Freego battery Replacement

XERIOD3708

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 17, 2014
WEST WILTSHIRE
sites.google.com
Hi David,
Have asking around about replacing my 16Ah Battery on my 2 year and 3 month old eagle, seems one of the cells wont accept a charge and the charger switches on and off.Definitely the battery as tried with another charger and battery.
I know they are only guaranteed for 2 years, so half expected to buy one some time after 2 years......
I have looked on the freego web site and no where does it mention about recycling the old battery, seems too good to throw away all that metal work and charging system electronics.

I am surprised that there is no mention of a trade in price to make sure the old units get returned ?

simon c

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Lithium batteries are RoHS compliant. No hazardous substance inside.
Any Council tip will take them, no need to send them back to manufacturers.
You don't have to replace the battery after two year, wait until it fails.
Remember, use it or lose it, the more often you ride, the longer your battery will last.

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
I would guess there is insufficient value in the casing and electronics to warrant the costs of re-cycling it. Best do as Trex says.
I have the same bike and battery, 3 years 1 month and still going. Range is reduced a bit but I can still get 35-40 miles using medium assist.

Pharisee

May 9, 2011
I have two 14Ah batteries for my 905se City S. They're both 3.1/2 years old now and I've noticed no degradation in performance or range. They get used frequently and as a lot of my cycling is across country on by-ways and bridal paths, they're not used lightly. The 'spare' fits nicely on the carrier rack and they give me a usable range of around 60-70 miles. They are always re-charged as soon as I return home, irrespective of how much they've been used and are never left in a discharged or half charged state. I believe that's secret to keeping them in good condition. At over 500 of our fine British quids apiece, you have to look after them!!

• Informative
Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
£500+ for one battery is way way WAY too much......................
Why so expensive?
Can internal components be replaced

XERIOD3708

Oct 17, 2014
WEST WILTSHIRE
sites.google.com
Now have my new 16Ah battery for the bike, I intend to remove all the old cells inside the failed battery and test them, who knows maybe its only one cell thats bad and will try and source the individual cells, after all the cells are no doubt similar to other batteries

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Guys, the reason Wisper batteries last so long is because of the high quality not only of the battery but the charger too, they are perfectly matched. As long as Wisper batteries are looked after properly, basically never flatten the battery and leaving it in the shed for any time! They will go on for years. Being nearly 600Wh also helps enormously, even after the battery has lost 30% of its capacity it will still have over 400Wh left.

We have batteries out there 7 years old and still working well.

All the best

David

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Why can't the internal battery pack be replaced?

The charger works fine
The case is still good
The wiring and indicator lights are all fine

The blue shrink wrapped battery pack is ALL that is required.

The battery pack has only 4 wires- easy to replace in original case
Why splash out OVER £500 when all that is needed is a replacement pack
Getting reasonably priced battery pack should be made available, an option for customers/owners to consider .

Others have posted about the battery being expensive

Any cost savings to wisper owners would be welcomed
A sale is better than no sale at all.

I'm away furra another tody after my rant.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
We can replace the cells however, the cells and BMS is where the money is spent. So if a battery is so old that it is not charging well, it would be worth changing the whole thing.

All the best

David

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
BMS was/is fine- bike was left for some months when wife had her operations and was unable to get out and about.
Bike was the least of our worries at that time.

Surely a replacement battery pack can be bought from your suppliers at less than £500+ quotation
Could buy a new bike for that.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Now have my new 16Ah battery for the bike, I intend to remove all the old cells inside the failed battery and test them, who knows maybe its only one cell thats bad and will try and source the individual cells, after all the cells are no doubt similar to other batteries
Hi there,

I helped my friend fixing her wisper 16ah battery which was only 3 years with light use. The charger won't charge the battery (BMS shut off) and I found out some cells voltage are too low.

I charged the cells individually and was able to wake up the BMS. The battery is now working fine.

If you need any help how I did it just ask :)

Pat

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi
BMS was/is fine- bike was left for some months when wife had her operations and was unable to get out and about.
Bike was the least of our worries at that time.

Surely a replacement battery pack can be bought from your suppliers at less than £500+ quotation
Could buy a new bike for that.
Would you like to return your battery to us at FWG? We would be pleased to check it out for you to see if we can resurrect it. We charge £30 for collection and £10 to do the checks. We cant predict whether the battery will be fixable and would need to charge for parts and labour, return would be £30. All plus VAT.

All the best

David

XERIOD3708

Oct 17, 2014
WEST WILTSHIRE
sites.google.com
Hi Pat

thanks for the reply about getting my duff battery working again, I will eventually get around to removing the 3 cells from the 17ah battery and try charging them up, did you use a normal 12v car battery charger just for a 30 mins or so to make the on board battery controller think they were ok to charge up normally ?

cheers

simon c Warminster

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
I could post the dead battery down via Yodel/Parcel2go/PasileyFreight etc
if you can renew the pack and give costings

The battery pack has been cut open to see the individual cells inside- thinking I could just buy these (RC planes)- or replace entire wisper pack with another.

The £££ to inspect the dead battery pack would be better going towards a new battery pack.

Is the battery supplier (China) not willing to sell just the battery pack?
Have they been asked?

D

Deleted member 4366

You can use any 36v battery you want. You only have to find a way to mount it and run the wires through to the controller.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
or buy a smilarly shaped 16AH behind seat post battery and transplant the cell pack to the old case. A new 16AH battery costs about £300-£350.

D

Deleted member 4366

Surely, if you buy a silver fish type, you don't have to transplant anything. It should slot straight in.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the lock or the ouput connector maybe of the wrong shape or placed at the wrong postion.

Advertisers