Fold up e bikes

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
I was recently on here asking for advice on cars etc to carry bikes inside, anyway changing the car has been ruled out now by her indoors. So we are thinking of a couple of fold up bikes, the bikes we have at the moment are Wisper 705 T, they are two years old exactly, and we have been very pleased with them, but they won’t fit in the car we have now. Before anyone says anything I am not interested in any form of outside bike rack. My only concern with a fold up is the strength of the frame, especially at be bendy bit and we’re the bike joins together, I’m not a lightweight, about 16 stone , She’s lighter, by about a stone and a half. Any suggestions on good strong fold up bikes, preferably with slightly larger wheels, ie not Brompton size. We would try and sell our Wispers, or may see if we can part ex them, there in as new unmarked condition.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I was recently on here asking for advice on cars etc to carry bikes inside, anyway changing the car has been ruled out now by her indoors. So we are thinking of a couple of fold up bikes, the bikes we have at the moment are Wisper 705 T, they are two years old exactly, and we have been very pleased with them, but they won’t fit in the car we have now. Before anyone says anything I am not interested in any form of outside bike rack. My only concern with a fold up is the strength of the frame, especially at be bendy bit and we’re the bike joins together, I’m not a lightweight, about 16 stone , She’s lighter, by about a stone and a half. Any suggestions on good strong fold up bikes, preferably with slightly larger wheels, ie not Brompton size. We would try and sell our Wispers, or may see if we can part ex them, there in as new unmarked condition.
I was recently helping colleague with very similar purchase needs

What's your budget though and I'll dig out the research

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can adapt normal bikes/ebikes to fit in a car. Replace the pedals with folding or quick-release ones:
Replace the stem clamp bolts with quick action ones. these are an example, you need to find the right length and thread size:

Then, all you need to do is remove the front wheel, turn the handlebars in line with the frame and fold the pedals. The bike will then fit nicely behind the front seats or lay in a hatchback with the rear seats down. That's quicker and easier than folding a folding bike.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
I was recently helping colleague with very similar purchase needs

What's your budget though and I'll dig out the research
Hi
Sort of depends on what we can sell our two Wisper bike for, was thinking along the lines of about £1400 max for each bike. Not really sure what our bikes are worth, there in as new condition, no marks, one with standard battery, the other with larger battery, both done no more than 300 miles each. Thanks

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
You can adapt normal bikes/ebikes to fit in a car. Replace the pedals with folding or quick-release ones:
Replace the stem clamp bolts with quick action ones. these are an example, you need to find the right length and thread size:

Then, all you need to do is remove the front wheel, turn the handlebars in line with the frame and fold the pedals. The bike will then fit nicely behind the front seats or lay in a hatchback with the rear seats down. That's quicker and easier than folding a folding bike.
That’s all ok, but to much of a faff, they would also take up to much room, making taking luggage etc on holidays very difficult. It’s something we want to avoid, fold up bikes a much better alternative.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
[QUOTE="denwyn, post: 517650, member: 10552"
]
That’s all ok, but to much of a faff, they would also take up to much room, making taking luggage etc on holidays very difficult. It’s something we want to avoid, fold up bikes a much better alternative.
[/QUOTE]

Your budget is a great deal more than my colleague. He was after two bikes for 1200ish

He ended up ignoring my recommendation and buying the argos folder. He seems happy but it is his first bike. It will pants after a whisper

Not sure I can help tbh. I suggested the decathlon folder to him as it goes in a motor home all over France for 5 months of the year. They ha e excellent cs for the most part and there are stores all over the place.

Your needs are a bit different

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I should add he is 18 stone so over the official weight limit for the bikes he looked at. Except argos which drove the decision (125kg

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Do you know how much space folding bikes occupy? Try one to see.

• Agree
Reactions: Ocsid

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Only seen pictures and reviews online so far, going to test one next week, shop is interested in part ex deal for our two 705t Wispers. We have a Ford BMax, they will fit in ok for days out, and for holidays it’s no issue with the seats down with plenty of luggage space, sliding rear doors make access easy. More or less narrowed it down to Wisper folding bike, build quality is excellent.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Change of plan, my partner tried a fold up bike this morning, she wasn’t happy on it at all, didn’t like the smaller wheels, I was ok but afraid I’ve been overruled. She now wants to look at bike racks for the car, it’s not an option I really fancy, to keep the peace I will look more into it. I’ve told her it’s best part of £1000 for Tow Bar fitted, and a decent 2 bike rack, I just don’t trust the safety of bikes on a rack.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It costs £378 or less to fit a towbar to your car.

You can get a very good towbar bike rack for £150.

I'm sure if you shop around, you can get both for less than £500, which is a lot cheaper than selling your two Wispers aand buying two folding bikes.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Change of plan, my partner tried a fold up bike this morning, she wasn’t happy on it at all, didn’t like the smaller wheels, I was ok but afraid I’ve been overruled. She now wants to look at bike racks for the car, it’s not an option I really fancy, to keep the peace I will look more into it. I’ve told her it’s best part of £1000 for Tow Bar fitted, and a decent 2 bike rack, I just don’t trust the safety of bikes on a rack.
I have travelled across Europe at over 130mph and just this morning come up a winding mountain pass very quickly with bikes (not ebikes) on the roof with no problems. I have had my ebike on the roof but its not something I would like to travel far with. On the other hand I have driven many miles with it on a rear rack similar to a towball mount without any problems.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
That carrier is going to be marginal for two e-bikes, which will be around 40kg even without batteries.

Reactions: Paul Kay and Jonah

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
It costs £378 or less to fit a towbar to your car.

You can get a very good towbar bike rack for £150.

I'm sure if you shop around, you can get both for less than £500, which is a lot cheaper than selling your two Wispers aand buying two folding bikes.
Thanks for that, I have looked at Towbar Express, for a tow bar with swan neck towing hitch, wired with dedicated electrics for my car its £445. I have also looked at several 2 bike tow bar bike racks, I like the Thule Easyfold XT2, they seem to have a good name for bike carriers. As you say even spending this its going to be cheaper than buying two bikes. I just need to check the Wisper 750 t will fit safely, only concern I have is there step through bikes, with large oval frame down tube and no cross bar. I wonder if the adjustable holders on the fixing rods on the Thule will be big enough. I think I have seen Thule racks in Halfords, so I may just see if they have this model in to check it out first....Thanks for the advice.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can put the clamp on the seat tube, though you might need temporarily raise the seat for that to make room for the clamp if you have it set at the bottom.

Folding pedals and quick action stem clamp bolts make it much more convenient to put your bikes on a 2-bike towbar rack. It's no faffing to make your bike flat like that. It takes about 10 seconds. I do it every day when I bring my bike in the house. It's much easier than fighting my way past the handlebars and catching my ankles on the pedals.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A few days ago, a customer put two e-bikes on his Thule roof rack.
It's quick and easy. The two bikes are clamped in about 2 minutes.
He carries a step ladder in the boot.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
You can put the clamp on the seat tube, though you might need temporarily raise the seat for that to make room for the clamp if you have it set at the bottom.

Folding pedals and quick action stem clamp bolts make it much more convenient to put your bikes on a 2-bike towbar rack. It's no faffing to make your bike flat like that. It takes about 10 seconds. I do it every day when I bring my bike in the house. It's much easier than fighting my way past the handlebars and catching my ankles on the pedals.
I’ll look into these items, I understand the folding pedals, unsure why I would need Quick action stem clamp bolts, although a bigger problem would be even getting near her bike with a spanner..lol. Bikes are kept in very roomy garage / workshop so not really in the way there, but if I think it may help with a bike rack I’ll do mine to see how it goes. Thanks for the help.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I’ll look into these items, I understand the folding pedals, unsure why I would need Quick action stem clamp bolts, although a bigger problem would be even getting near her bike with a spanner..lol. Bikes are kept in very roomy garage / workshop so not really in the way there, but if I think it may help with a bike rack I’ll do mine to see how it goes. Thanks for the help.
To get two bikes on a 2-bike rack is a bit of a faff. you have to put them opposite ways round, otherwise the handlebars clash. The pedals catch whichever way you do it. The quick action screws on the step allow you to turn the bars into the same plane as the wheel. with the pedals folded, it makes the bike flat, so you can wheel it onto the rack without anything catching. All this will make sense when you try to put your bikes on the rack.

You don't need any spanners to do any of these mods, nor to use them.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Ordered two sets of pedals for now. I’ll see how it goes first re the handlebars when we get the tow bar and rack fitted. I do spin the handle bars to the side when bikes are not used in winter months, yes I can see it would be so easy with the quick action screws, if I find we need it. Thanks.

Audio2

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2015
Could you please post a link to Quick action stem clamp bolts ? I can find seat fittings but not a fitting to replace the twin allen key bolts on my stem.