Folding e-bike for 19.5 stone rider?

Pinksparklybirdy

Just Joined
Mar 14, 2020
Hi there

I just found out my office is moving approx 3 miles away from home, so it would seem worth getting a bike. There are a few considerations:

1) I am fat and unfit at 19.5 stone.
2) I live in a small flat with no easy cycle storage, hence wanting a folding bike.
3) The route to work may incorporate cycling off road in sections (woodland paths).

Is there a folding e-bike out there for the heavier rider? I have seen the Woosh Rambletta but can’t see what the weight limit is for it.
Thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Sotz

Just Joined
Mar 9, 2020
Does your work have a shower? You may consider a non electric bike and you'd end up fit pretty quickly.

Currently I cycle 5 miles to work and I need a shower afterwards, so 3 miles might be fine for you if you can shower and change at work afterwards

You have the extra issue that folding bikes aren't often rated for heavier cyclists, and aren't really designed for off road cycling.

Reactions: Ocsid

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Emanresu

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2019
the Rambletta is OK for up to 17st.
Most engineered products have a tolerance. +/- 15% might put it within the reach of the OP. Or alternatively if you were to state the tolerance, the OP might try to get within it.

As Sotz says, when you start you might get additional benefits as well as getting to your destination.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A Brompton would take your weight, and it's the most compact folding bike when folded.

Kits are better than than the factory electric version, and slightly cheaper.

Nano or Swytch - if you can get one.

One of the smaller batteries, which aren't any bigger than a bag of sugar, should do a six mile round trip.

You still need to ask yourself if a folder would be suitable.

They are a benefit for more compact storage, but are still heavy and unwieldy lumps so not so clever if your flat is up flights of stairs.

Pinksparklybirdy

Just Joined
Mar 14, 2020
Not the cheapest but this folder has an 120kg max rider limit https://batribike.com/product/sigma-white-shadow

I have no experience with these , just found them by searching
Thank you! I ended up ordering one of these - I've only had it 2 days but so far it has been great - it's carrying me along just fine, and I am loving electric biking! I am only starting out with short trips around the local areas as my daily lockdown exercise but it's already making me want to get out there and get cycling, which is a good sign.

For anyone interested in this bike in the future, the only thing I'd say is that it's definitely a heavy lump - bigger than a Brompton - and requires a fair amount of strength to fold (or maybe that's just because I am a bit of a girly weakling) - but in a way that's good because it makes me think it's sturdy enough to carry my sizeable self around. It also fits the brief in terms of being just about small enough to store in my flat, or to get into the boot of the car. I am definitely going to get a velcro strap to tie the wheels together when folded as it doesn't have any magnets etc so has a tendency to ping open.

Reactions: PP100

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Thank you! I ended up ordering one of these - I've only had it 2 days but so far it has been great - it's carrying me along just fine, and I am loving electric biking! I am only starting out with short trips around the local areas as my daily lockdown exercise but it's already making me want to get out there and get cycling, which is a good sign.

For anyone interested in this bike in the future, the only thing I'd say is that it's definitely a heavy lump - bigger than a Brompton - and requires a fair amount of strength to fold (or maybe that's just because I am a bit of a girly weakling) - but in a way that's good because it makes me think it's sturdy enough to carry my sizeable self around. It also fits the brief in terms of being just about small enough to store in my flat, or to get into the boot of the car. I am definitely going to get a velcro strap to tie the wheels together when folded as it doesn't have any magnets etc so has a tendency to ping open.
Great! Glad you found something that suits you.