first encounter with electric car

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
This morning going along the single track country road, numerous bends, short visibility. Normally I hear a car before seeing it come around the bend, but today for the first time I met an electric car. As its a single track road, I did what I always do whether riding or driving and stopped. The car just kept on coming, ignoring the passing place on his side of the road & stopped just a short distance from me.
Not aggressive just entitled, forcing me to step into the hedge so he could continue.
I was on the way to the hospice, so it puts things into perspective, so I did not bother to get angry or even converse with him. Those minutes were better spent when I arrived.
The point of the post is even though he appears a good person by switching from ICE it does not alter the driver.

• Informative
Reactions: sjpt and Fingers

ianmitch

Just Joined
Jul 31, 2021
I had a similar situation when my wife and I went on a trip. At first, everything was as usual calm. No one violated traffic rules. Until we started to drive up to the museum https://www.greatbritishcarjourney.com/ and some jerk cut us off. We almost get into an accident, and he also turned around on a double solid line. I don't know how these people get their licenses, but he didn't look more than 22 years old. Usually, young people are more responsible and friendly on the roads, but this was the first time I met such a clumsy driver.

Bigg1es

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 24, 2017
Stockport
The other day I was reading the comments on a report on the chaging law regarding giving cyclists priority over cars. I had though a change in the law was unesesary, however I was stunned by the comments under the article. It appears that large numbers of our fellow citizens beleive that they have some god given priority and cyclists must at all times get out of thier way. I think the only way to change some drivers opinion would be to weld 2 6ft long spikes to the front and back of our bikes. Until then I try to avoid roads where cars are travelling faster than my bike. I do wear high vis clothing. One technique to say safe , especially with a car approaching from the rear, is to wobble around as though you are a bit drunk and leave a bit of space between you and the curb. The wobbling around will catch the drivers eye more and hopefully they will also allow a bit more space. You can move into the safety space a bit closer to the curb just before the car passes.

Advertisers