Folder conversion advice

fildok

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 6, 2011
So I'm still wondering what to do and like some others on here I've ended up tying myself in knots with all the options up for grabs.
I'm looking for a not too expensive folder for canal trips etc . Somewhere on here someone suggested converting a Claude Butler Cirrus with a Bafang mid drive.. so I would like to ask the folks on here who have more knowledge than I a few questions.
Can anyone see a problem(s) doing this taking into account that although I am quite handy I have never done anything like this before.
Who would I purchase the kit from?
Would I be better of with a generic type folder that everyone seems to be selling under their own moniker?
I don't mind the latter but most of the stuff under a grand seems to be pretty low spec with the battery behind the seat post down tube - I think that's the technical term.
Feedback appreciated.

Phil

D

Deleted member 4366

Hub-motors become much more attractive for bikes with small wheels because you get a substantial rise in torque. A small motor, like the Q100H or Q100C is very light. A 201 rpm one with a S06S controller and a Luna Mighty Mini 52v battery will give a speed of about 18 mph and give masses of torque for climbing. One of those will save you about 2kg compared with a crank-drive.

Another problem with crank-drives and bikes with small wheels is the gearing. The standard 44T chainring on BBSxx is designed for big wheels. A bike with 20 " wheels needs at least 50T with a 11T at the back. If you have a 14T freewheel on the back, you need a 60T chainring.

Last edited by a moderator:

fildok

Sep 6, 2011
Hub-motors become much more attractive for bikes with small wheels because you get a substantial rise in torque. A small motor, like the Q100H or Q100C is very light. A 201 rpm one with a S06S controller and a Luna Mighty Mini 52v battery will give a speed of about 18 mph and give masses of torque for climbing. One of those will save you about 2kg compared with a crank-drive.

Another problem with crank-drives and bikes with small wheels is the gearing. The standard 44T chainring on BBSxx is designed for big wheels. A bike with 20 " wheels needs at least 50T with a 11T at the back. If you have a 14T freewheel on the back, you need a 60T chainring.

Another problem with crank-drives and bikes with small wheels is the gearing. The standard 44T chainring on BBSxx is designed for big wheels. A bike with 20 " wheels needs at least 50T with a 11T at the back. If you have a 14T freewheel on the back, you need a 60T chainring.[/

Thanks for your advice d8veh. It's all something I need to get my head around which I'm prepared to do. There are some folders with the larger chain rings around so I will pursue that first.

fildok

Sep 6, 2011
Oops! Don't know what happened there.
Thanks for your reply - great advice d8veh. There are some folders out there with larger chain rings so will investigate that first

Swinman

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2016
Leicester
Hi depending on the path you ride on, I would consider a sturdy bike I've just got a cheap one to try out and see if it's up to the ride I want from a small wheel bike , if your on Tarmac paths then it's no problem , if you can rent a bike and try it out then maybe you will have a better idea of your needs bigger motor and battery cost more and if you only want peddle assist then you don't need to go big

fildok

Sep 6, 2011
Yes ,the idea is that because I live 30 mins by car to the Peak District- Tissington trail etc. I want something that I can fold down and put in the back . I don't mind doing it myself although I'm probably being a bit nieve at the enormity of the task. So I will look for something like a Dahon or that ilk and then once I've digested the info that people like d8veh has given re batteries ,motors,controllers etc I will take the plunge.