First ride with BBS01 on trike

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I just got back from the first ride on my recumbent trike with a BBS01.

Ride distance 15.3 km
Average speed 24 kph (15 mph)
Peak speed 50 kph
Elevation gain 309 m
Elevation loss 316 m
Amps used 4.00 ah
watts per km 9.4w (using nominal 36v)

The above was with minimal to no power input from rider (safe to assume 0 watts), the trike is currently geared for a top speed of 30 kph at 80 rpm so average speed could easily be increased, but as I need exceptional hill climbing with out rider input I will most likely leave it as is.
I was rather happy with the ride and speed as I just turn the pedals enough to keep the motor running, the trike being a full blown racing machine probaby helped to keep the watts per km down as it is extremely aerodynamic, all up weight with batteries around 19.5 kg.

Re the BBS01, it is very quite, the delay after tapping the brake to change gear was a real surprise, it brings on low power for a while and then slowly ramps up, the throttle does the same, I can see the sense in it as it would reduce the initial current surge and make life easier for the drive line, but I was used to the Tonaro's full power with in a second or so.

Overall very happy with the BBS01 and installation was a piece of cake.
I am currently running the speed sensor off the chain ring as I need to make a 2 meter extention cable to reach the back wheel as the front ones are an odd size, but it just means the speed indicated is wrong for now, phone app used for all above data.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
That's a good ride and good all-up weight! How much did the trike weigh before the conversion? What battery are you using?

Michael

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
That's a good ride and good all-up weight! How much did the trike weigh before the conversion? What battery are you using?

Michael
13 kg as human powered only, Hobby king LiPo batteries, I havent decided what Ah to use full time so I currently run either 5 ah or 10 ah at 36v.
When I get some new batteries for our digital scales I will re check the weight but the bathroom scales I used are pretty accurate on body weight at least. :)

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex

Michael
I assume you have fitted the motor on the boom of the trike. provided that it is a conventional Tadpole config, so that means you probably have a single ring ,do you find that matters at all?

GeeBee ,I know we share a passion for 'bent trikes and their abilities, 'tis giving me added impetus to do mine!

A pic would be good

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I will take a photo tomorrow when there is more light and post it.
The CD is fitted as you described, I don't think the single ring will be a issue, if I was healthy I would probably order the 52 tooth (available as a bolt on) as a starting point and if in a flatter area go 63 or more (20" rear wheel)

On a recumbent you can alway buy one of the adapters for standard rings and fit one either side for a dual setup as the chain line isn't critical.

This was how it looked before the electrics went on, any excuse to post a photo of my GLR :)
https://flic.kr/p/9eb3QP

Last edited:

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
I will take a photo tomorrow when there is more light and post it.
The CD is fitted as you described, I don't think the single ring will be a issue, if I was healthy I would probably order the 52 tooth (available as a bolt on) as a starting point and if in a flatter area go 63 or more (20" rear wheel)

On a recumbent you can alway buy one of the adapters for standard rings and fit one either side for a dual setup as the chain line isn't critical.

This was how it looked before the electrics went on, any excuse to post a photo of my GLR :)
https://flic.kr/p/9eb3QP
whoa! that greenspeed looks super low, not much chance of rolling that at high speed
p.s. done that twice, once on a Mike Burrows'' windcheatah', and on my Ross Trice ( extreme road camber, got it very wrong)

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Pictures, phone quality :( wiring will be tidied up after the speed sensor is extended.
It's a bit different to a normal trike, ride is quite soft as the frame is CroMo, long and built for a light rider, combined with the bungee cord seat.
The handling is insane I have owned and ridden a number of trikes but the GLR is a different class.
It was designed as a pure racing machine but some of us discovered it has just enough clearance to be roadable :)

I rolled my first trike a Greenspeed GT3, I went into a bike path chicane at high speed and was up on 2 wheels when a massive wind gust hit the bottom of the seat, no damage just reached out and pushed the trike back up onto its wheels and took off again without even unclipping.
They are certainly fun :D:D:D

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
You keep your cycles on carpet!? They have a cosy home! Looks a good conversion and a lot of fun. Thanks for posting that.

I'm considering the BBS01 for a lightweight hybrid bike, currently at 10.9kg. So the conversion added 6.5kg to yours including batteries - hmm, that would take me to 17.4kg. Was hoping to keep it a bit lighter than that but we'll see!

Michael

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
The lightest conversion is a Tongxin or Q100 at around 2kg plus battery, unfortunately I need a lot more assist these days, I used to love a super light e-bike/ trike just to take the edge of a fast hilly ride.
But the above certainly wont climb a 15% without pedalling and with another low gear still left plus the motor temp maxed out at slightly warm. :)

Last edited:

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
The lightest conversion is a Tongxin or Q100 at around 2kg plus battery, unfortunately I need a lot more assist these days, I used to love a super light e-bike/ trike just to take the edge of a fast hilly ride.
But the above certainly wont climb a 15% without pedalling and with another low gear still left plus the motor temp maxed out at slightly warm. :)
thanks for the pic, GeeBee ,one query tho' does the length of chain affect the drive in any way?

Going to be a bit of a blue meanie about chrimbo this year to buy a BBs01 and kit.,only drawback is it is a bit busy on the roads in Essex around here, not good 'bent riding country, tho' I do have a quietish route to work

Last edited:

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
thanks for the pic, GeeBee ,one query tho' does the length of chain affect the drive in any way?

Going to be a bit of a blue meanie about chrimbo this year to buy a BBs01 and kit.,only drawback is it is a bit busy on the roads in Essex around here, not good 'bent riding country, tho' I do have a quietish route to work
The longer chain helps as the BBS01 tends to offset the chain line outwards, which can be an issue on a normal bikes using the inner rear cogs, no problem on a recumbent :)

I got lucky and a new Australian dealer sells the BBS01 for $475 aud delivered in Oz (about 266 pounds).
I live in a city of only ~200,000 people so have no worries riding through town at any time on the trikes, people give me a lot more room than on a bike.
But a bigger city and narrow roads :eek:

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Indeed the Q100 is the other option making it to the fore. However it would probably need to be rear mount (front forks are aluminium) and I'd like to keep the rear cassette so we're looking at Q100CST - plus that comes in 32 hole so I can keep the existing wheels (which I'd want to do). But the cst motor only comes in 201 and 328 windings - 201 too slow, 328 not enough oomph. Unless I go to 48V, 10S3P - but then that's not standard so would need to be custom built and probably wouldn't be too small ...

Anyway, enough thread derailment - my apologies! How do you find the cadence limit on the BBS01? I know it tops out at about 75rpm on 36V.

Michael

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Anyway, enough thread derailment - my apologies! How do you find the cadence limit on the BBS01? I know it tops out at about 75rpm on 36V.
Michael
It's pretty much ideal for me as I have lost fitness my cadence has dropped.