first time ridding for real

Markxc40

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
Hello all.
I'm about to collect my new e-bike nxt week. Apart from a couple of tours around the shop I not ridden any e-bike for any length of time. Is there anything I should do from a safety or enjoyment point of view before I set off.

Cheers

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
As with any bike, double-check the brakes are working, and the headset and pedals not lose. Keep the power setting low till you get used to it (may only be a few hundred yards) and increase slowly. I'm pretty sure the enjoyment will be almost instantaneous ... I hope so, and continue to enjoy.

Reactions: Markxc40

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Maybe keep the seat a little on the low side until you get confident but best to set it at the correct height as soon as you feel you can.
Don't use the highest power until you get used to it.
Don't worry, don't panic, you'll love it:)
Dave.

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
Not knowing the terrain you plan on riding, be careful of over powering on steep uphills. It's easy for the bike to get away from you.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Not knowing the terrain you plan on riding, be careful of over powering on steep uphills. It's easy for the bike to get away from you.
Is that just an issue with cadence only sensing or a full power throttle, as I only have user as opposed to demonstrator experience of torque sensing, and simply can't understand that "warning" in the context of modern controls?

Back on subject, I would take a universal tool to reset things like the saddle height and its and the bars attitude, a spare inner tube, plus a strong lock to secure it if something gives way such that you need to walk, taxi or bus back to get the car for its recovery!

Last edited:

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
Is that just an issue with cadence only sensing or a full power throttle, as I only have user as opposed to demonstrator experience of torque sensing, and simply can't understand that "warning" in the context of modern controls?

Back on subject, I would take a universal tool to reset things like the saddle height and its and the bars attitude, a spare inner tube, plus a strong lock to secure it if something gives way such that you need to walk, taxi or bus back to get the car for its recovery!
Sensor with mid drive. It's happened to me while on rocky paths or hairpin turns.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Sensor with mid drive. It's happened to me while on rocky paths or hairpin turns.
Same thing has happened to me but usually when I am in turbo mode. In these types of tricky situations I tend to use e-mtb mode and find I have much better control of the bike.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Same thing has happened to me but usually when I am in turbo mode. In these types of tricky situations I tend to use e-mtb mode and find I have much better control of the bike.
Ditto. It's very easy to lift the front wheel going over large rocks whilst in turbo.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev

Related Articles

Advertisers