Folder parts for child's bicycle?

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
I recently bought a new bicycle for my nearly 6-year old boy, who is small for his age - 103cm.

It's a cheap job, made in Malaysia of heavy tubing.

We ride nearly 5 km's each day, the route includes some hills to train his muscles.

In this size - 16" wheels - you can't buy children's bikes with gears, only the next size up 20", but he's already struggling to get on the one he has.

He is a bit envious of the features of my Agattu, so I would like to improve his bike with Schwalbe Big Apples, a 3-gear hub and a dynamo hub.

I reckon the cheapest way to get these goodies would be to buy a folder with them and move them to his bike until he grows out of it?

Will the Big Apples make a difference at his weight - 16 kg's and speed - 10-12 mph ?

He has just started in a new kindergarten which he can ride to (accompanied by my wife) via a mostly unpaved cycle path, which ends in a hill that they both have to walk up. My wife rules out an electric bike for him, I'm sure he would find it very cool.

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
Imagine it was possible to shorten a Dahon folder to suit him, that would make a super nice children's bike.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Big apples may be a bit heavy for him, as he is so light he should get just as good a ride from normal tyres with reduced pressure.
Good luck with the gears, sounds like eBay might be your friend.

Advertisers