Focus TEC Battery system

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
I recently ordered a Focus Bold2 (and I am a bit excited/impatient!) and was wondering whether anyone had first-hand experience of the TEC system - an extra battery that doubles the energy available... I didn't order one initially as it was out of stock but suspect I might need it for longer rides. Any insights appreciated!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A twin battery set up probably similar to the R & M Bosch system most likely. Although you would have double the energy for longer rides the system most likely only draws power from each battery only one at a time in stages switching between each other.
If they were run in direct parallel then the pair would act as one but the risk is too high as people who don't understand batteries may try and connect two batteries with widely different voltages, batteries at widely different voltages connected in parallel is dangerous.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
A twin battery set up probably similar to the R & M Bosch system most likely. Although you would have double the energy for longer rides the system most likely only draws power from each battery only one at a time in stages switching between each other.
If they were run in direct parallel then the pair would act as one but the risk is too high as people who don't understand batteries may try and connect two batteries with widely different voltages, batteries at widely different voltages connected in parallel is dangerous.
Hi. Hopefully the manufacturer knows what they're doing! I just wondered whether anyone had one and found it useful or too cumbersome to carry around. Rather than coming with a 500 Wh battery like most recent bikes, it has an internal 378 Wh battery, which can be supplemented by attaching another of the same capacity. I hadn't really considered which battery the motor would draw from at any particular time, though it's probably not particularly a worry for me

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
I have the Focus Jam2 with the TEC pack. I mostly ride in eco and find the 375w internal battery sufficient, I roughly get 30 miles with say 3,000 ft of climbing though of course it can vary. The key is the amount of climbing on the ride. The TEC battery is also 375W and I usually carry it ion my Camelback H.A.W.G. for peace of mind, it isn't heavy.

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
I have the Focus Jam2 with the TEC pack. I mostly ride in eco and find the 375w internal battery sufficient, I roughly get 30 miles with say 3,000 ft of climbing though of course it can vary. The key is the amount of climbing on the ride. The TEC battery is also 375W and I usually carry it ion my Camelback H.A.W.G. for peace of mind, it isn't heavy.
Thanks Tom - that's what I needed to know! I haven't ordered the pack yet as it seems to be constantly out of stock on James's web site, but I will once I get the bike (next week, hopefully!). Are you happy with Focus generally??

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
I am very pleased with it, does all I need it to do and no dramas, now done 1000 miles and it has not missed a beat.

Tom

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
Incidentally, the TEC battery can be fitted at any point, when it is connected, the motor uses it and then simply reverts to the internal battery when it is disconnected.
Tom

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Incidentally, the TEC battery can be fitted at any point, when it is connected, the motor uses it and then simply reverts to the internal battery when it is disconnected.
Tom
Yes, thanks, I saw a YouTube video that explained. Seems better that way rather than partially draining both batteries. Glad you didn't say that the big is garbage!!

Reactions: Tom Rae

Related Articles

Advertisers