Forum members who perform e-bikes conversions for a fee?

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
Hello all

I am looking to build a destricted bike with a 1000w-1500w motor and a big battery (48v-60v, 20-30amp). Most of the bike shops I've contacted are either collection only (and are far away from my town, Hull) or they only offer road-legal e-bikes and don't/won't do custom jobs.

Is anyone here who is knowledgeable in the subject, professional or otherwise, and who is willing to build a bike for me for a fee? Alternatively, anyone who I can consult on every step of the way (finding the right frame, motor, battery, controller and putting everything together)?

Thanks

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Have a word with Frank at Xipi. They only do high powered e-bike conversions. Oxford is quite a bit closer and perhaps they would ship to you. Frank is a forum member, hasn't been here for quite a while, but knows his stuff on high powered e-bikes. In particular have a look at their commuter model, 25 mph and good hill climbing, but they also have 35 mph and 50 mph models.

Below is the contact page:

Xipi.co

• Informative

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
Have a word with Frank at Xipi. They only do high powered e-bike conversions. Oxford is quite a bit closer and perhaps they would ship to you. Frank is a forum member, hasn't been here for quite a while, but knows his stuff on high powered e-bikes. In particular have a look at their commuter model, 25 mph and good hill climbing, but they also have 35 mph and 50 mph models.

Below is the contact page:

Xipi.co
Thank you flecc.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• Informative
I have contacted Brighton Bikes. They said they don't ship to Hull; I have to get down there and collect it.
Hey minime,
To clarify. It not that I have anything again Hull specifically!
I do ship stuff all over the country and Europe.
It's just at the moment I've taken a decision not to ship complete e-bikes following a few bad experiences with couriers and items arriving damaged.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
Hey minime,
To clarify. It not that I have anything again Hull specifically!
I do ship stuff all over the country and Europe.
It's just at the moment I've taken a decision not to ship complete e-bikes following a few bad experiences with couriers and items arriving damaged.
Of course, I figured as much. I thought of taking the train to Brighton but it's a five hour ride each way.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there are loads on ebay just check there feedback first as no way it will get damaged just it costs more than putting it in a box and then the risk of it getting damaged.

I'm pretty sure I've used this guy when I sold my Motorbike and was thorough and trustworthy. Not like a next day service but the best things come to those who wait and all that.
On the high power tip, understanding this is for use on private land, some BBSHD kits are due in UK mid/end April along with Tigershark 48V 14.5Ah batteries.
If you can't wait, I've a Yoch 1000W set up on offer.
Coupled with the van man transit option opens up options.
;)

Reactions: soundwave

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
No. Special order that one ;)
Very interesting. Do you install just the kits you have on your website or can you do all of the kits available? For example, if I were to have a conversion kit, battery and donor bike shipped to you, could you put everything together?

I solely work with the BBSxx mid-drive motors and installing them to suitable bikes. No hub motors, traction drives or ought else. Providing the selection of parts you supply are all compatible and the donor bike is suitable, then the answer is yes. You would need to ensure that.
Usually, I prefer to meet in person and insist on collection for the aforementioned reasons, but I may be able to work with the motorcycle transit suggestion put forward by SW?
This arrangement can, however, cause delays as it's far from a next day service, but I know you've been thinking about this for a while now.
What I can't do in this arrangement, is guarantee compatibility and suitability of the supplied bike and parts from afar. It can also lead to warranty conflicts if the suppliers are not aware of your planned usage etc. That's your call.

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
I solely work with the BBSxx mid-drive motors and installing them to suitable bikes. No hub motors, traction drives or ought else. Providing the selection of parts you supply are all compatible and the donor bike is suitable, then the answer is yes. You would need to ensure that.
Usually, I prefer to meet in person and insist on collection for the aforementioned reasons, but I may be able to work with the motorcycle transit suggestion put forward by SW?
This arrangement can, however, cause delays as it's far from a next day service, but I know you've been thinking about this for a while now.
What I can't do in this arrangement, is guarantee compatibility and suitability of the supplied bike and parts from afar. It can also lead to warranty conflicts if the suppliers are not aware of your planned usage etc. That's your call.
Finding suitable and compatible components is tricky as I don't know what to look out for. I was thinking of getting a new bike from Halford (or a used bike from ebay), a conversion kit also from ebay and a battery/smart charger from Aliexpress.

Finding suitable and compatible components is tricky as I don't know what to look out for. I was thinking of getting a new bike from Halford (or a used bike from ebay), a conversion kit also from ebay and a battery/smart charger from Aliexpress.
Yes, I can totally understand that. To a degree that's why I do what I do. I hand pick things that I think are good and will work well together. I test, I try new things, I scratch some down to experience and others I repeat.
Forums and websites such as this are a great source of information, if you put in the time to read there is a wealth of information and some amazingly helpful folk out there online.
Ideally I would be based in Leeds or somewhere central to the whole UK I guess, but I'm not, I'm right on the South Coast in Brighton. The sun shines a fair bit more than other places I've lived in the past and I like it here ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I live in Ashford, Kent, but we love going to Brighton. Must pop in next time i'm down. Also, after living in Cumbria, yes we do get a few more degrees and sun shine in the south.

Reactions: brightonebikes

Advertisers