr of the road, the Covid lane markers help with this and think they have made some driver think a bit more about there driving. Only time will tell if drivers go back to their old selfish ways and bad driving.
Hopefully the new HC hierarchy rules when introduced will also help.

P.s
Again many thanks for the kind words and concern, we have to live, learn and simply move on.

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
Glad to hear that you are OK. Sounds like you handled the situation very well.

It is sad that bystanders arent more willing to lend support. My brother in law was knocked from his bike on a roundabout in Teddington. He was lying on the ground, dazed, for some minutes while drivers just drove past. The guy who knocked him down just disappeared. He was OK, just dazed, but the experience shocked him.