Free public battery charging scheme

What do you think about the battery charging scheme?

• Total voters

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Hi all,

This poll is to gage support among the forum community for a project which is in the planning stages for establishing a nationwide network of charging point businesses where ebike owners can recharge their batteries free of charge.

We would like to know whether you would find such a scheme useful?

BrianSmithers

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2011
DA1
Leaving a £200 (or more) battery laying around for 4 hours or so while I go away somewhere peddling an unpowered e-bike? - hard to see how that will work. The electricity is cheap enough I suppose, but how would it be funded if you included the ability to lock that battery away safely?

- Brian

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
Leaving a £200 (or more) battery laying around for 4 hours or so while I go away somewhere peddling an unpowered e-bike? - hard to see how that will work. The electricity is cheap enough I suppose, but how would it be funded if you included the ability to lock that battery away safely?

- Brian
Its hard to know how useful it would be without knowing how extensive it might be. Battery security is an obvious issue. If the points were attatched to obvious rest/watering holes it might be more useful in that people could stop to recharge themselves and recharge the bike at the same time.

I watched a youtube vid about a similar idea being used in relation to electric cars in the states.

earwig

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2014
The idea sounds good but, like with cars needs fast chargers, which don't exist. What do you do for 2 or 3 hours while it is charging?

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Charging points at pubs:)
Job sorted.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
The idea sounds good but, like with cars needs fast chargers, which don't exist. What do you do for 2 or 3 hours while it is charging?
'Top-up charging'... never let yourself run completely dry ;-)

For those who have, find your nearest library/cybercafe CP and loose yourself in a book or go online/watch a movie :p

Advertisers