Fox Antifreeze - Feb 2017

Highside43

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2016
Aberdovey
www.cubeengineering.co.uk
Just entered it with SteveUKLSRA (Steve persuaded me to join him at the event), anyone else doing it?

Feb 26th at Coed Y Brennin.

http://www.dyfievents.com/events/antifreeze/

I will also be doing a couple of downhill mini enduro's next year so will keep you posted - got the bug for it after the one at Forest of Dean last October. :)

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Sounds interesting. No mention of emtb's that I can see?
Bike
Any good quality MTB will be fine for this event, be it rigid, hardtail or full suspension, 26″, 27.5″ or 29″, plus bike, fat bike or plain old regular flavour. It doesn’t matter so long as its in a good functional condition, fits you and you are comfortable riding it.

I reckon that would include e-MTB's. :)

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'd imagine that there is some fantastic riding to be had. :)

The event certainly appeals, and I have a couple of events lined up myself for next year, but luckily they are local to me.

In truth, these days I loathe driving any distance on UK roads, and would much sooner just hop across the channel to traffic free roads.
It was actually something that cropped up last night when out for a beer with my regular ride partner. We were talking about hitting France and Belgium a few times in 2017 for some group rides. Channel crossing time aside, we could be in the Ardennes in about the same time that it would say to get to bike Park Wales or similar, and could make a cheap weekend break of it. :)

Last edited:

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
I'd imagine that there is some fantastic riding to be had. :)

The event certain appeals, and I have a couple of events lined up myself for next year, but luckily they are local to me.

In truth, these days I loathe driving any distance on UK roads, and would much sooner just hop across the channel to traffic free roads.
It was actually something that cropped up last night when out for a beer with my regular ride partner. We were talking about hitting France and Belgium a few times in 2017 for some group rides. Channel crossing time aside, we could be in the Ardennes in about the same time that it would say to get to bike Park Wales or similar, and could make a cheap weekend break of it. :)
Similarities between Wales and the Ardennes:

Both countries speak a foreign language
Both are mountainous and unending
Both have foreign foods (Cawl and frogs legs)
Both have great roads paid for by the EU (us)
No matter how much you explain they will both think you are Londoners

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Bike
Any good quality MTB will be fine for this event, be it rigid, hardtail or full suspension, 26″, 27.5″ or 29″, plus bike, fat bike or plain old regular flavour. It doesn’t matter so long as its in a good functional condition, fits you and you are comfortable riding it.

I reckon that would include e-MTB's. :)
That was my assumption LeighPing:(...I thought I'd check with Dyfi Events yesterday and this was their reply...

Dyfi MTB Events 22 December 14:52
Hi Steve. I'm afraid that we can't allow eMTBs in the event. Currently we don't have an ebike category in any of our event but it is certainly something we will be monitoring and there may be the scope to add an eBike class to some of our events in the future. Right now, much as we would love to accommodate this style of bike they are not treated by our insurers as the same as traditional pedal MTB's and are not covered by our current policy. Likewise we do not currently risk assessment for this type of power assisted bicycle in our event so there are risk factors that we don't presently have control plans for. Re: Entry information. We have never felt the need to say that we do not allow eMTBs in our event in the same way that we have never felt the need to mention that we don't allow motorcycles or cars. It should be pretty clear that this is an endurance mountain bike cycle event, not one for powered or assisted power motorised bikes. Hope this clears things up. Regards Toby

So, it's a non-starter Highside:confused:...I've emailed the booking agents about a refund and am waiting to hear back from them. If that's not successful, this event is going to be over-subscribed again, so they are easily sold/transferred before the event on a dedicated FB page.

It's a real pity that we couldn't get some sort of get together of like-minded ebikers at this years Antifreeze and it was to be my first "proper" ride after we move house:( Just throwing it out there, but could we not still have a meeting at Coed y Brenin (where they welcome us cheaters:D) around the same time in 2017 and rip up the trails for a day (metaphorically speaking of course), put faces to names and generally put the world to rights:)

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Re: Entry information. We have never felt the need to say that we do not allow eMTBs in our event in the same way that we have never felt the need to mention that we don't allow motorcycles or cars. It should be pretty clear that this is an endurance mountain bike cycle event, not one for powered or assisted power motorised bikes. Hope this clears things up. Regards Toby
'Toby' likens e-MTB's to cars and motorbikes! That's a ridiculously, uneducated statement. Clearly another one that would be shouting 'Cheater', and does not see the bigger picture. Nor, does he embrace the future.

I'm sure that plenty of older adults and disabled riders, that make good use of our bikes, might have liked to be given the same access as others in such events. I don't see what the issue is myself.

Probably 'No pain, no gain'. :rolleyes:

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I've posted this on their facebook page. I wonder if I'll get a response? Click to view. o_O

Hi, I've just been informed that this event will not allow e-MTB's to take part. A shame really, as it excludes a number of entrants that intended to take part this year.

"Re: Entry information by 'Toby'. We have never felt the need to say that we do not allow eMTBs in our event in the same way that we have never felt the need to mention that we don't allow motorcycles or cars."

As they've been likened to motorbikes and cars, perhaps next year's event committee might take the time to educate themselves a bit more on these type of mountain bikes and on the benefits of including applicants that use these bikes for various personal reasons. Most bike shows will have them there for all to see and consider in the bigger picture for the future of mountain biking.

Until next time, would you mind adjusting the event web page to include this decision. Thanks.

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
I can see where he's coming from with the Insurance side of things, but agree with you LP on his blinkered view...I'm going to follow this up with a few well meaning emails to see if they can't look into it. Coed y Brenin rents/sells eMTBs and welcomes them on any other day of the year, so get with the program Toby my friend:)

Highside43

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2016
Aberdovey
www.cubeengineering.co.uk
Ah....

I'll put my 2p's worth in over the Christmas break to Toby, and will also be asking for a refund.

Guess the mini enduro series will be the first race of 2017 - there were 10 of us e-bikers taking part on the day, so a few more entrants would be good.

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Ah....

I'll put my 2p's worth in over the Christmas break to Toby, and will also be asking for a refund.

Guess the mini enduro series will be the first race of 2017 - there were 10 of us e-bikers taking part on the day, so a few more entrants would be good.
Can you post up a link to the mini enduros please Highside:)...and sorry for the cockup on this one *hangs head*, guess it's my go for the brews;)

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Thanks for the link, saved in favourites and there's nothing about the 2017 season on there yet HS:)

Some of their previous race reports are closer to the Midlands and maybe one of those (Llandegla?) would be good for more of "team pedelecs":D to meet & ride (I'll be slotting a 250W BBS01B in mine for any outings like this or use the Whyte 46 with the same 250W motor, to join in with the spirit of things).

I'm surprised that there isn't any regular meets/rides in the ebike world like there is with the motorcycling fraternity, many on here seem to ride the same routes, but rarely bump into each other or plan that classic day out. Hopefully, this year will see a reversal in the trend and we can get some meets organised on some scenic trails, competitive enduros or maybe just the pub for some banter:p

Reactions: chris130256

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Dyfi MTB Events said;-

As stated, motor powered bicycles are not currently covered by our public liability insurance. Our insurers see motor assisted bikes as being very different to traditional pedal powered MTBs. We are certainly not anti eBike. Our partners at Beics Brenin hire and sell eBikes and so long as they are legal they can be ridden on the trails at Coed y Brenin. Alongside this we do not currently risk-assess for this type of bike in our events safety planning. If demand grows we hope to be able to accommodate these bikes in future, either in a separate class for UK legal powered bicycles or possibly in an entirely separate event. We certainly embrace this new technology and hope to be able to accommodate eBikes when we have done suitable groundwork on safety and have appropriate insurance in place. Safety and providing the best experience for riders all at our events remains our primary concern.

We have updated the 'Bike' section of the event web page to include the following: PLEASE NOTE: eBikes, motor assisted pedal mountain bikes are currently NOT PERMITTED to take part in this or any of our other events. This is not due to any resistance we have to this type of bike but because of restrictions in the terms of our events public liability insurance. We will continue to investigate and review options with insurers and hope to find a way to offer something for ebike riders in the future. Currently, for safety and insurance reasons, any rider attempting to take part in one of our events on a motor assisted bike will be disqualified and removed from the event.

Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

Related Articles

Advertisers