Folding or regular, prebuilt or converted...advice appreicated !!

Anish

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 18, 2015
Hi All,
Just signed up on this forum so let me start with a big "Hello !!" and a request to go easy on my noob questions.

A bit about me :

1) I am not an avid cycler. I only use bikes for :

a. Primary Commute : 4-5 miles (round trip) on roads/pavements to/from the station....max 10-15 degree inclines
b. Occasional Leisure : Occasional weekend leisure rides (<5miles) with kids. Very occasionally, we do go cycling by the riverside on dry grass or unpaved pathways.

2) I am 6 ft 1 inch tall, weigh around 100kgs and have an inside leg measurement of 32-33"

3) I am reasonably fit and peddle aggressively.

4) I have recently started commuting to London. Here's how my commute looks :

Home = Bike 10mins => Start Station => 1hr 20mins => End Station => Walk 10mins => Work

5) I leave my bike in the enclosed bike shed. Due to bike restrictions on train, I cannot take a full-sized bike on the train. However, I am allowed to take a folding bike on the train.

6) My existing bike needs to be replaced and my employer is enrolled for the Cycle Hire scheme.

What I'm looking for :

1) I want to cut my commute time and have some energy left after reaching home to keep me motivated to continue my gym regime. Ever since I started the long commute, by the time I get home, I am tired enough to skip the gym.

2) I want to get a new bike preferably within £1000 which is the Cycle Hire scheme limit from my employer.

Options I am considering :

1) Buy a regular road bike (Giant Defy 5) and convert to electric.

Pros : Total cost : £300+£500=£800 for a 15-16kg decent bike. Cons : I'll have to leave the bike at the Station and walk at the other end (or use a Hoverboard that I just ordered !!). Moreover, I can't get the conversion kit through the Cycle Hire scheme.

2) Buy a pre-built Folding bike

Pros : Can take it on board the train. Can be put in the car boot on a rainy day when my better half picks me up from the station.
Cons : May not be good for leisure rides on unpaved pathways by the riverside. Heavy to carry on the train. Expensive.

3) Buy a lightweight folding bike (Brompton) and convert to electric

Pros : Can take on board. Easy to carry on train. Can be carried in car boot.
Cons : Not good for country roads, expensive. Can't take the conversion through Cyclehire scheme.

And finally, my questions...

1) Given my requirements above, what do you think is the best option above?
2 ) Any recommendations for the bike make/model/spec that ?
3) There are folding electric bikes under £1000 but at 20kgs aren't these quite heavy to be lugged around the station
4) Will the folding bikes work OK on the occasional ride on country roads?

Anish

Nov 18, 2015
PS ...after posting the thread I realized how long a post I've written out... :)

I guess it's still better to give out all the info I've gathered beforehand to get quality advice than to say..."Can you please tell me which bike to buy" and then leave the forum members to keep asking for more info :)

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I have a Giant Defy 5 myself and have contemplated doing a conversion on it, although i'm more inclined to leave it as an unassisted bike at the moment.
I wouldn't like to leave it for hours chained up at a station. Its a nice looking bike and being Giant make it will attract the attention of thieving scrotes, even more so with an E kit fitted to it. I also wouldn't use it riding over grass or canal paths, its really a bike for paved surfaces only. You'd be better off with a flat bar Hybrid, that you can fit wider tyres to.

I've never been into folders, so i'll leave that to someone else.

Reactions: Anish

Anish

Nov 18, 2015
Thanks Yamdude.

I have the privilege of a bike locker at my local station...there are just 4 or 5 of them and I'm lucky to have one..so not much concerned about the theft bit....

Can I ask how much does the Defy 5 weigh? I recall reading that it's btwn 10-11kgs..so I'm guessing a conversion kit including battery would add another 5kgs to it ...am I correct in my guesstimate ?

...a bike like Defy 5 with its great geometry, at 15kgs in electric is quite an attractive proposition !!

I mostly stay on roads..it's only those small patches (less than 0.5 mile) of gravel pathways, a couple of times during summers...so I guess it should be ok...

Eagerly waiting to hear about the folding bike options......

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The defy 5 weighs about 11-12kgs. A conversion kit will add about 6kgs-7kgs unless you opt for low power assist. There are a few difficulties converting the Defy 5 with standard kits: the gear shifters are integrated inside the brake levers (you will need hidden brake cable sensors) and also the handlebars diameter is 31.8mm. Most kits expect to see a 25.4mm so the collars of the LCD won't fit. For your first conversion, go for a hybrid. If you need a very lightweight e-bike, check out the woosh Karoo.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?karoo

Anish

Nov 18, 2015
Thanks trex.

Based on your valuable inputs, I am ruling out converting a Defy 5.

Regarding Woosh, at 19kgs I don't think Karoo is a light bike. I saw a FreeGo Raptor at 14kgs !! But neither of these are foldable which means I won't be able to carry them on the train anyways. Weight would be an important criteria for me for a foldable electric.
I was looking at the Woosh foldable models like Zephyr-CDN, Zephyr-B, Gallego etc. But no weight mentioned. Any inputs on that? How good are these bikes? Will they work on the occasional country roads?

The defy 5 weighs about 11-12kgs. A conversion kit will add about 6kgs-7kgs unless you opt for low power assist. There are a few difficulties converting the Defy 5 with standard kits: the gear shifters are integrated inside the brake levers (you will need hidden brake cable sensors) and also the handlebars diameter is 31.8mm. Most kits expect to see a 25.4mm so the collars of the LCD won't fit. For your first conversion, go for a hybrid. If you need a very lightweight e-bike, check out the woosh Karoo.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Where do you get 11 to 12 kilos from ?

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Thanks trex.

Regarding Woosh, at 19kgs I don't think Karoo is a light bike. I saw a FreeGo Raptor at 14kgs !! But neither of these are foldable which means I won't be able to carry them on the train anyways. Weight would be an important criteria for me for a foldable electric.
I was looking at the Woosh foldable models like Zephyr-CDN, Zephyr-B, Gallego etc. But no weight mentioned. Any inputs on that? How good are these bikes? Will they work on the occasional country roads?
19kgs is light for an e bike. My Kalkhoff Nexus 8, with a rack and mudguards and lights, weighs in at 25Kgs with a 17ah battery and hydraulic brakes. I think the Raptor is 24V 200W so low powered, fixed wheel, and with a tiny battery.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Where do you get 11 to 12 kilos from ?
correction:

I just weighed my Defy 5 without mudguards, medium sized frame: 10.1 kgs.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Thanks trex.

I weighed just now my Defy 5, 10.1kgs without mudguards. I am still looking around myself for a lightweight solution. About the woosh folders, the Zephyr-B folds but is much more full sized bike than a folding. The Zephyr-CDN is out of stock and being redesigned at the moment. The Gallego is small and light but 16" wheels are too small for me.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I just weighed my Defy 5, 10.1kgs without mudguards. I am still looking around myself for a lightweight solution.
Have you investigated the Keyde? I have a Cube Peloton and was toying with a lightweight conversion for it.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Thanks trex.

I started off on a (cheap) Hopper Shopper Folding ebike sold through Tesco Direct and I used that almost exclusively on country lanes and, indeed, also used it along quite a few forest tracks. Never had any problems. I cant speak for the Woosh foldables but I suspect that, based on my experience with their Big Bear (which I've now upgraded to), anything by Woosh is likely to match or exceed my own experiences.

Reactions: timidtom and Anish

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Have you investigated the Keyde? I have a Cube Peloton and was toying with a lightweight conversion for it.
I've looked at the Keyde kit, too much custom parts for my liking. The D5 is still brand new, only done one little ride on it. The conversion can wait until after Christmas, I still have my Specialized with BBS01.

Anish

Nov 18, 2015
I saw that Raptor was 24v but then thought to myself. If the weight is almost 10kgs less than usual, wouldn't the less powered motor give the same performance ? Or am I wrong in my assumption...am a complete noob to ebikes and almost a layman to regular bikes :)

19kgs is light for an e bike. My Kalkhoff Nexus 8, with a rack and mudguards and lights, weighs in at 25Kgs with a 17ah battery and hydraulic brakes. I think the Raptor is 24V 200W so low powered, fixed wheel, and with a tiny battery.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
The Karoo can be 18.5 kilos if you have the smaller battery 13ah battery, depends how much range you're fussy about..... which i think is a pretty decent weight.
Its a bike i've considered myself.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I rode the new Karoo and like it very much. That's why I am thinking it's time to treat myself to a lightweight bike so when I saw yamdude's post about the Giant Defy 5, I bought one the same day.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I saw that Raptor was 24v but then thought to myself. If the weight is almost 10kgs less than usual, wouldn't the less powered motor give the same performance ? Or am I wrong in my assumption...am a complete noob to ebikes and almost a layman to regular bikes :)
Weight isn’t the only thing or even the main thing to consider. When moving at even 15 mph air resistance is more important than weight. The Raptor seems like a bike for a keen cyclist who doesn’t ride up hills too much. A flat city bike really. For that sort of bike I would prefer a Momentum Upstart.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I've looked at the Keyde kit, too much custom parts for my liking. The D5 is still brand new, only done one little ride on it. The conversion can wait until after Christmas, I still have my Specialized with BBS01.
What are you thinking of then? There really aren’t that many light conversions and I remember d8veh reckoned that this was one of the best.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
You could consider this as well......

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-crossfire-e-mens-electric-bike

It states 9ah battery but a poster on here has just bought one and it actually comes with an 11ah battery. Also has hydraulic disc brakes and different frame sizes. It'll be heavier than the Karoo but it'll be a more comfortable ride.
Also its easy to go back to Halfords if there's any problems with it...... plus you may get a discount on it by joining British Cycling Membership.