First e-bike Raleigh or Carrera

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I absolutely agree about the price for a charger being ridiculous but to suggest that Raleigh bikes are just cheap imported frames re-branded as Raleigh is equally ridiculous. Many of the cheap created brands are just as you describe but Accell don't play in that market. The issues with the Array were created by the Suntour battery & charger just as Kalkhoff got a bad name because of the Daum Impulse motor but it's the bike brand that people remember.
PS I own a Raleigh Pioneer but it dates from 1998 so by then it was part of the German group Derby Cycles.
It's not difficult to find evidence of Raleigh using low end factories in places like Bangladesh so I'm not sure what your reply is all about and why you defend Accell. Pretty sure they even supplied models to Walmart too which were pretty cheap and nasty. Accell give the impression of being higher status than they are. They buy in frames from companies like fuji-ta in China and assemble the bikes in Europe like Haibike but its important to understand that is final assembly not manufacturing the component parts. Even Bosch ebike motors come from China although admittedly they are fully designed by Bosch. You only have to look on the fuji-ta manufacturer's site to see ebike frames identical or near identical to Haibike models. Some higher end bikes especially ebikes get assembled in Europe but most lower end models are fully imported. This is pretty much the norm for most of the European and US brands that sell at mass market prices sadly. My point is that Raleigh gets the low end cheap factories where as other brands get higher end factories in Taiwan and mainland China, Raleigh as a brand is treated like garbage with zero respect for its heritage and customers are exploited with overpricing for fairly low end bikes in my opinion. I've seen Raleigh bikes in local bike shops with slightly rough welds visually and scuffs on the seat post as the internal seat tube has not been properly machined smooth, typical of such lower end factories in Bangladesh, Sri Lanka etc. I've not seen it myself but I've seen comments where frame alignment has been a little poor, nothing terrible but again signs of a lower end factory with quality a little below the average for the industry. It just feels exploitative to me.

Qbol

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 7, 2020
So, I’ve got my Raleigh Array :) What can I say, I’m very happy with it. Can’t compare it to any other E Bike because this is my first one, but it met my expectations. Smooth ride, enough torque to get me up the hills, motor is not loud and good battery life. Bike feels very sturdy and it’s a pleasure to ride it.
Furthermore I can confirm that they’ve fixed the battery charger connection issue as it comes with a cradle which connects to the battery with no problems at all. I think I can’t expect more for £1350 and I’m very happy with the purchase.
BTW, i bought it at Pure Electric in Liverpool, and I’d like to thank the staff as they were extremely friendly and helpful, THANK YOU GUYS :)

trickgixer

Aug 2, 2020
Here is a curved ball for you! Have a look at the range at Decathlon. I recently bought my first pedelec, the Rockrider E ST900. The spec is excellent for the money. It compares well against the well know brand models costing £1k more. The build quality is really good as well. Took it into the mountains last week and was grinning ear to ear with the joy of riding it.

Reactions: gsm.terra

trickgixer

Aug 2, 2020
So, I’ve got my Raleigh Array :) What can I say, I’m very happy with it. Can’t compare it to any other E Bike because this is my first one, but it met my expectations. Smooth ride, enough torque to get me up the hills, motor is not loud and good battery life. Bike feels very sturdy and it’s a pleasure to ride it.
Furthermore I can confirm that they’ve fixed the battery charger connection issue as it comes with a cradle which connects to the battery with no problems at all. I think I can’t expect more for £1350 and I’m very happy with the purchase.
BTW, i bought it at Pure Electric in Liverpool, and I’d like to thank the staff as they were extremely friendly and helpful, THANK YOU GUYS :)
Sorry just saw this post, it was over the page when I wrote mine about the Rockrider. Wishing you many happy adventures on the Array :D

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
In fairness that doesn't look a bad bike but on this forum many criticise the Suntour hub motor system, I personally don't I think its a great option because of its torque sensor. The Array annoyingly uses a 7 speed cassette rather than 8 or 9 speed which is more common for suntour based ebikes, this means a more limited range of cassettes are available but for a casual riding bike like this not an issue. I would say the Carrera Subway ebike at Halfords is a much better ebike for less but they are different designs. The Array is more closely related to the Carrera Crossfire although the Crossfire likely has frames and forks made in a higher quality factory. The Crossfire has better components, 9 speed, LCD display, slighter better battery and will be faster on the flats and uphill due to wider gearing. I'm not really a fan of either because I hate the Suntour forks on both models. The Subway is the faster more comfortable model as it has thicker profile tyres, its much lighter due to lack of front suspension and much stronger and safer but again more of a take anywhere versatile bike where as the Array is more a casual comfort bike like the Crossfire. The Array does have an angle adjustable stem, chain guard, mudguards, rear rack and integrated lights which adds value.

I also have to say the Array shares the same basic LED display as the Subway, you don't get the speed display and other options of the Crossfire but I think for long term durability that is the better option. I've seen so many LCD displays where water ingress has fogged up the display. Admittedly these were Viking and Argos type ebikes not Suntour based. Personally I'd rather buy my own cycle computer and if that fails its a quick and easy replacement.

I tried to see if I could find a better value ebike close to the Raleigh Array but very difficult at the moment with pandemic pricing. There are a few at Parkers of Bolton but the spec's are not directly comparable although similar.

Argos would be the typical place to compare but they only have 4 ebikes listed at the moment and none of this style and I've never seen a Suntour based ebike from them.

Reactions: Qbol

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
Personally, if the speed sensor is something that you want 9and I do) a low range 'cycle computer' with a magnet on the front wheel is really cheap - and can be fitted in a few minutes - so I would do that and have a dedicated device rather than one linked to the BMS and motor
I know that my old - and very cheap - speedometer/computer that I used before I swapped from an Array to a Motus was f more accurate and easy to use than the one on the basic motus!

And anyway - you could always use a GPS speedometer ( or Strava.Endomondo etc) on a phone and be really accurate!

Reactions: gsm.terra

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
Personally, if the speed sensor is something that you want 9and I do) a low range 'cycle computer' with a magnet on the front wheel is really cheap - and can be fitted in a few minutes - so I would do that and have a dedicated device rather than one linked to the BMS and motor
I know that my old - and very cheap - speedometer/computer that I used before I swapped from an Array to a Motus was f more accurate and easy to use than the one on the basic motus!

And anyway - you could always use a GPS speedometer ( or Strava.Endomondo etc) on a phone and be really accurate!
Agreed, pretty much everyone has a smartphone, bike mounts are cheap!