Folding bike advice

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
We own two Wisper 705t bikes, have had them just over 3 years. Have lately been thinking of swapping them for a couple of folding e bikes. The bikes are in first class condition and I have just put new battery on one, we have would though like to take them with us in the car, they just won’t fit in easy, did try but it’s just not worth all the hassle. Folding bikes would be a better option. I realise folding bikes are maybe not as strong as a fixed frame bike, we are both around 15.5 stone, just would like some recommendations on strong folding bikes. Oh and I know a bike rack would solve it, but I don’t want a tow bar fitting to the car, so that option is out.
Thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I am pleased with my Tern, worth a look.

Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

I am pleased with my Tern, worth a look.

Terns and Dahon with 20" wheels ride great - almost like real bikes! They don't fold as small as the 16" wheelers - but the twitchiness of 16" wheels, I cannot abide.

We own two Wisper 705t bikes, have had them just over 3 years. Have lately been thinking of swapping them for a couple of folding e bikes. The bikes are in first class condition and I have just put new battery on one, we have would though like to take them with us in the car, they just won’t fit in easy, did try but it’s just not worth all the hassle. Folding bikes would be a better option. I realise folding bikes are maybe not as strong as a fixed frame bike, we are both around 15.5 stone, just would like some recommendations on strong folding bikes. Oh and I know a bike rack would solve it, but I don’t want a tow bar fitting to the car, so that option is out.
Thanks

Lots of Terns and Dahons out there, both new and secondhand. You could covert two - I converted my very old Dahon Helios P8, and I'm very pleased with it indeed (Bafang BBS01b mid drive).

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for all the advice, I like the Brompton but it's a bit to expensive. I don't know the others mentioned but will definitely have a look at them. I'm afraid I don't really want to do my own bike conversion. We possibly have someone interested in buying both of our Wisper bikes, just a bit more negotiation to do on price .

D

Deleted member 33385

I'm afraid I don't really want to do my own bike conversion.

If Woosh or Brighton ebikes have conversion kits in stock, you could have suitable donor bikes professionally converted by them instead. Just a thought. Quite a lot of folding bikes are sold in pairs on ebay secondhand.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Thanks
I can recommend MiRider which is within your weight range. I was 13.5 st when I first got mine and although I’ve lost a stone, it still beats my full size up the local hill roads.

A few are coming up for sale on the usual auction sites and mine is listed on this site. Also comes with a second battery for forum members.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
We borrowed a friend's old Raleigh small wheel bike, ok it wasn't electric, but neither of us liked the small wheels. It was not nice to ride at all, didn't feel safe, yes it was a older bike but it's in excellent condition. We are now reluctant to spend so much on buying new e bikes just to be able to get then in the car, so have decided to forget the idea. Will just use our bikes locally, and forget taking them in the car.

D

Deleted member 33385

We borrowed a friend's old Raleigh small wheel bike, ok it wasn't electric, but neither of us liked the small wheels. It was not nice to ride at all, didn't feel safe, yes it was a older bike but it's in excellent condition. We are now reluctant to spend so much on buying new e bikes just to be able to get then in the car, so have decided to forget the idea. Will just use our bikes locally, and forget taking them in the car.

20" folders vary widely in ride quality. Before I quit cycling at the end of the 80s, my bike was a big racer. I now ride a (converted ebike) Dahon Helios P8 folding bike with 20" wheels - it almost rides like a real bike! And close to the speed of my old racer (who am I kidding? It only feels fast because I'm old lol). Try a Dahon or Tern instead, you may be surprised...

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
20" folders vary widely in ride quality. Before I quit cycling at the end of the 80s, my bike was a big racer. I now ride a (converted ebike) Dahon Helios P8 folding bike with 20" wheels - it almost rides like a real bike! And close to the speed of my old racer (who am I kidding? It only feels fast because I'm old lol). Try a Dahon or Tern instead, you may be surprised...
Thanks for your advice, unfortunately I have no chance in my Mrs changing her mind since trying a smaller wheel bike,I wasn’t that keen but suppose I would have got used to it, plus there are no Dagon/ Tern dealers near us, and travelling any long distance to find one in pandemic is a definite no. We have resigned ourselves now that we can’t take the bikes with us in the car, and will just continue to use them for rides from home.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Thanks for your advice, unfortunately I have no chance in my Mrs changing her mind since trying a smaller wheel bike,I wasn’t that keen but suppose I would have got used to it, plus there are no Dagon/ Tern dealers near us, and travelling any long distance to find one in pandemic is a definite no. We have resigned ourselves now that we can’t take the bikes with us in the car, and will just continue to use them for rides from home.
Where about do you live? A member could let you try theirs perhaps.
I'm near to Alton Towers.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Where about do you live? A member could let you try theirs perhaps.
I'm near to Alton Towers.
Thanks for the offer, but we have decided now to stick with the bikes we have and accept we will just use them from home, and forget all about the car idea. End off.

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Thanks for the offer, but we have decided now to stick with the bikes we have and accept we will just use them from home, and forget all about the car idea. End off.
Have you considered a bike carrier?

I used to have a Witter tow ball mounted version. Not cheap, but I could load 3 bikes in less than a minute.

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Have you considered a bike carrier?

I used to have a Witter tow ball mounted version. Not cheap, but I could load 3 bikes in less than a minute.
We looked into the tow bar option a long time ago, I’m not keen on it at all. Plus as you say it’s not cheap, Quote for tow-bar was just under £600 fitted , then another £400 + for the rack. Sorry but it’s not for us.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
We looked into the tow bar option a long time ago, I’m not keen on it at all. Plus as you say it’s not cheap, Quote for tow-bar was just under £600 fitted , then another £400 + for the rack. Sorry but it’s not for us.
Yes we looked at this as well, we were quoted £750 for the tow bar. How times have changed I fitted a tow bar to my Capri for £50! Then we looked at the Thule foldaway Carrier which was about £650. But the deal breaker for us was the size of the carriers and storage issues.

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
I’ve made my 1 second folding Kwikfold bike fold even smaller. You may not have seen one like it. And it rides as good as my ‘real’ Big Bear bike.F05B43C7-019C-4374-98CC-9CD501FF89B9.jpeg

D

Deleted member 33385

I’ve made my 1 second folding Kwikfold bike fold even smaller. You may not have seen one like it. And it rides as good as my ‘real’ Big Bear bike.View attachment 41757

Some small wheeled bikes can ride great! That looks like an interesting bike - more of a squeeze than a fold, looks handy for car boot placement.

D

Deleted member 33385

But not a squeeze on the fingers when ‘folding’. And with the Suntour NCX post and big bum saddle it’s a great ride. It stands upright in the back of the smallest hatchbacks.View attachment 41758

That looks like a 52T chainwheel too - a decent speed then, may well be attained with that bike. Folding bikes can be very good to ride - just not some (most) Raleighs...

Reactions: Marwood Hill

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
This how they look new. Without a folding stem which i fitted myself. This is the new aluminium version. This bike has got all the right bits fitted in the rights places. Rear Bafang motor, disc brakes etc etc.61DDC685-0161-4AAC-8FC8-ACE567FF1586.jpeg

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Have decided not to get folding bikes, she wasn't happy at all riding one, and as the Wisper705 T bikes we have now are in perfect condition , with a new battery on one we have decided to keep them. At present we have a 2017 Ford B Max, which to be fair is a reliable car, have tried to get the bikes in the back but cant easily do it, so i think we are going to look at getting something a bit bigger. I don't like taking the front wheels off to fit them in, but accept it needs to be done. So we have measured the bikes up with the wheels off and are doing some research on suitable cars and people carriers. Thanks to all for all the advice