First ebike conversion & Newbie

John Mumby

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 2, 2018
Hi All

I am new to this forum, so hello to all.

I have converted my mountain bike and have a couple of questions.

Firstly I dont think the rear cassette that came with my hub motor is compatible with my current chain/chainset, I,m running XT, its grumbly when pedalling, I tried to change the cassette but its not the same fitment, does anyone know if a suitable cassette can be purchased?

Second question is i want to use the pedal assist sensor but there is no gap between the crank arm and bottom bracket the XT uses a hollow BB so the magnetic disc wont fit in, plus the BB is too big for the magnetic disc to fit over it, is there a way around this?

Just like to add I am made up with my conversion so far and the electric bug is biting me hard.

Thanks John

file-84.jpeg

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
For the pedal sensor -
Enlarge the hole in the magnet disc so that it fits over the bottom bracket (dremel, hole saw etc.).
Then glue the magnet disc to the granny chain ring : from your picture the chain ring is small, so you will probably need to make up a spacer like I did.
If the sensor bracket will fit as it is then great, but otherwise you will need to fix the sensor to the seat tube.
Here's a picture of my setup -
PP1020116.JPG
The spacer looks like this -
pP1020128.JPG
Can't help with the grumbly gears

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
Hi John, I think you have 9spd+ running gear on your bike. As such you would need to change over to the correct speed ie:7-8 spd sorry but that's a minimum new chain but probably mech's and chain rings as well. The only good news is that they are much cheaper than 9spd+ components.

John Mumby

Dec 2, 2018
Thank you

So you have the sensor attached to the frame and the mag disk glued to the low gear and a spacer to bring them closer together, is that correct?

How close do they need to be 1-2mm?

Thanks again

John Mumby

Dec 2, 2018
47CE96F5-2504-4108-B9A8-860E4DC6C2BF.jpeg
Hi John, I think you have 9spd+ running gear on your bike. As such you would need to change over to the correct speed ie:7-8 spd sorry but that's a minimum new chain but probably mech's and chain rings as well. The only good news is that they are much cheaper than 9spd+ components.

Thanks Scott

That’s a ball ache but it makes sense, your right it is 9 speed.

Why does this make a difference are the profiles of the 9 speed teeth and chains different to the 7-8 speed gears/chains?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you have a 9spd cassette then you need a 9spd chain cant mix n match without problems.

with a 12spd chain its so narrow it locks on to the sprocket ;)
DSC_0110.JPG

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Thank you

So you have the sensor attached to the frame and the mag disk glued to the low gear and a spacer to bring them closer together, is that correct?

How close do they need to be 1-2mm?

Thanks again
On my setup I needed the spacer to keep the magnet disc clear of the chain - even with the spacer there is only just enough room. I think my granny chain ring has 22 teeth - if yours has more teeth (bigger diameter) then you might get away without the spacer.
The sensor should be 5mm or less away from the magnet ring - ideally 2 to 3mm. On mine it is about 1mm because everything is so cramped.

jeff St.Clair

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2018
Crete
Yeah I had to glue the magnet disc to the granny cog on my Rockhopper ,I used a two part epoxy ,then I made a new bracket for the sensor that I fastened under the plastic guide for the gear cables under the bottom bracket ..I had to get the gap down to 1.5 mm before the pas would work properly...even then I found the pas not very smooth cutting in and out ...mine has eight magnets ...but I found by setting the controller to twelve magnets ...it worked much smoother ???...one day I will up -grade to a twelve magnet disc .....

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
View attachment 27984

Thanks Scott

That’s a ball ache but it makes sense, your right it is 9 speed.

Why does this make a difference are the profiles of the 9 speed teeth and chains different to the 7-8 speed gears/chains?
Hi John, the profile/spacing is the same but the width of chain and sprocket spacing are different, also a 7-8 speed chain might not go through a 9spd derailleur without catching. soz Gaz

Last edited: