First e-bike, largely commuting but want reasonable all rounder

Parthur

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 9, 2019
Hello..

It's been a fun few weeks researching ebikes and making the decision that I definitely want one. I'd be grateful for some advice to see whether I'm on the right track, and whether there is any options I should consider that I might have missed.

Main reason for buying - I'm about to start a new job that's only a few miles away, just out of walking distance but a real slow traffic filled slog in the car that can be completely missed out with a bike. It's in Sheffield, so hilly by nature, so on the days when motivation would be low I'm hoping the battery assitance will keep me out of the car.

About me - mid-thirties, 80kg, 5'7 - would be fitter if not for two young kids. Used to cycle a LOT when younger, lived in the North York Moors and had a cheap mountain bike that would get me all over Teesside without any stress or real maintenance. Whilst commuting is the main use, I want a bike that is versatile enough to try and relive a few of the days out I had when younger, albeit in the Peaks and not the moors these days. I might also want to take one of the kids out in a seat attached to the back.

Preferences - I like the classic mountain bike/hybrid bike style with a crossbar and a straight handlebar. From what I'm reading I think a crank-driven Bosch, probably just the ActiveLine Plus would be fine, considering my budget and relatively light workload. It seems the tradeoff between lower noise/handling more like a classic bike when not used might be better than the CX line considering I might not need the extra power and torque for 90% of trips.

Budget - Aiming for under or around £2k

Options considering so far
- Haibike sDuro Trekking 1.0 (I love the styling of Haibikes, although mainly the expensive, pointless for my uses ones!), Cube Touring Hybrid One 500, maybe the Raleigh Grand Tour (but not keen on handlebars)

Am I missing anything obvious? Anyone else previously in a similar position, what options did you take? Are my assumptions sound? Thanks.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If you haven't already look at Woosh. (maybe http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?krieger) You'll get a good bike at a considerable saving.

Bosch are excellent, but any repairs or new battery are likely to come in very expensive.

Torque sensors are more 'natural', but still require effort in to get any motor power out. I think all the Bosch bikes have that. The more basic cadence sensors allow you to ghost pedal (turn the pedals but don't apply power), which can be important when you don't feel that motivated.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Here's good starting point, if you haven't seen it already:

Gaz

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Based on your location (Sheffield), height (5ft7) and weight (80kgs), I would suggest the woosh Rio MTB or the Oxygen SCROSS MTB.
Oxygen is nearer to you but the Rio MTB is a bit smaller, 26" wheels rather than 27.5" may suit your height better. Otherwise, they are similar.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rio-mtb

Reactions: Gaz

Parthur

Dec 9, 2019
Thanks for the replies, will have a good look through the Woosh offer. I had missed that thread Gaz, looks better than what I had been considering at a higher price. Seems a no brainer vs the two I mentioned.

Andyj27

Oct 29, 2017
Essex
I've recently bought my first ebike, a Cube Touring Hybrid One 500. I've only ridden it twice and have nothing to compare it with but my initial thoughts are that it is brilliant (stable, comfortable, quiet, good range, decent brakes). My second ride was a 40 mile 4000ft ride on Dartmoor and it coped with the hills no problem and had plenty of battery left at the end.
(I used Eco or Tour mode for the vast majority of the time). It also rides fine with no assistance - until you come to a hill! My knowledge of ebikes is very limited, but I have commented as this bike is one of the models you mentioned. Good luck!

Reactions: Parthur

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
You could buy a mountain bike, but bear in mind a bike for commuting needs mudguards, a rack (usually) and lights.

It seems pointless buying a mountain bike only to set about turning it into a hybrid by the addition of extras, although lots of people do it.

Wide, knobbly tyres are also overkill and will probably drive you nuts on the road with their extra resistance.

They will also wear quickly.

The Scott in the bargain link looks just the job for you, although I see there are other good brand Bosch hybrids knocking about for not much more.

One of the Raleigh Motuses might suit, particularly one with hub gears, which is another plus for a commuter.

Most people find bars with a small rearward sweep comfy.

Reactions: Parthur

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks everyone, I’ve pulled the trigger on the Scott, can’t wait to give it a go!
Good job.

I can't see the point of buying a thousand pound Chinese cheapie, when a proper, quality branded bicycle is available for £1,600.

Unless, of course, you really cannot afford the extra.

• Agree
Reactions: Parthur and Artstu

Lydia94

Jan 1, 2020
Thanks everyone, I’ve pulled the trigger on the Scott, can’t wait to give it a go!
Hi, I'd be interested to know what you think when you try it - I'm also looking for a first e-bike and am still window shopping! Thanks, Lydia

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
  • Agree
Reactions: Artstu

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
That's great, thank you. I'm off to Rutland tomorrow!
Good plan, they do seem to have lots of ebikes.

They've posted on here in the past, not sure if they still do, but their reputation for customer service is at least satisfactory, if not good.

Members on here will be interested to hear how you get on.

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
First time poster after a few weeks of post reading.
I’m also on the lookout for my first e-bike.
I think I’ve narrowed it down to one of the following 3 which retail under £2k.
Cube Acid Hybrid One Allroad. 2020.
Rockrider E-ST 900 from Decathlon. 2020. (I’d have to add extras for road use with the price saving)
Focus adventura2 6.7. 2019

I‘m coming from a Carrera Crossfire 2 hybrid non e, which has served me well over the last 5 years. I regularly cycle 25 miles a morning on it and have recently upped a few rides to 35. Looking to explore more than the mildest of hills as I have the Quantocks and Mendips both within half an hours drive.
Cube is lowest spec in their range but has the new cx drive , rockrider has proven parts but lacks the allroad elements , so did my current ride , and the focus again lowest of their range but is well regarded.
I‘ve watched and read as much as I can find from reviewers and they all seem to fit within the budget for my first ebike. Any comments on the rockrider or focus appreciated as I’m swaying towards the cube purely on dealer location for any problems should they occur.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
First time poster after a few weeks of post reading.
I’m also on the lookout for my first e-bike.
I think I’ve narrowed it down to one of the following 3 which retail under £2k.
Cube Acid Hybrid One Allroad. 2020.
Rockrider E-ST 900 from Decathlon. 2020. (I’d have to add extras for road use with the price saving)
Focus adventura2 6.7. 2019

I‘m coming from a Carrera Crossfire 2 hybrid non e, which has served me well over the last 5 years. I regularly cycle 25 miles a morning on it and have recently upped a few rides to 35. Looking to explore more than the mildest of hills as I have the Quantocks and Mendips both within half an hours drive.
Cube is lowest spec in their range but has the new cx drive , rockrider has proven parts but lacks the allroad elements , so did my current ride , and the focus again lowest of their range but is well regarded.
I‘ve watched and read as much as I can find from reviewers and they all seem to fit within the budget for my first ebike. Any comments on the rockrider or focus appreciated as I’m swaying towards the cube purely on dealer location for any problems should they occur.
You are already pushbiking close to the range of an ebike.

To increase your cycling range you want the bike that performs the best unassisted or on very low power - Eco on a Bosch bike.

That rules out the Focus with the old internally geared motor.

The motor is a dead loss unassisted and not much better on Eco.

The 2020 motor on the Cube is much better in both respects.

Reliability of the Brose motor is questionable, as I would suggest, will be service.

Bosch motors are not perfect, but they are increasingly mainstream and possible to fix.

When I got my first one 10 years ago there was no UK service.

Fortunately I didn't need any.

The bike is still going well, although now relegated to light duties.

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
RobF.
Thanks for the reply. I’ve increased my mileage as I’m mainly cycling on small gradients , some tracks but getting a little bored of the same views. I can average 13mph.
Today I had to stop twice on a mile long climb so ebike definitely needed for me to get up some of the more hilly sections. I’d just climbed a steeper gradient on the ride but this finished me off. I think the cube will be the one, if I can increase the bugdet or find a deal on a pro then I will. Hoping to do some riding in Europe this year so the extra mileage will be of use.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Cube has lights and mudguards.

All it needs is a carrier.

One for a tenner online will be good enough if you are not carrying sacks of coal.

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
The Cube has lights and mudguards.

All it needs is a carrier.

One for a tenner online will be good enough if you are not carrying sacks of coal.
Yeah.
I ruled out the cube with a carrier as I’d rather have the choice over whether I wanted it permanently on the bike or not. Mixed reviews on the mudguards re:trapping stones and mud , I’ll go and look at the choice of cube bikes and decide. Not sure if I’ll be transporting the bike on car roof Thule carrier or tow bar rack so fixed mudguards could be a no no if chance of them getting ruined. I take mine off for transporting on euro travels.

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
Yes I’ve read up on the different specs until my eyes have gone red.
10lb difference in bikes weight with battery removed so ok to lift. My old schwinn weighs more than the cube.

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
Seems to be the latest cx version for under 2k?