First Post - Daft Questions re SRAM chainring and bashguard

robotron

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 26, 2019
Hi all,
First post here and what better way to introduce myself than by asking relatively daft questions. I should add that they're only daft because I didn't pay attention the other day when I stripped my bike down to clean it.

I've got a Haibike hardseven 4.0 which has Sram 11 speed kit. I took the crank, bash guard and chainring off to give everything a good scrub.
To be honest, I wasn't paying much attention when I stripped it down as I'm used to working on Shimano kit and it tends to only fit together one way.

First question is - Which way round do SRAM 11 speed front chainrings go?

When I came to reassemble it I realised that the teeth on the chainring aren't symmetrical like they used to be, there's a leading angle on them. You can see it on the image below:

I've reassembled it this way round (looking from the crank). Is this correct?

Second question is re the bash guard:
I've reassembled everything and the bash guard thread isn't fully engaged. There's about 2mm of unused thread that makes it looks like it isn't fully tightened, but it is, everything is torqued up.
See image below:

step.jpg

Was it like this to begin with?

I should have looked more closely before taking stuff apart I guess. Lesson learned for next time.

It seems to be riding OK, but I haven't given it any proper stick yet. I don't want things to fail or wear out in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for any advice!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the sram logo should face outwards if it is the other way round it is why there is now a gap on the bash guard as it wont be flush against the sprocket.

it wont hurt it but id get rid of the bash guard as they just collect crap but looks like you will need another lock ring to remove the bash guard as looks like all in one?

12spd chains will also work if you wanted to try one as the teeth are wide narrow.
DSC_0110.JPG
the chain locks on to the sprocket you cant pull it of the teeth if you tried

robotron

Mar 26, 2019
Thanks for the quick reply, it's much appreciated.
Luckily, I've got it the right way round.

It is an all-in-one, there's no "gap" as such on the inside of the bash guard, it just doesn't use all of the thread. Everything is bottomed out so it appears that it's all tightened up OK.

You'd not know if the sprocket was the wrong way round (until you rode it I guess) as it's would still be clamping between the same two faces. The bash guard will have the step no matter what by the looks of it.

I think it might be by design, I found another image which seems to show the same "step". I'll see how it goes, hopefully I won't get stranded in the back of beyond!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

robotron

Mar 26, 2019
Everything is well lubed, mine had one of those splined plastic covers which had kept all the crud out. I cleaned it and put it back.
The o-ring was fine when I stripped it down so I reused it.

Reactions: soundwave

Advertisers