Focus Vs Cube Vs Wisper

bobbyjum

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 12, 2021
Hello,
Chubby (5'6", 12.5st, 42yr) non-cyclist looking to get an ebike to commute to work in Edinburgh (very hilly).
Have looked at the Focus Aventura 6.6, Cube Kathmandu Hybrid One and the Wisper Wayfarer.
Don't think I can test ride any of them due to the shortages, so any help would be great.
Cheers muchly!

innate

Aug 7, 2020
Hello,
Chubby (5'6", 12.5st, 42yr) non-cyclist looking to get an ebike to commute to work in Edinburgh (very hilly).
Have looked at the Focus Aventura 6.6, Cube Kathmandu Hybrid One and the Wisper Wayfarer.
Don't think I can test ride any of them due to the shortages, so any help would be great.
Cheers muchly!
Sorry you haven’t had any replies yet. I’m wondering what the functional differences are between the Cube Kathmandu Hybrid One and the Cube Reaction Hybrid One (which is what I have). My tip would be that even if you can’t test ride before purchase try to get the bike fully assembled before you take possession of it. I screwed one of my pedals on wrong which meant a protracted repair. Also make sure you have somewhere completely secure to lock your bike up at home and at work. Don’t just secure the wheels and frame but make sure the battery is secure too, or remove it.

Reactions: bobbyjum

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I'm kind of in the same boat, looking to buy my first(of 2) ebikes.
The focus and cube you list are 2 of the bikes im considering, also the Focus Jarifa 6.6 nine and the Trek Powerfly sport 4 equipped, and along with a much cheaper option - Carrera Crossfuse.

Obviously the larger 615w battery gives more option of range, might be the best option for Edinburgh
Though most of the bikes listed seem to come in at 25kg(the Carrera is 20kg) which is bound to limit range to some degree and maybe the lighter carrera is a better bet given the difference of some 5kg.
Spec wise its all pretty much the same,and all (A personal beef) quite low spec really, in fact the carrera is about the same spec as the focus and cube, priced at nearly a thousand pounds more. Seems a bit of a stretch to be paying near a grand extra for effectively 100w or 225w extra.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobbyjum

bobbyjum

Jul 12, 2021
Sorry you haven’t had any replies yet. I’m wondering what the functional differences are between the Cube Kathmandu Hybrid One and the Cube Reaction Hybrid One (which is what I have). My tip would be that even if you can’t test ride before purchase try to get the bike fully assembled before you take possession of it. I screwed one of my pedals on wrong which meant a protracted repair. Also make sure you have somewhere completely secure to lock your bike up at home and at work. Don’t just secure the wheels and frame but make sure the battery is secure too, or remove it.
Thanks, great tips. Wouldn't have thought about the assembly.

bobbyjum

Jul 12, 2021
I'm kind of in the same boat, looking to buy my first(of 2) ebikes.
The focus and cube you list are 2 of the bikes im considering, also the Focus Jarifa 6.6 nine and the Trek Powerfly sport 4 equipped, and along with a much cheaper option - Carrera Crossfuse.

Obviously the larger 615w battery gives more option of range, might be the best option for Edinburgh
Though most of the bikes listed seem to come in at 25kg(the Carrera is 20kg) which is bound to limit range to some degree and maybe the lighter carrera is a better bet given the difference of some 5kg.
Spec wise its all pretty much the same,and all (A personal beef) quite low spec really, in fact the carrera is about the same spec as the focus and cube, priced at nearly a thousand pounds more. Seems a bit of a stretch to be paying near a grand extra for effectively 100w or 225w extra.
Yeah, I've been finding it hard to work out what the difference between brands (and their costs) really amounts to, particularly if the drive system is the same.
I know with 'name brands' there is a reputation factor but is it really worth a grand?!