Fitness e-bike - please help :)

Hi all,

I missed this place! Back in the day I owned a cheap synergie ebike that helped me cycle 22 miles a day between bristol and bath and along with weight training it helped me lose five stone or so in five months. Without the electric power there is no way that 21 stone fat Daz would have been able to do those hills on a normal bike and still been able to study all day once I got to Uni. Eventually I got a road bike and sold the ebike but I've missed it to this day.

So to present day and I'm older but much fitter (though more in terms of being quite an advanced bodybuilder than cardiovascular-wise) than I was back then so my requirements are a little different.

I'm looking to use cycling as one of my CV / fat burning activities and will be looking to go from zero as it is currently to around two hours a day. I want an ebike to cope with hills and stop them knocking my training too much into anaerobic training and reducing my time spent cycling and burning fat. I envision cycling above assistance levels on the flats.

I'm 16 stone and 5' 10" and hope to cover good distances so I don't want a mountain bike based bike, needs to be a fairly light hybrid I think.

I've been considering cytronex 9 (charge grater 3), kalkhoff pro connect, Woosh Sirocco CD and the Burisch Synergy GT250. Bikes like the KTM's and Haibike's don't interest me - way too off roady moutain bike style. Budget is up to £2k but lower if I can ;)

Do you think these would suit me or do you have any other suggestions? Any answers very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Daz

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands
Hi Daz,
I was in a similar position to you last year. Been a PT for 30 years but gave up competitive bodybuilding 10 years ago after my second knee op, had 4th knee op last summer and needed none impact biking, i ended up with a Kalkhoff BS10 which has been brilliant, done nearly 2000 miles since last September. Pm me if you need anymore info.
Cheers Gaz

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Hi Daz, I think the 2014 Impulse Ergo XXL is worth considering

Kalkhoff Impulse Ergo XXL i360

Automatic gears, integrated heart beat technology that allows you to maintain a constant level of exercise over a long distance, Impulse 2.0 power. The phrase state-of-the-art is misused, but this electric bike really is.

We've also a couple of the 2013 version in stock which is nearer the £2k mark:

Kalkhoff Impulse Ergo NuVinci Harmony

Reactions: Daz Marshall

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
...I'm 16 stone and 5' 10" and hope to cover good distances so I don't want a mountain bike based bike, needs to be a fairly light hybrid I think.

I've been considering cytronex 9 (charge grater 3), kalkhoff pro connect, Woosh Sirocco CD and the Burisch Synergy GT250. Bikes like the KTM's and Haibike's don't interest me - way too off roady moutain bike style. Budget is up to £2k but lower if I can ;)

Do you think these would suit me or do you have any other suggestions? Any answers very gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Daz
You will be much better off with a Dutch style bike with big fat motor like the BPM.
Go for the Big Bear LS:

Hi Daz,
Im also about to purchase my first ebike
http://cyclezee.com/ezee-torq-mk3.html
is what i like, of the bikes you are looking at the Cytronex and Burisch both have low aH batteries so you wont get that far, for me the Ezee Torq ticks all the right boxes powerful,great range,looks very comfortable,and its well respected by the members on here.
Thanks Deus - good look with your purchase and look forward to hearing how you get on with it. I've always been a fan of the eZee Torqs and it's good to see they're still going well! I'll add it to the list, thanks :)

Hi Daz,
I was in a similar position to you last year. Been a PT for 30 years but gave up competitive bodybuilding 10 years ago after my second knee op, had 4th knee op last summer and needed none impact biking, i ended up with a Kalkhoff BS10 which has been brilliant, done nearly 2000 miles since last September. Pm me if you need anymore info.
Cheers Gaz
Hi Gaz - I'll be joining you soon as a PT. Currently trying to get through the level 2 and 3 courses as quickly as I can (since I've been training 27 years and have a nutrition, physiology & biochemistry degree I have no excuses really ;) ). Still enjoy being a PT? Self-employed or for a gym?

4th knee op? Really sorry to hear that - what caused all the problems? I saw the high powered Kalkhoff BS10 but it's not on 50cycles website any more so assumed it no longer for sale? I have also read about people struggling with crank based as they feel quite different to hub based - which is what I had previously...

Hi Daz, I think the 2014 Impulse Ergo XXL is worth considering

Kalkhoff Impulse Ergo XXL i360

Automatic gears, integrated heart beat technology that allows you to maintain a constant level of exercise over a long distance, Impulse 2.0 power. The phrase state-of-the-art is misused, but this electric bike really is.

We've also a couple of the 2013 version in stock which is nearer the £2k mark:

Kalkhoff Impulse Ergo NuVinci Harmony
Hi Tim, as a web dev can I just say I really like your website! :) Nice, clean and uncluttered.

I'd been looking at the NuVinci's actually - very impressive looking and I like the Endeavours too. And the Pro Connects... and and and.

Can I ask how some of the Impulse II bikes say they have a 28mph limit yet others don't please?

You will be much better off with a Dutch style bike with big fat motor like the BPM.
Go for the Big Bear LS:

Hi Trex, been reading a lot of your posts and learned a lot from them so thanks very much, much appreciated.

You mention the BPM motor a lot and it powers the big bear and four of the Kudos bikes doesn't it? I'm tempted as I'm a big lad and the primary reason for the ebike is to get up hills and let me power along on the straights. So the BPM will sort the first but I'm worried that the heavy bikes and fat tyres won't really allow me to do so well on the straights. I have to remember though that distance / speed covered isn't so important as calories burned and CV fitness gained... hmmm.

I could get a cytronex for only a bit more than a Kudos and as long as I only use the assistance on hills (and it's adequate) I am swinging towards a lighter more capable bike on the straights...?

Not what OP is after going off the post :)
His 16 stone is muscle and he wants cardio road work to add to the weight work, it was why I did both before getting ill.
Try these threads
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/stealth-electric-bike.17923/#post-221228
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/very-lightweight-e-bikes.16923/
Yep! :) Thanks for those threads Geebee, very interesting. I can't hack road bikes though unfortunately, just puts too much pressure on my wrists from having a bulky upper body.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hi Trex, been reading a lot of your posts and learned a lot from them so thanks very much, much appreciated.

You mention the BPM motor a lot and it powers the big bear and four of the Kudos bikes doesn't it? I'm tempted as I'm a big lad and the primary reason for the ebike is to get up hills and let me power along on the straights. So the BPM will sort the first but I'm worried that the heavy bikes and fat tyres won't really allow me to do so well on the straights. I have to remember though that distance / speed covered isn't so important as calories burned and CV fitness gained... hmmm.

I could get a cytronex for only a bit more than a Kudos and as long as I only use the assistance on hills (and it's adequate) I am swinging towards a lighter more capable bike on the straights...?
I am so sorry for not paying attention, it'd be a bit different if you had16st of flab, apologies.
The Kudos Arriba is the best fit:

I am so sorry for not paying attention, it'd be a bit different if you had16st of flab, apologies.
The Kudos Arriba is the best fit:

Hehe it's fine. Thanks Trex. I did look at that and it's on the list for sure. His website doesn't mate it easy to see the differences between the four BPM models (as far as I can tell there are frame differences, gears and the Escape has hydraulic brakes).

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Arriba has torque sensor and hydraulic disc brakes, the Escape is the larger size Arriba for 6fters. The Tornado has cheaper PAS instead of torque sensor and cheaper cable operated disc brakes, the Typhoon is the larger version of the Tornado.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Daz,I think at 5'10" and assuming average to long leg length the Kudos Escape model would meet your needs. It has a German Thun torque sensor that responds to effort and has strong hydraulic brakes. It gives help when you ask but fitness when you want.
The King meter display can be derestricted to give power up to 23 mph but I am sure you realise that it makes it illegal as a bicycle-this subject has been flogged to death in this forum so I assume you understand the implications.
If you don't have a dealer near you with an Escape model,we are willing to ship out for free,if you don't like it we will ship back at cost £25.00,the bike must be returned in new condition.
Hope that helps
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I would have recommended the Tornado if it were fitted with Auriga discs.
The alternative is to get a 26" hybrid bike with decent forks and hydraulic brakes and fit a Big Bear kit. You end up with a nice bike, strong motor and 15AH battery.

Like this Cube Aim SL26 (£479 + £549 for the kit):
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube-aim-sl-26-hardtail-bike-2014/rp-prod114094
total cost about £1000-£1100

D

Deleted member 4366

If you had a nice bike like that, it would be better to fit a Bafang CST rear motor. It's a bit dodgy fitting a high-torque motor to those forks . It can be done, but you need to know what you're doing.
If anybody wants to the power of the Big Bear kit, it would be better to fit it to a bike with steel forks, which normally means a cheap one. I've done about 300 miles on my £5 Trax now, and I enjoy it just as much as any other ebike. Nothing has gone wrong or needed adjusting in that time. I've not even oiled the chain.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I've heard Woosh will have a rear wheel Big Bear kit with optional 36/48V next month, same price £549. I don't know if it's CST though. I think at that price, it's probably freewheel.

Last edited:

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Hi Tim, as a web dev can I just say I really like your website! :) Nice, clean and uncluttered.

I'd been looking at the NuVinci's actually - very impressive looking and I like the Endeavours too. And the Pro Connects... and and and.

Can I ask how some of the Impulse II bikes say they have a 28mph limit yet others don't please?
If Tim doesn't mind me answering on his behalf, the Impulse II is available in nominal 250W guise (Limited to 15.5mph) on most bikes in the range. The exceptions are the "Endeavour" range of S-Class bikes and a couple of the Focus bikes that have the 350W motor with 28mph.