Focus jarifa 29er road tyres

gryffe1974

Pedelecer
Feb 3, 2014
Hi folks,

Can anyone reccomend some decent road tyres/semi slick to fit a focus jarifa 29er the tyres supplied are continental raceking 29 x 2.2 and although exellent i feel i would be better off with a slicker tyre for my daily commute that consists mainly of roads and cycle tracks.

Many thanks.

29" = 700c so anything of either size will work on your wheels.

I'd suggest something like the Schwable Marathon Plus. They aren't the lighest, but they will roll quite a bit faster than the race kings you have which are very much an offroad tyre, and should also give decent puncture resistance. You might need some narrower innertubes, depending on what Focus have fitted to your bike as standard.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

I found these while looking for the ones you reccomend would they fit? and what size of inner tubes do i need for them i have no idea of the size of tube i have at the moment.

http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/SCHWALBE-ROAD-CRUISER-MTB-29/392

Cheers.
Anything with Schwalbe written on it won't be too bad, but as KTM says, Marathon Plus is best.

The tyres you have linked to are cheap for a reason, not least fewer threads per inch in the carcass.

You've spent best part of £2K on the bike, trying to shave a few pounds off the cost of tyres is the falsest of false economies.

Buy these and buy once:

http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/SCHWALBE-MARATHON-PLUS-MTB-29/300

Robb9771

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 3, 2014
I would highly recommend a Continental Speed King 29 by 2.2. these are semi slicks which are ideal for fast road use but still have some edge grip if you happen to go off road. With a 29er a tyre width of 1.5 or less will look a bit skinny and may upset the handling of a 20kg + bike

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Just ordered one of these, as I don't do the silly stuff, just Leeds Liverpool canal and local roads. If it's any good will get another..
http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/415/halo_twin_rail/halo-twin-rail-tyre.html
I would be interested to know if you have actually had a Shwalbe Marathon Plus in your hands to compare with what you bought. The Shwalbe is a roboust tyre with stiff side walls and a very thick puncture protection layer. They also inflate to 85psi. This means low rolling resistance and less risk of puncture. All things that would be desirable for a commuter bike.

If the tyre you purchased is a standard build £15 tyre, might I suggest purchasing a bottle of Slime or tubes ready filled with self sealant. If these tyres are the equivilent to the Shwalbe, lets us know as this would be a great deal.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Actually they are£26.. I wonder if I posted the wrong link.... It's an age thing.
The price changes depending on which size you order. It only shows the cheap price when you go to the page and before you choose the size.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
View attachment 8169View attachment 8169
Hi folks,

Can anyone reccomend some decent road tyres/semi slick to fit a focus jarifa 29er the tyres supplied are continental raceking 29 x 2.2 and although exellent i feel i would be better off with a slicker tyre for my daily commute that consists mainly of roads and cycle tracks.

Many thanks.
Hi folks,

Many thanks.
New tyre arrived today and am impressed, The tread pattern is reassessed to give a quite smooth ride on tarmac with some decent grip off road and is marked "Puncture Resistant". It wont do for the extreme stuff but its ok for me. Tried it on hard packed mud, new loose hardcore, tarmac and a few miles on the tow-path.. Feels smooth, quiet and safe and seems to roll really well! so will be ordering another (Recommended)
Halo Twin Rail 2 Multi Tyrenew tyre.jpg