Fitting a 12 volt regulator to 36v bike.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The uk limit for an e-bike or e-scooter on a uk road is 15.5 mph. Motor must be 250watt max with the thumb throttle on a pedal assist only able to accelerate up to 4mph.
Anything greater than that on a uk road you risk getting done.
The hub is supposed to have the wattage shown on it by the manufacturer.
loads of info on this at gov.uk

Bobbo.
The throttle can work up to 15.5 mph as long as power stops when the pedals stop. The 250w max is the rated power, not the actual power. The actual power can be whatever you want as long as you use a 250w motor.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
The uk limit for an e-bike or e-scooter on a uk road is 15.5 mph. Motor must be 250watt max ....
To be pedantic, the 15.5mph limit is in relation to the motor's cut off point - I often pedal well beyond that point albeit without electric assist.

As for the 250w figure, have some fun and get your head around '250w max continuous power' which is something entirely different from the peak power obtainable from perfectly legal UK pedelecs.

And if you've trouble sleeping, look through EN15194

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The uk limit for an e-bike or e-scooter on a uk road is 15.5 mph.
Bikes4two beat me to it ....

Just to clarify, 15.5mph is the maximum assisted speed.
As long as you can pedal it up to 50mph or more that's fine. It's even legal in a 20mph zone, as most speed limits apply to motor vehicles, and and EPAC/Pedelec does not classify as a motor vehicle.

Bobbo1260

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 18, 2023

As long as you can pedal it up to 50mph or more that's fine. It's even legal in a 20mph zone, as most speed limits apply to motor vehicles, and and EPAC/Pedelec does not classify as a motor vehicle.
Plus there’s no requirement to have a speedo to know what speed you are doing

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

Steady on. That's probably not legal. It's true that you can't get a ticket for speeding on a bicycle, but if the police caught you pedalling at 50 mph in a 20mph zone, you'd almost certainly get a ticket for furious cycling, for which you can go to jail.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

Advertisers