Free AVG and online banking ?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Ive always used free AVG on my laptop, but up until now have not done my banking online.

Any advice/opinions on whether this is adequate ?
My instincts are that I should pay for their upgrade protection which covers banking security.

Are my instincts right ?

Lynda :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks clockwise, btw I use chrome and I tend to be brand loyal so I want to stay with AVG as Ive always found it easy and good, its just I dont think the free version is enough.
Does anyone else risk online banking with the free avg cover ?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks alan thats reassuring to hear....might have saved myself £36 then :cool:

Richard_M

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Ely, East Englia.
Great news, Lynda. I've been banking online for 3 years with AVG free too. Nothing alarming has happened. Also on Linux with no antivirus at all, but that's an entirely different topic.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Great news, Lynda. I've been banking online for 3 years with AVG free too. Nothing alarming has happened. Also on Linux with no antivirus at all, but that's an entirely different topic.
Seems like I have been worrying over nothing then, and sounds like it would be a better idea to buy you all a drink with the £36 instead of giving it to AVG :cool:

D

Deleted member 4366

A much better solution is to put Ubuntu Linux on a spare laptop, and use it for anything that requires security. Linux is all plug and play these days and easier than Windows, plus it's free and so is all associated software. You use Linux on your smartphone already.

Richard_M

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Ely, East Englia.
A much better solution is to put Ubuntu Linux on a spare laptop.
Good man ! This is indeed a different topic, but an old laptop with a duff battery and Windows 'issues' with a hard drive full of junk is an ideal candidate. Just trash Windows. Installing Ubuntu trashes all previous content and off you go. Rock solid, runs as if new and free. I asked about for old laptops and I was inundated, all have Windows issues or duff batteries. Ideal 'net workhorses.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Ive always used free AVG on my laptop, but up until now have not done my banking online.

Any advice/opinions on whether this is adequate ?
My instincts are that I should pay for their upgrade protection which covers banking security.

Are my instincts right ?

Depends which bank you intend using, mine issued free downloads of "Rapport". This is set up on my main PC to cover Paypal transactions as well as occasional transactions through my second bank..Santander.

Virus protection on that machine is the default Virgin Media protection which comes free with the broadband contract. The laptop is covered by the paid up version of AGV, I do sometimes purchase on Ebay with the laptop. The virus protection on either machine never interferes with secure connection online transactions.

Regards accessing my account online. HSBC requires a one-time-only 6 digit code generated by the credit card sized keycode pad. Transactions above preset value also require the use of the keycode pad to complete the transaction. Vericode is also used by HSBC, but only with participating retailers.

In the six years I have been using online banking, the now defunct Mastercard was compromised twice in a very short space of time. The first was by a lady in France who clobbered my card for £6oo worth of beauty treatment (honest). My bank cancelled the card and refunded without question. For various reasons, it was five days before I activated the new card, which was promptly clouted for £178 for an airline ticket by some joker in Russia. It turned out, HSBC had a dodgy IT manager in India who was selling thousands of card details for £4 each....My new card was compromised even before I activate it.

In answer to your original question, find out from your bank what security system is in use for online account access, then do a google search to see what the general concensus of opinion is on that particular system. As I understand it, any secure connection, indicated in your address bar as "shttp" requires no interrogation by any virus protection software.

I'll have to confess, I'm starting to find it difficult to get my head round the ever increasing security systems surrounding my online account. So much so, that I have taken to keeping a substantial amount of hard cash in a very secure safe at home...if I succeed in totally locking my cards, at least I can buy food etc. Apparently, I am not alone in taking such steps.

Advantages of online banking, in my opinion greatly out-weigh the disadvantages of branch counter banking. If some rotten blighter sends me a sweet old-fashioned cheque, I have to drive into town, pay £4 to park the car, only to stuff the cheque into an automated machine.

Imagine my joy, when the AA tried to increase my annual subscription from £57 up to £175, apparently because after five years I became a "gold" member, of logging on to my bank account and cancelling the direct debit with immediate effect. Being in control is very satisfying.

melspea

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2013
Because I have Spanish and English bank accounts, I use Santander for most of my banking. They supply free the Trusteer Rapport system which is used massively by all sorts of banks (and other companies) worldwide.

Now that they have put right all the early teething problems, having hit the scene running and taking on the major players on the High St, they are really good to do business with now.

A Mac provides a fine balance between usability, security, ease of use and great build integrity without going for the left-field choice of Linux which really does nothing better than Apple machines. I have been using Macs since the 90s and never had any problems nor damage from viruses. Currently, I use the latest 13" Air model for most things and find it to be the best Mac of the six I have owned, five of which I still have and they all work.

This latest Air model easily lasts a full day and then some on battery alone, net-surfing, emailing, reading news and listening to a bit of music. Things have really moved on!

Here's some free consumer advice: Don't buy a MacBook Pro Retina model at the present time as the upgraded chipsets as used in the latest Air models are still several months away on the Pro models. The screen is to die for but it's pricey and the 13" Pro is actually slower right now than the equivalent Air model in most applications.

Just as an aside almost, all major banks protect customers from online fraud and robbery losses provided customers have taken reasonable precautions to protect login data.

Melissa

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
EBikes and parking

Advantages of online banking, in my opinion greatly out-weigh the disadvantages of branch counter banking. If some rotten blighter sends me a sweet old-fashioned cheque, I have to drive into town, pay £4 to park the car, only to stuff the cheque into an automated machine.

DRIVE into town? Do you not have an electric bicycle?

C

Cyclezee

Lynda,

Just get a Mac or as others have advised ditch Windows and install Ubuntu.

Unfortunately, I am still having to use Windows on my Mac to run Sage, but I am going to switch to the online version then it will be goodbye Windows.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
You are all getting a bit techie for me now lol

Bob, you are lucky, my spanish card got 'used' in france to pay for over €3000 in a brothel.....he must have had an exhausting night lol

The ensuing 4 month long battle with Banesto to get this money returned to my account, I wont bore you with the horrendous spanish red tape,including interviews with the Guardia Civil, ended with me changing to Unicaja.

I now cant use my unicaja card online as their security involves sending you a code to your spanish mobile, which I no longer have,so I can only use it with the pin in a machine.....

I too have problems with all these passwords and security pins and codes, so I have written coded clues in a book, great just as long as I remember the clues .......:confused:

Ive never heard of Ubuntu but I will look into it. I quite like windows8 though and cant afford a Mac !

Im banking with Natwest .
( yes, John.....2 years free banking not 18months like you haha )

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm another with AVG and online banking, never the slightest problem.

I found the Trusteer Rapport a nuisance though and soon scrapped it.

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I'm another with AVG and online banking, never the slightest problem.

I found the Trusteer Rapport a nuisance though and soon scrapped it.
Just the free version flecc ?

Advertisers